↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Air Filter !!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jonno

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Air Filter !!
Thought I had better change the air filter on my 2011 90 with 18500 miles as it hasn't been done yet.

Quite easy to get out and it was surprisingly filthy.

However the fun started trying to re assemble the housing. The fact that the airbox is about 5 mm under the wing and the very tight air con hose runs past the other side makes it a tad challenging.

It is easy enough to engage the hooks on the side under the wing top when there is no element in the filter box, however when the filter was in I tried for about 15 minutes before conceding defeat.

I finally got it together by hooking the clips on at the wing end and then carefully sliding the element into the airbox from the engine side (whilst pushing the aircon pipe carefully out of the way!) Then checking with a torch that it was seated in the airbox, before clipping the lid down.

Anyway job done, surprised how "tight" it was considering the size of the Defender engine bay.

As an aside, I bought the bits from Duckworths, good service was received and the parts were here within 2 days I didnt realise postage was free for forum members until after I put my order in !

Next job fuel filter.

Jonno
Post #359496 22nd Sep 2014 6:05pm
Simon27

Scotland 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Tamar Blue
Did you remove the hose that goes into the airbox first? It at least gives you a bit more freedoms movement.
Post #359574 22nd Sep 2014 9:22pm
Jonno

Yeah took that off but the air con hose was the biggest problem totally limiting wiggle room. I ended up rolling the anti wear sleeve back on the air con hose for a bit of extra space.

I was being a bit careful with said aircon hose as it's on rigid metal fixings at each end and looked like it could be easily broken off the pump.

The old filter was incredibly dirty for the miles the car has done, I guess picking up air behind the wheel isn't the cleanest option !

Jonno
Post #359580 22nd Sep 2014 9:42pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
I fitted an ITG filter and it can be changed in minutes. Can't see your problem if you remove pipe and multiplug? 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #359592 22nd Sep 2014 10:37pm
Phil VM2.5

Belgium 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Hi,
I understand the difficulty, as I did it some time ago.

My way to do it is to not put the filter in the box but first place it against the lid what make possible to engage the lid.
then , you just have to engage the other side of the filter in the box and close it.

sorry, I can understand that it isn't clear

if somebody can explain it better !
Phil current : defender 110 sw 2.2 puma 2012 and 230.000km today and
again my Range Rover VM2.5 engine from 1992 and 528.000km today.

One ten 1988 to 1992
1987 BMW GS80
One Ten from 1984 to 1987
One Ten from 1983 to 1984
Serie 3 109 from 1980 to 1983
from 1974 Jeep CJ3B and CJ6
Post #359629 23rd Sep 2014 7:29am
AlanH

Australia 
I'll try. Smile
Remove the multi plug for the MAF and the airtube then lift the top of the airbox off pushing the aircon pipe out of the way.
Clean filter with vac and then refit into the airbox top before attempting to fit into box itself. Then holding the lid and filter away from you tilt it back/up at the engine end and slide the end nearest you gently under the wing.
You'll have to push the airconpipe out of the way while you do this. As it goes further under the wing the filter will come into contact with the front of the box nearest the engine but just use your fingers to push the filter leaves back towards you and the filter will suddenly drop down with the lid into it's correct position.
I've never had any prob using this method and had to show someone at the stealers how it should be done as they ruined a filter by not installing it correctly and water from off the wing soaked it.
They did give me a new one though and I didn't charge them for the tutorial. Laughing
AlanH.
Post #359642 23rd Sep 2014 8:44am
Jonno

I don't know if its down to land rover tolerances, but there just isn't room under the wing top to engage the clips when the filter is in the airbox on mine.

Luckily there was just room to slide it in from the engine side once the clips were engaged.

With the filter in first the clips on the lid are about 5 mm higher than their receiving holes in the lower section and no amount of pushing would get them in. This and the fact the aircon hose had to take a considerable amount of abuse makes me question the quality of the design a bit.

Then again if certain bits and pieces were just a few mm in a different place it would have been a 2 minute job so I guess some are easier than others.

Jono
Post #359651 23rd Sep 2014 9:30am
martinfiattech

England 
Be careful, even when the air con is not running the system is still under pressure.
A face full of air con gas is not nice, as I speak from experience. Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #359825 23rd Sep 2014 10:07pm
Jonno

Yes that did concern me somewhat, the pipe from the pump has a fragile metal first few inches, so no doubt would easily break off.

Jonno
Post #359830 23rd Sep 2014 10:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1