↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Brake upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
OleDave

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Indus Silver
Brake upgrades
Hi again guys I am back with another question or maybe someone can point me to a previous post on the topic

I have a 2007 Puma county and I would like to improve braking if possible as they are not great, the pads and calipers are fine but a friend of mine who also has a Defender advised that the brakes on his are the same as mine, not great!! has anyone done any upgrades on these? I have thought of fitting grooved discs and mintext pads at the next brake change to see if that made any difference? but any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #362863 7th Oct 2014 2:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bionicmunky

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
TMD to an upgrade as do some of the other customising outfits (Twisted, ALive, UrbanTruck?)

http://www.tunemydefender.com/wheels-and-tyres
Post #362866 7th Oct 2014 3:08pm
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Cheapest option is to fit Green Stuff pads. Best on faced discs. Certainly a low cost improvement.

Merlin
Post #362899 7th Oct 2014 4:45pm
OleDave

Thanks guys, what are green stuff pads Merlin?

Many thanks ole dave
Post #362951 7th Oct 2014 7:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Google 'Green Stuff' pads, its a trade name, I fitted them, new discs, calipers and stainless steel braided hoses and it feels much better, 4 wheel lock up if I try hard!

Keith
Post #362957 7th Oct 2014 7:49pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
look up EBC brakes on Google they make Green Stuff pads DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #362958 7th Oct 2014 7:50pm
OleDave

Thanks guys, I understand now as I know the name EBC ! will be changing the discs and pads early next year before the towing season starts again so will give them a shot as I am not happy with the braking currently.

Just for intrest I am thinking of changing my caravan next year and as a member of the caravan club I did an outfit check on their web site which matches any car to a caravan, on checking the Puma defender for matches there were not any perfect matches whatever weight your looking at, even 2 berth was not suitable which surprised me and made me contact their technical dept for an answer, the outcome was that the Puma in their calculations falls short at 122hp of suitable horse power for towing hence no matches, by having a remap to increase the hp by only 18hp the defender then becomes suitable as it reaches the 140hp min required and can tow then up to 1500 kilos, so going to go to BAS next spring for an upgrade, I am advised by BAS that 150 and even 160 is achievable!!

Thanks again guys for all your advice

Regards

Dave
Post #363044 8th Oct 2014 9:10am
william8

Scotland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy William
Post #363053 8th Oct 2014 9:23am
Merlin

United Kingdom 
I'm in the C&C as well. The recommended towing combination of 75%, is just there to give a rough guide to members. You can tow what you like, and even at 100% ratio it just means could be unstable if you let it. Hence tales of NA Defenders towing jets around.

I tow a 8M Bailey and have since both were new. I found the Puma gutless but capable even with the caravan fully loaded and I'm sure my ratio was well outside the recommendations. Since having a remap from Alive it's a doddle to tow so I'd suggest a V1 map from them. Fuel economy is better too.

BTW I think that the C&C don't consider that the car will be loaded as well so adjusting the ratio considerably. Like 4 people, dogs and all their junk!

Merlin
Post #363064 8th Oct 2014 9:51am
OleDave

Hi Merlin, well surprise surprise another CC member! I have a Eldiss Golden Crown 2 berth which was manufactured in 1995 and weighs in at 1060 kilos plus 185 kilos additional personal load, I have found the Defender great for towing the van and attacks hills without a murmer, I had a BMW 530D previously with 190hp available to the right foot but the Defender makes it look stupid which gave me a shock as its only 122 hp!

I am sure it would be superior with a greater hp and a remap might be the way to go, its just the cost Merlin, I am retired now so have to count the pennies these days or the wife would have to go without shoes!

Regards

Dave
Post #363069 8th Oct 2014 10:53am
jimbob7

Braided hoses and fresh oil,there is an issue getting braided hoses for late model TD5's tho,dunno if that issue carries over to the Puma Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #363070 8th Oct 2014 10:56am
MR_JAMES

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I've had green stuff in my classic mini. They take a while to warm up before they work properly... they really are for fast road use. So unless your racing around in your mini or racing around i don't believe you want these.

i changed to black stuff and they are amazing! dont need to warm up just work straight away. Do they make those for defenders tho? 1953 80"
1987 mini city e
2011 90"
Post #363177 8th Oct 2014 8:17pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Before you go changing anything from O.E., you will need to tell any supplier what it is that you will mainly be using your vehicle for. Most pad manufacturers have different pads for different applications.
So, with your discs in good shape & the right pads for YOU, you should be good to go.
Pickles.
Post #363230 8th Oct 2014 9:54pm
OleDave

Hi guys and many thanks for all your input re brakes, MR-JAMES there are options for Black Stuff pads for the Puma as have checked, and your correct I do not think the green stuff would be suitable if used for performance cars as the Defender is a slogger not a Jogger so will avoid those.

The black stuff reply does state that they are a good match when I asked about fitting to the defender, so have saved the info and intend after xmas to change the discs for drilled and grooved plus fit the black stuff pads, the current discs are ok but considering the brake performance is not great I think a change of disc all around would help as well as fit these pads on all four wheels.

Well thanks agin you guys, this site is great for help and advice, keep up the good work chaps its appreciated!!!

Ole Dave
Post #363326 9th Oct 2014 11:53am
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
I spent today towing a 3.5 tonne Ifor Williams fully loaded up and down the Fish Hill on the A44 near Broadway, The IRB remap makes the trip up much easier & the greenstuff pads make the slowing down for the corners safe and secure with no fade at all.

Keith
Post #363489 9th Oct 2014 9:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>