Home > Puma (Tdci) > T-box and Body Alignment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
T-box and Body Alignment
Got my car back from the dealers today as follows:

1. My T-box lever would not engage diff-lock. The lever sits over to the left so there was not enough (further) movement left to engage. Dealer have decided that since its been like this from new I should have a new T-box fitted, instead of them trying to repair the lever and mechanisms in this one.

2. Door seal above the drivers front door keeps dropping off, rear drivers side door has caught the seal, pulled it from the panels and made two rips in it, rear door sits proud and is catching the seal, passengers side front door needs a very forceful slam to engage and shut properly. The dealer have decided to remove all five the doors, replace all the seals and then re-align all the body panels in conjunction with re-hanging all the doors in a bid to ensure there are no more problems.

Have to say i am very happy with the car and just wanted some new seals and the lever better aligning, but if they're prepared to do a proper job for me then I won't argue Wink

I also brought up the issue of 'bowing' below the door handles. They apologised for it and said there is nothing to be done as every single one off the line is like it now. So far the dealer seems to be very good.

Cheers Harvey
Post #32499 18th May 2010 9:22pm
mrwoo

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Re: T-box and Body Alignment
harveyg77 wrote:
Got my car back from the dealers today as follows:

1. My T-box lever would not engage diff-lock. The lever sits over to the left so there was not enough (further) movement left to engage. Dealer have decided that since its been like this from new I should have a new T-box fitted, instead of them trying to repair the lever and mechanisms in this one.

2. Door seal above the drivers front door keeps dropping off, rear drivers side door has caught the seal, pulled it from the panels and made two rips in it, rear door sits proud and is catching the seal, passengers side front door needs a very forceful slam to engage and shut properly. The dealer have decided to remove all five the doors, replace all the seals and then re-align all the body panels in conjunction with re-hanging all the doors in a bid to ensure there are no more problems.

Have to say i am very happy with the car and just wanted some new seals and the lever better aligning, but if they're prepared to do a proper job for me then I won't argue Wink

I also brought up the issue of 'bowing' below the door handles. They apologised for it and said there is nothing to be done as every single one off the line is like it now. So far the dealer seems to be very good.

Cheers Harvey

The 'bowing' as you call it below the door handles is really bad on my drivers door! I have compared it to the passenger door and the 'bowing' is is almost double. I am going to the dealers on Friday to request a new door.

Rich 1964 Series IIA SWB Truck Cab - gone
1981 Series III SWB Hardtop - gone
1982 Series III SWB Hardtop - gone
1997 300Tdi Defender 90 Hardtop - gone
1983 Series III SWB Station Wagon - gone
1979 Series III SWB Station Wagon - gone
2007 90 CSW - gone
2010 USW XS - gone
2010 110 USW - gone

1959 Series II Truck Cab
1984 Series III CSW
2004 TD5 90 CSW
Post #32512 19th May 2010 7:04am
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
You may find the new door is even worse.

I might have a right side door without THAT problem:

Click image to enlarge

As you can see the door is almost straight around the door handle. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #32517 19th May 2010 9:13am
mrwoo

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
I think the poor door quality is especially worse on the Puma Defenders, I had to re-align all of my doors, I know how I can strengthen the door and straighten them out using 5mm steel sheet but why should I. 1964 Series IIA SWB Truck Cab - gone
1981 Series III SWB Hardtop - gone
1982 Series III SWB Hardtop - gone
1997 300Tdi Defender 90 Hardtop - gone
1983 Series III SWB Station Wagon - gone
1979 Series III SWB Station Wagon - gone
2007 90 CSW - gone
2010 USW XS - gone
2010 110 USW - gone

1959 Series II Truck Cab
1984 Series III CSW
2004 TD5 90 CSW
Post #32534 19th May 2010 2:26pm
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
New transfer box fitted, level still sits in the middle, but it does illuminate the diff-lock lever, so assume it now works.

They've also done a brilliant job on all the doors, except the right rear door. This now sits proud of the rubbers and so generates noise, also its got a big dent running along the bottom about 4" then up along the 45-degree return (by the rear wheel) for another couple of inches. If I didn't know better I would say someone dropped the door! The paint work is cracked, so no doubt my lovely steel door will rust if its not replaced or repaired immediately!

Bit annoying as I had thought they did a good job without managing to Censored anything up.

Harvey
Post #35345 29th Jun 2010 8:56pm
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
Defender back in for three days for them to repair the door they dropped. Wen to collect it today and had to reject due to the door looking a shade or two darker than the rest of the car. So its back in now until the end of the week for them to do something that will convince me it looks fine.
Post #36308 14th Jul 2010 8:52pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Tell them to stop painting edge to edge they will have to swallow and blend correctly Thumbs Up
Post #36315 14th Jul 2010 9:38pm
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
Hi ken,

The dealer did say they would have to blend it across the body now to look right. He claimed that it was not the paint, but the clear coat lacquer that is the problem. Alleging that they can get the paiont right, but the bodyshop must put a thicker coat of lacquer on than the factory.

Whatever, until it looks right I am keeping their Freelander and will keep rejecting mine Wink

Harvey
Post #36351 15th Jul 2010 7:57am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I just had an idea with regards to the door 'bowing' under the handle.

not sure if this will work as well as the 5mm steel plate metioned by mrwoo but its alot easier.

drill an inconspecious 5mm hole in the internal door trim and then proceed to completely fill with builder foam.

job done 2 - 3 minutes per door.

Laughing

joking aside - mrwood are you suggesting glueing a 5mm sheet to the inside of the door circa 1ft sq panel?
Post #36360 15th Jul 2010 9:53am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Careful with the expanding foam! I once saw this idea being applied to the 6'x2' door of a custom electronics rack. For shielding purposes the door was double skinned and it was felt that it would be better if the gap was filled with something. Our intrepid engineer drilled an inconspicuous hole in the inner skin and blasted a quantity of expanding foam through the hole. He then watched in dismay as the door skins bulged until a lot of the rivets holding the skin on ripped out! The door was completely destroyed. It is potent stuff.
Post #36365 15th Jul 2010 12:53pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
so should resolve any bowing then?
Post #36368 15th Jul 2010 1:11pm
niglyn

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
The foam trick may work on a series LR as they don't have wind down windows Laughing

I assume the panel is deformed by the door handle fixings. Should have investigated when I had my inners off for gunging. It may be possible to put a few packing washers between the inner frame & outer door skin so when the handle bolts are tightened it does not deform the outer skin......
Post #36378 15th Jul 2010 5:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1