↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Too low Coolant temps? (Warm climate overheat..)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
And those temps I've given you are during the British summer (warm and wet) not winter when it would run lower, probably not by much, but certainly not higher. So sounds like your mod is spot on Thumbs Up

Andy
Post #367495 27th Oct 2014 2:30pm
munch90

England 
cant see any problem with 80-82c
Post #367497 27th Oct 2014 2:36pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
My scan gauge never goes over 86 it appears to fluctuate between 82 and 86, ie it will warm up to 86, then drop quite quickly to about 82 and then remain at about 84 no extremes seen but has an easy life, not towing or thrashing and is standard tune, cant say how accurate it is though DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #367503 27th Oct 2014 2:47pm
Regard

South Africa 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
Mmmmm....

So maybe I should also go and chat to this Indy.

As discussed on our local forum, it seems as if my Puma is one of the "cooler running" Pumas and on most average days (26-34degC) at 120km/h (80mls/h) mine would hang around 88-93degC. A few others would run at 90-104degC.

As I mentioned before, we have a real issue down here with blown head gaskets (3 local forum members in a few weeks and as mentioned 11 Pumas at this specific indy in 6 months). So this can only assist.

So good idea all in all... Thumbs Up
Post #367513 27th Oct 2014 3:29pm
kirk

United Arab Emirates 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Blenheim Silver
Regard,

It would be very helpful to know the details of the replacement thermostat (FL2) used in this modification. I would be very interested in giving it a try on my Puma 2.4 here in the UAE.

At ambient temps around 40c, my Puma 2.4 runs between 88 - 92 at speeds less than 120/125 kph. Any faster (or up hill in gear 6) and coolant temps climb to +100c. And this is with an upgraded intercooler. Reported temps are measured with a scangage.

A few months ago, I tried to fix the overheating issue by replacing the original thermostat. The replacement thermostat was an aftermarket part. It didnt fix the issue. I then purchased a second Land Rover genuine replacement part...but I still have the same overheat issue on long hill climbs or speeds over 120/125 kph.

Thank you for the idea.

Kirk
Post #369773 5th Nov 2014 6:54pm
Regard

South Africa 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
I will try and find out for you.

From what I've read here it might sound like the "warm weather" thermostat from the FLI that they isntall.

Will let you know asap.
Post #369797 5th Nov 2014 8:43pm
Tjhappel

United States 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I have been driving my car in the southwest part of US and northern Mexico for 2 years, have had blown head gasket due to overheating, same temp problems as reported in uae and s. Africa. I have literally dome everything you can imagine to get it to run cooler in hot temps. Have a larger intercooler, had a shop make a larger radiator (helped a bit) switched to an electric fan then back again.. Needless to say I've thrown a ton of money at the problem and I really think it's an inherent design issue. I've spoken with a ton of LR techs in aus and they said some 2.4s got hot, LR just replaced the engines under warranty. Unfortunately for me that's no longer an option but seems crazy there isn't a specific fix for it. If I tow a trailer and its warm out, anything over 24-25 outside and any uphill, temps go up over 100c quickly and will go up to 110c, even if I back off the throttle. Then it goes into limp mode etc... Stop repeat process over and over. Very annoying!

I've just decided to stop using that vehicle on hot days for towing or much else. Crappy option and I'm sure owners in other climates understand how annoying it is. If it's cool out you can drive hard and fast all day and it won't budge above 92-93, crazy how outside air temps affect a vehicle so badly.
Post #370417 8th Nov 2014 8:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pannawonica

Australia 
I am sorry too here about your overheating problems. I observed ambient of 44c yesterday when not towing, but well loaded and saw 88-92c on the ultra guage. I thought nothing of it as this is usual. When towing my 2 ton trailer, yes I would see more but it is only a 4cylinder 2 litre @. I have a bug guard and a couple of cook arse spots on the front that if I remove I would expect it too run a little cooler! I would just ease off a little and keep a cooler head.i really do think a remap and the normal collection of mods help. Very Happy
Post #370484 9th Nov 2014 12:11am
Tim seymour

Australia 
K9F wrote:
I do run a remap and having swapped my intercooler for a larger one I noticed a 2-3 degree drop over previous figures. I recently sat at between 70-85mph for over 7 hours on European motorways in an ambient temperature of 24-26 degrees and my temperature never rose above 88 degrees. Also the temperature drops quicker from hard driving when reverting back to slower speeds.
Hi what do you think i have just put a set of 235 tyers on mine and noticed the temp climb over 90 and iam not towing my van do you think the freelander 2 thermostat would be the go cheers Tim Smile Cess the Taswegian
Post #370973 11th Nov 2014 8:08am
Tim seymour

Australia 
Partyranger wrote:
Thanks Andy,

That is exactly the type of info I am looking for. There was a concern that the Puma was running too cold at 80degC but I am now starting to feel better about it.

That is pretty much exactly what we have found after the thermostat mod. Normal temps in the low 80's and then when pushing hard up long hills it will still climb towards the 100deg mark but not nearly as often as it used to previously.
Thumbs Up
I can get a warm weather thermostat from atlantic britsh for a discovery 2 will that work sheers Cess the Taswegian
Post #371331 12th Nov 2014 9:12pm
munch90

England 
right ive tried the lower temp thermostat which is a gray one 82o with light spring

only done one shortish run so far results using scangauge

yes is running cooler before would see temps of about 86-90 now about 80-84 mainly 82ish

seemed to take longer to warm up (but maybe never really taken notice of it before )

temp seemed to go up and down by few degrees when warming up (but maybe never really taken notice of it before )

once warmed up seemed to stay bit more steady , but when you put your foot down temp dropped within few seconds by few degrees

temp going up and down bit when first warming up could be bit of air in system ( level has dropped a bit after the run )

don't know about towing as not done any , but before I felt that maybe temp (maybe see 94-96 on a hill ) was up a bit more then I would have liked when towing before

dash gauge never showed any drops or rises as they not that sensitive I think as normally centre postion has quite a large range
Post #372023 16th Nov 2014 7:07pm
dgardel

Italy 
Tim seymour wrote:
Partyranger wrote:
Thanks Andy,

That is exactly the type of info I am looking for. There was a concern that the Puma was running too cold at 80degC but I am now starting to feel better about it.

That is pretty much exactly what we have found after the thermostat mod. Normal temps in the low 80's and then when pushing hard up long hills it will still climb towards the 100deg mark but not nearly as often as it used to previously.
Thumbs Up
I can get a warm weather thermostat from atlantic britsh for a discovery 2 will that work sheers

Discovery 2 warm weather thermostat is a Land Rover Original Spare with P/N PEL500110 Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #372094 17th Nov 2014 12:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
munch90

England 
The pel500110 is the gray 82o light spring one
Post #372098 17th Nov 2014 12:11am
dgardel

Italy 
Correct! The normal one open at 88°C (LR004618)

from the workshop Manual:
"The coolant pump is installed at the front, LH side of the cylinder block and is secured with 4 bolts. The coolant pump is driven by the accessory drive belt via the crankshaft. The engine thermostat begins to open at 88°C (190°F)." Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #372107 17th Nov 2014 12:43am
Tim seymour

Australia 
thermostat
munch90 wrote:
right ive tried the lower temp thermostat which is a gray one 82o with light spring

only done one shortish run so far results using scangauge

yes is running cooler before would see temps of about 86-90 now about 80-84 mainly 82ish

seemed to take longer to warm up (but maybe never really taken notice of it before )

temp seemed to go up and down by few degrees when warming up (but maybe never really taken notice of it before )

once warmed up seemed to stay bit more steady , but when you put your foot down temp dropped within few seconds by few degrees

temp going up and down bit when first warming up could be bit of air in system ( level has dropped a bit after the run )

don't know about towing as not done any , but before I felt that maybe temp (maybe see 94-96 on a hill ) was up a bit more then I would have liked when towing before

dash gauge never showed any drops or rises as they not that sensitive I think as normally centre postion has quite a large range
great keep us posted really keen I orded one last Friday great insurance cheers tim Cess the Taswegian
Post #372147 17th Nov 2014 12:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>