↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > DVLA Car tax website goes into meltdown today
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
DVLA Car tax website goes into meltdown today
Noticed on the news the DVLA website crashed today with the demand for on line road fund licences A spokesperson said it was an unprecedented demand that we are currently experiencing high volumes of traffic to our on line vehicle tax service please keep trying. Sorry for the inconvenience."

It's a bit ironic in this digital age that the site goes down on the first day of the new electronic system coming into being.

Also Noticed on the heading of the DVLA car tax page this morning 'BETA this is a new service your feedback will help us improve it'

Beta, they have had a year to run out the bugs in this programe and they launch with a Beta programe. I would like to read some of the feedbacks given today...
Post #361430 1st Oct 2014 2:46pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I've never been able to use the on-line VED renewal for the past 5 years I've owned my 110, the reason? It was because if the tax ran out at the end of June so did my insurance, the result was "Go and produce your documents at your Post Office". If I tried to tax it 6 months later at the end of December, my MoT was due, the result was "Go and produce your documents at your Post Office".
It would be interesting to see what happens now but I won't come across it again as the tax runs out at a different time of year due to a reclassification of the vehicles taxation class. Has anyone else come across the same problems as above?
Post #361444 1st Oct 2014 3:48pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
What a surprise, no doubt soon many will be innocently pulled over for no tax even though they gave it.
What will happen? A fine...
And you can guess who that goes to! Rolling Eyes
Post #361448 1st Oct 2014 4:02pm
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Makes me wonder how may people were dodging road tax, and only became aware that the police check it all electronically, when it was announced on the news this morning! 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #361502 1st Oct 2014 7:36pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Had a day ruined today by that bloody website crashing! Evil or Very Mad An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #361531 1st Oct 2014 8:45pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I forgot about taxing mine until this morning, tried at 0600 and system already down, so did it via the automated phone system. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #361532 1st Oct 2014 8:49pm
dorsetsmith

Tax disc in car window
The way you tax your car will be changing from this October – here’s what it means for you.

Will I still be able to buy car tax at my local Post Office?

Yes – the way you buy your tax will stay exactly the same. The only difference is that you won’t receive a paper tax disc.

How will the authorities know that my car is taxed?

DVLA will have a digital record of who has and hasn’t paid, and a paper tax disc is no longer needed as proof. Almost all on-road enforcement now uses Automatic Number Plate Readers which read your registration number rather than your tax disc. Anyone who hasn't taxed their vehicle could face a fine of up to £1,000.

I have just bought a car, what do I need to do?

You are required to tax the vehicle immediately, failure to do so could lead to a fine of up to £1,000. You can do this at one of 5,000 Post Office branches. All you need to do is bring in your New Keeper supplement or logbook and payment and we can help you ensure that your vehicle is taxed. We will also ensure that DVLA are aware that the vehicle has a new keeper and if necessary send off your documents free of charge. Customers in Northern Ireland will also need to bring in their Insurance Certificate.

I haven’t got a log book, what should I do?

Still come to the Post Office, we can help you apply for a logbook at the same time you tax your vehicle.

Can I have a paper disc if I want one?

Unfortunately, no - they will no longer be issued. You won’t need to display anything on your windscreen anymore.

Will this cause any problems when I take my car overseas?

No, DVLA are working closely with Border Control Agencies, Police and Local Authorities overseas on the changes to ensure no issues are experienced when vehicles are taken out of the country.

Will I still receive a reminder?

Yes - DVLA will still notify you before your car tax is due to expire.

What documents will I need to bring to the Post Office?

You will still need to bring in your tax disc renewal letter or log book and associated documents.

Is it true that it’s no longer necessary to bring a Certificate of Motor Insurance to the Post Office when renewing Car Tax?

You should bring whatever associated documents DVLA specify on your reminder. In terms of insurance, customers in England, Scotland and Wales do not need to present Insurance Certificates. Customers in Northern Ireland are still required to produce a valid Insurance Certificate when taxing a vehicle.

Can I still pay with cash at the Post Office?

Yes – cash (and cheques) are fine, as are most other standard types of payment.

Do I need to keep my old tax disc?

From 1st October 2014, you have the option of removing the tax disc from your windscreen or you can carry on displaying it.
Post #361536 1st Oct 2014 8:51pm
Defender-Stu

United Kingdom 
Ha ha got mine today from the good old post office Thumbs Up now to take the glu off the windscreen from the old dated tax disc holder Razz
Post #361538 1st Oct 2014 9:03pm
munch90

England 
one thing it's going to do is help stop people buying a car with 6 months or how ever long tax and driving it with no insurance as now you can't sell it with tax it has to be taxed by the new owner and to tax it you need insurance

you sell a car that's been taxed all the time , you notify dvla to cancel your tax and that you have sold it and to whom , and if they don't tax it dvla know to come and clamp it

only thing I'm not sure of , is say your selling your defender that is taxed insured on the road etc , I come and look at it and want to buy it and drive it away , pay cash , can I tax it there and then as its already taxed by you , do you cancel there and then and I tax it

or is there a limited time I get to tax it
Post #361542 1st Oct 2014 9:13pm
Jimb1978

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
JWL wrote:
I've never been able to use the on-line VED renewal for the past 5 years I've owned my 110, the reason? It was because if the tax ran out at the end of June so did my insurance, the result was "Go and produce your documents at your Post Office". If I tried to tax it 6 months later at the end of December, my MoT was due, the result was "Go and produce your documents at your Post Office".
It would be interesting to see what happens now but I won't come across it again as the tax runs out at a different time of year due to a reclassification of the vehicles taxation class. Has anyone else come across the same problems as above?

Same here, with my wife's car, although we have just changed it so problem solved 2002 110 td5
Post #361544 1st Oct 2014 9:20pm
jimbob7

munch90 wrote:
one thing it's going to do is help stop people buying a car with 6 months or how ever long tax and driving it with no insurance as now you can't sell it with tax it has to be taxed by the new owner and to tax it you need insurance

you sell a car that's been taxed all the time , you notify dvla to cancel your tax and that you have sold it and to whom , and if they don't tax it dvla know to come and clamp it

only thing I'm not sure of , is say your selling your defender that is taxed insured on the road etc , I come and look at it and want to buy it and drive it away , pay cash , can I tax it there and then as its already taxed by you , do you cancel there and then and I tax it

Think you would struggle, as you would need actual proof of insewerence,which can take "a few hours or a few days,depending on your insurer". to update the mib.I see nothing but agro tbh.Now you have to rely on the other party not changing their mind at the last minute,also if you cancel your insurance without selling it (or sorn'd) your liable for a fine. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #361587 1st Oct 2014 11:49pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
It's going to make the end of any given month a very busy period for selling cars as people work out how to avoid giving the government more money than they have to. Yet another ill conceived and badly implemented knee jerk reaction to a non problem devised by someone trying to justify their own existence. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #361594 2nd Oct 2014 5:18am
ken

United Kingdom 
Actually its a great move

Saves a load of admin from our point of view no problems with th electronic system but them we use it pretty much every day

Wonder how many company car users will fall fowl off the no smoking sticker rule when the remove their tax disc holder Whistle
Post #361595 2nd Oct 2014 6:25am
munch90

England 
jimbob7 wrote:
munch90 wrote:

Think you would struggle, as you would need actual proof of insewerence,which can take "a few hours or a few days,depending on your insurer". to update the mib.I see nothing but agro tbh.Now you have to rely on the other party not changing their mind at the last minute,also if you cancel your insurance without selling it (or sorn'd) your liable for a fine.

ah yes , sorry forgot to say im on traders policy and get 6 weeks before before having to put anything on mib , of course its all different for normal insurance
Post #361609 2nd Oct 2014 8:01am
jimbob7

ken wrote:
Actually its a great move

Saves a load of admin from our point of view no problems with th electronic system but them we use it pretty much every day

Wonder how many company car users will fall fowl off the no smoking sticker rule when the remove their tax disc holder Whistle

But you have been able to tax online/over the phone for years anyway,so from that point of view nothing has changed.Really don't know why everybody made a rush at the DVLA yesterday. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #361641 2nd Oct 2014 9:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1