↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > DAB roof aerial
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Sorry for going off topic Bob !
Martin, sorry but sometimes the written word misses the point I was trying to make ! I know about using the foil to 'shield' cables and cut interference, but I'm sure I read somewhere that silver foil could boost your fm reception. Thumbs Up
Post #363030 8th Oct 2014 7:59am
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
No problem Thumbs Up

I am sure I have seen that written somewhere as well.

The new HU and splitter arrived at work this morning so all ready for fitting on Saturday Thumbs Up

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #363082 8th Oct 2014 12:10pm
martinfiattech

England 
Ah I see, please enlighten me. This is a new one to me, never come across that.
I do remember some kind of foil strip people used to put on rear windows to make a better aerial, but that's about it. Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #363499 9th Oct 2014 10:08pm
barbel jim

I was looking for some enlightening too Thumbs Up
Post #363641 10th Oct 2014 8:24pm
bob neville

New Pioneer HU and the splitter are now fitted.

Turned the HU on - no DAB signal and very iffy FM Big Cry
Tried the radio in the TD5 to make sure the FM signal was there - they both have Nak flexi aerials fitted, and FM was OK but not good - probably the weather conditions. Unplugged the splitter and plugged the aerial directly into the radio and FM was still bad. Ran some resistance tests on the aerial and coax and it looks like the coax is shot !

So, as it looks like I need a new aerial (not to chuffed about that with the price of the Nak flexible aerial) I put everything back together for the time being.

Drove to work this morning and FM was better but still not good. Parked up at work and tried DAB and a perfect signal on BBC !! So even with a bad coax the splitter certainly works and when you are in a good reception area DAB is excellent. Left DAB on driving home this evening and had a signal right to my front door. Do a search once home and I get nothing.

Then checked the DAB coverage for my home postcode and depending on what site you visit the results vary from excellent to average/bad so basically the web sites showing coverage leave a lot to be desired.

Contacted DAB On Wheels and they have given me some more tests to do on the coax and aerial - they also think that is the problem.

So until I get a new aerial fitted I am a bit stuck but the results with a duff coax certainly make me believe the splitter will work well with a decent coax.

I will probably fit a LR aerial unless anybody else can suggest anything ?
As I have to fit a new aerial I have asked DOW if they have any suggestions for a wing mounted aerial that means I can do away with the splitter.

I will keep this post updated once I have a new aerial fitted.

Post #364207 13th Oct 2014 7:14pm
barbel jim

Thanks Bob very interesting post and results Thumbs Up the coax could be the problem with mine !! Genuine Landrover and 9 years old !!! never been great though, even when it was new. Is theDOW recomendation for a stand alone Dab aerial?? Again be very interested in there thoughts and your findings !!! Oh and thanks for being a guinipig Whistle
Post #364228 13th Oct 2014 8:06pm
Buccaneer

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Atlantis Blue
I refer you back to my post about the shark fin aerial i have. Does DAB/FM/LW/MW all very nicely.

No problems with reception down to deepest darkest Devon and back to London once. The Rules:-
1 Buccaneer comes back alive.
2 Chicks dig scars.

GB260
Post #364239 13th Oct 2014 8:38pm
bob neville

Hi Jim

I enjoy challenges like this Thumbs Up

I can actually give a bit more of an update. Found the old LR aerial I took off but I had to cut the coax when I removed it as I used the old cable to get the new one into the dash.

Jury rigged a male connector onto the short bit of cable and attached a bit of wire to the base so I could get an earth for the body.

Pulled the radio out and connected the bodged old aerial with the earth trapped under a bolt.
Even with this bodge the FM reception was a vast improvement so I think it is safe to say the flexi aerials cable is damaged - probably happened when I pulled it through the dash as it was a pig to get in. The TD5 was really easy and the set up on that vehicle is perfect.

I didn't have enough cable to test the splitter but I am sure it will be fine once a decent aerial is in place. I have a sneaky idea about how I will get the new cable in without getting any damage - all will be revealed if it works !

DOW say that a combined roof aerial is the best but they are convinced the splitter I have is almost as good when fitted to a Defender. I think this is based on using the standard LR aerial.

Bucc - I have had a look at the shark fin's and can't work out how I can get it fitted centrally on the roof without cutting into the central rib. I have had a look at you picture of the fin fitted and it does look like it is above the interior light but what I can't see, obviously, is how they fitted it with the rib in the way.

Also, I think somebody posted that if you have a sunroof the front central rib is missing - that would make fitting the shark fin a doddle.

Post #364242 13th Oct 2014 8:49pm
barbel jim

I should have a play around with my areial, but know it will be hassle ! My theory is I'll do it in one go when I fit dab, hence my interest in your findings Thumbs Up
With regards the Sharks fin, I admire Buccaneers, with the roll cage its not too noticeable.
If I had a cage or rack I would probably go for it, but think it would look out of place on my ol work horse !! A new standard areial and splitter looks like the route I'll be going, once Bobs finished testing and reviewing all possible options for everyone !! Mr. Green
Post #364267 13th Oct 2014 10:08pm
Buccaneer

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Atlantis Blue
Bob

You are right the aerial did go above the interior light. But i have no central rib at that point in the vehicle - the rib for me is only over the rear tub. Possibly as you say because i have a sunroof. The Rules:-
1 Buccaneer comes back alive.
2 Chicks dig scars.

GB260
Post #364417 14th Oct 2014 3:42pm
bob neville

It does make me wonder if drilling the rib above the interior light would compromise anything - as the sunroof equipped Defender does not even have that rib drilling into it can't be any worse ?

Plan A is to fit the new LR aerial that is on it's way and use the splitter and if that does now work then Plan B will be a shark fin.

Post #364454 14th Oct 2014 6:40pm
martinfiattech

England 
Mine has the standard fit wing mount aerial, I just plugged in the splitter tie strapped it to the dash frame.
Powered it off the blue acc wire coming from the radio and all is well.

Did Sheffield and back over the weekend 205 miles with dab on, radio four and 6 music on all the way.
Only lost the signal once, then it switched to FM for a minute or two only noticed by the dab icon on the display flashing on and off.

This was noticed by SWMBO " what does that mean". She is now pondering a new radio for the 307, one day I will get to paint my chassis ! Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #364794 15th Oct 2014 10:31pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
bob neville wrote:
It does make me wonder if drilling the rib above the interior light would compromise anything - as the sunroof equipped Defender does not even have that rib drilling into it can't be any worse ?

Plan A is to fit the new LR aerial that is on it's way and use the splitter and if that does now work then Plan B will be a shark fin.

Bob

You won't have to remove centre rib in its entirety just cut a hole to secure aerial nut ,people have removed them to fit equipe/lrs roof consol es without any problems cheers Chris
Post #364842 16th Oct 2014 7:35am
bob neville

New LR aerial fitted and FM has been restored Thumbs Up

The flexi aerial's cable was damaged hence the problems I had with FM and DAB.

Will report back Monday on DAB once I get out of this DAB free zone !

Post #365696 19th Oct 2014 6:42pm
bob neville

Still no DAB Big Cry

Many emails later to DOW and they asked me to check the splitter connections for DAB output and FM output as they could have been crossed. Due to the hazard light switch not being fully seated I had to take the dash off this evening and I found the problem - the passive aerial input and FM output had been crossed over on the splitter - this was as delivered and I never thought to check it Embarassed

Fixed it and the result is perfect DAB reception Thumbs Up

So I can thoroughly recommend the Kinetic 7002 splitter from DAB on Wheels, just check the leads are connected the right way round on the unit if you purchase one Rolling Eyes

Also, DAB on Wheels gave excellent support and advice so they come highly recommended as well Thumbs Up

As an aside, make sure your aerial coax is OK as well, having a damaged aerial cost me a week trying to find the fault.

Post #365941 20th Oct 2014 6:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>