↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > 300 tdi- TOTAL SHUTDOWN,ANY IDEAS...pleeease
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
womble

England 
300 tdi- TOTAL SHUTDOWN,ANY IDEAS...pleeease
artnoon all.sometimes when i am driving along my defender shuts down momentarilly,i mean everything ,lights ,heater fan,radio,engine,yhe lot then it cuts back in and maynot do it again for days or even weeks.i am fairly sure it is an earth fault as rhat is what various people in the know say but where ?a mechanic i know has put an earth on from engine to chassis and when i changed the gearbox i cleaned and resoldered the battery earth where it clamps onto the side of the chassis but it still does it.
sometimes when i flash the headlights the wipers come on (with light switch on or off)but this does'nt always happen.
i am wondering whether it may be something to do with the ignition switch or wiring but i am no electrition so its only a thought
i cannot afford to put the vehicle in an autoelectritions for the day and they may not find the fault anyway as it is intermittant

any suggestions appreciated Question Crying or Very sad
Post #322709 9th Apr 2014 6:20pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Hi Wurzel
we had something similar on our 300TDI when we owned one. All went off when I bumped up a pavement to park ....
It turned out to be the mains lead to the starter motor coming loose so maybe a good place to start,
I would also check the fuses to see if any are loose - give them all a good wiggle to ensure that they are seated correctly.
Good luck! Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #322712 9th Apr 2014 6:26pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
good advice Wyvern Thumbs Up I was thinking about the problem and kept thinking the 300 tdi does not need electricity to run but the fuel solenoid does Thumbs Up

also check the battery terminals and earth cables
Post #322758 9th Apr 2014 9:05pm
DarkWheel

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Rioja Red
Hi - did you sort this? Mine is doing exactly the same. Last night it just cut out and the Main beam warning lights came on. I switched everything off, and it started ok, but as soon as I turned on the lights, it cut out again. I again switched off, and decided to limp home without the lights on (I wasn't far away on well lit street) . It cuts out again when I use the indicators and instead of the indicator lights flashing on the dash, it's the main beam indicator.

Also I noticed when turning the alarm on and off, it's not the indicators that flash, it's the side lights!

If you've sorted it I'd be really grateful to hear what you've done.

I'll check the starter motor connections during my lunch break.

Pete Getting there slowly is far better than not getting there fast
Post #365150 17th Oct 2014 9:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
womble

England 
hi pete.the honest truth is that i cannot be 100% sure that i have sorted it but.................

my wife was getting wet feet!!what,you will ask has that got to do with it ? well on the newer defenders the vent flaps have a useless foam seal between them and the bulkhead and in my case these had come unstuck and then the water could get into the car,also behind the dashboard on mine there is an ecu for the alarm/immobiliser...your ahead of me now aren't you.i fitted a set of rubber seals using rtv to attach them and so far so good.
i'm not saying this WILL fix it but it hasn't happened since

i still have the main beam fault but i think it's because of a bad ind/main beam switch.
sorry this is a bit long winded and i hope this info helps.

good luck Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #365241 17th Oct 2014 4:33pm
DarkWheel

Thanks for the reply Womble,
I set about the Defender during my lunch armed with a screwdriver and some jump leads (To apply an earth where necessary).

I checked the earth of the starter, no joy.
Disconnected the radio, no joy.
I tried pushing in all the fuses and relays, no joy.
I took apart the instrument binnacle to get to the heater motor switch and pushed all the connections there, no joy.
I tried earthing the point to the right of the master cylinder on the engine side of the bulkhead, no joy.

Finally I found after taking out the near-side front lights, that if I earthed the bulb of the sidelights then everything was ok. I've run a temporary earth wire to get me home and I'll investigate the earthing of the lights tonight.

Before I go stripping the wheel arch shield, can anyone confirm this is the location of the earthing point for the indicators and side-lights??

Thanks

Post #365243 17th Oct 2014 4:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Instead of stripping out why not run some new earths to your lights from behind where you can actually see them, saves disturbing all the liners.
Post #365246 17th Oct 2014 5:00pm
DarkWheel

Actually JWL - I think I'll do that, like you say, the liners never go back like they came out.

Post #365248 17th Oct 2014 5:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1