↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Carrs Land Rover Truro...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
guy.cashmore

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Tamar Blue
Carrs Land Rover Truro...
Just thought other members would like to see what sort of service they can expect from Carrs Land Rover of Truro. This matter relates to a main gearbox syncro fault and a transfer box oil leak that were present from new in a vehicle I bought from them 8 months ago. The text below is a true copy from the latest letter that I have just sent to the dealer principal Andrew Niven. They appear to be trying to run both LR and Jag from the same premises, but currently only appear to have 3 staff in the workshop, 2 of which look like apprentices. Quite how JLR allow them to continue to hold the franchises is a mystery to me?

Dear Mr Niven,

Following our email exchange about one month ago, I made a booking with your service department for them to have custody of my vehicle between August 26th and September 2nd inclusive, this was possible because I was going to be overseas for the period.

Arrangements were agreed and put in place at my end to enable your staff to obtain the keys during all working hours and collect the vehicle, just 3 miles from your premises.

I have returned from overseas today to find that the vehicle has never been picked up and no repairs have been undertaken.

This is now the third separate occasion over the past 8 months that your company has failed to correct defects that the vehicle was supplied with from new, by yourselves. Your own staff have acknowledged that these faults exist with my vehicle.

It is now absolutely crystal clear to me that my statement in my email to you of 4 August is entirely correct - the service department of your business is clearly in a state of complete disarray.

As I see absolutely no prospect of your company honouring its obligation to carry out these repairs, it is now my intention to instruct an independent garage to carry out all necessary work, using new genuine Land Rover parts.

I will then send you copy invoices for all costs involved.

If you do not immediately reimburse me with these amounts in full, I will send the displaced gearbox parts to an independent examiner, obtain a report and use this as the basis for legal proceedings to recover my costs.

Yours sincerely,

Guy Cashmore 5 Land Rovers and a Corsa!
Post #355410 3rd Sep 2014 7:04pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
I'll be interested in the outcome of this, as we are in Truro most months and generally call into Carrs to see what they've got in.

I always thought they would be a good dealer to buy from (they seem to have a lot of Defenders about) so may change my mind.

Good luck with getting your issues resolved.

Cheers

Simon
Post #355413 3rd Sep 2014 7:16pm
guy.cashmore

Thanks Simon.

Won't need any 'luck' to get the car fixed, I'm simply going to pay for it to be done elsewhere, using a complete new gearbox assembly.

Recovering my costs might turn into small claims court job, but it doesn't scare me.

Guy 5 Land Rovers and a Corsa!
Post #355415 3rd Sep 2014 7:20pm
couplands

Have you tried contacting Land Rover customer services..? Mike@landrover on here is from there (although just changing roles, there is a replacement) might be worth a chat.

Cheers

Simon
Post #355417 3rd Sep 2014 7:28pm
guy.cashmore

Can't really be bothered in truth, this dealer effectively has a monopoly due to being on a peninsula, if you live here you don't have any choice, and what could LR customer relations do anyway, I'm already dealing direct with the dealer principal?

PS they were equally bad when Riders owned them! 5 Land Rovers and a Corsa!
Post #355420 3rd Sep 2014 7:35pm
couplands

Have you ever tried http://www.buryasbridge-garage.co.uk ..?

I remember years ago they got good reviews, but not heard much about them recently.

Cheers

Simon
Post #355427 3rd Sep 2014 7:58pm
guy.cashmore

Yes I've been past, but don't think they are doing much LR now.

Will probably take it to Steve Toyer LR in Falmouth (Penryn) for the gearbox change. 5 Land Rovers and a Corsa!
Post #355430 3rd Sep 2014 8:08pm
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
this seems odd to me, I've have nothing but good reports with them. repairing my defender on several occasions with no questions asked and made sure i had a courtesy car for the full duration that the repair took.

if you can get through to Richard, the main service guy I'm sure he could help you, any queries or questions i had, he was more than happy to help.

you may have even seen me in there, i have a massive puppy Smile
Post #355660 4th Sep 2014 6:54pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
guy.cashmore wrote:
Yes I've been past, but don't think they are doing much LR now.

Will probably take it to Steve Toyer LR in Falmouth (Penryn) for the gearbox change.

Guy
I would never buy or recommend them from my past experiences - save all your hassle and go to Roger Young's in Saltash
you wont believe the difference in customer care and the servicing quality.

Have bought 4 vehicles from Roger Young's with minimal issues, one vehicle from Truro and have had it back 4 times for items that they never bothered to fix.
Truro was supposed to fix the oil leak that was a recall onto the hand break drum was 'fixed' by over tightening the housing bolts - this resulted in extra work when I had the clutch replaced by Roger Young as all the bolts had to be drilled out and the holes retapped - needless to say a very strongly worded letter was sent with no reply.

just my 6 eggs!
. Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #355675 4th Sep 2014 7:25pm
guy.cashmore

OK just a quick update.

Not sure if purely as a response to my letter or the posting on here, or both, my vehicle was collected at 7am this morning and has just been returned at 7pm with a new gearbox fitted and new output flange on the transfer box.

Haven't driven it myself yet, but will update again when I have.

The service manage was very apologetic and also gave me a bottle of whiskey by way of an apology.

Shouldn't have come to this, but hopefully this is now the end of it. 5 Land Rovers and a Corsa!
Post #355933 5th Sep 2014 7:21pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Single malt or a blend?

Might give you a clue as to the quality of oil used in the gearbox Thumbs Up
Post #355934 5th Sep 2014 7:28pm
guy.cashmore

Blended, but perfectly OK for how I drink whiskey (with milk!).

The oil will be genuine parts squeezed in from a plastic bottle, they don't have anything else, I've seen them doing it - unbelieveable for a main dealer! 5 Land Rovers and a Corsa!
Post #355935 5th Sep 2014 7:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1