↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > show us your rods (extendable)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
show us your rods (extendable)
Hi,

I know this won't be an exact science but wondering if you might be able to show me your rods.

I'm a little concerned over what length to expect and yes I know it's going to vary but if everyones and generally longer than mine then clearly I should be worrying and need to go about extending it.

It all stems from the rattling I've been getting - sounds like loose nuts but I'm sure everything in that department is ok.

So after what seemed like obvious advice from Steve I've been homing in on the hi/lo lever and wonder if the linkage rod is the correct length especially after it jumped out of hi range recently....and some other things that leave me wondering about the hi/lo set up.

at the moment my rod is as short as it will go?
is getting the rod the right length an exact science or can my usual approach of suck it and see be used and if not can anyone advise on the best / easiest approach to adjusting to the correct length.

for those that may have had there rods sets at the wrong length were rattles the obvious symptoms?

many thanks,
Post #390206 19th Jan 2015 3:50pm
munch90

England 
did it jump out once due to not being fully engaged in the first place?

its not that uncommon to jump out after moving from lo to hi , normally best thing is change gear after moving few feet give lever another tug

there quite a heavy dog tooth in the transfer box ( cant remember but maybe undercut as well ) so its not like the dog teeth in the main gearbox that are made to change smoother which are sharper/finer cut teeth
Post #390210 19th Jan 2015 4:15pm
Caterham

munch90 you're spot on yes, the last time it jumped out was after a hi/lo change and to be honest as you say I'm quite sure that normal etc.

the bigger concern comes from the on going issue I've had .....ie some times its sound clattery and other times not, sometimes I get a smooth easy gear change and sometimes I can't. the difficult change is as Steve had mentioned previously which turned out to be the hi/lo not propertly engaged.

also sometimes when I switch the engine off its nice and smooth other times not and although I thought clunk sound when turning off was from the clutch maybe it's always been the transfer box - clearly it could all be normal but because there's an element of inconsistency I can't help think something aint right? to my mind the gear changes should always be similar, in the same way as I'd expect it always to be clattery or not, same with turning off - I'd expect it to be a smooth off or a big clonk all the time..........I just can't do 'sometimes'.....grrr.

what do you think.
Post #390215 19th Jan 2015 4:38pm
munch90

England 
when you turn off there is nothing moving/turning in the transfer box , so cant see how it could make any noise
Post #390220 19th Jan 2015 4:47pm
Caterham

Yep agree?

just a thought (and I've no idea how to do this but) - I'll do a recording and when I get a clonky turn off and a smooth one I'll post them on here if anyone can explain how.

back on the above...could it be the linkage making a clunk? and any suggestions on how to set the rod length?
Post #390224 19th Jan 2015 5:01pm
munch90

England 
clattery or not could be temp related oil thickness etc
Post #390225 19th Jan 2015 5:03pm
munch90

England 
Caterham wrote:
Yep agree?

just a thought (and I've no idea how to do this but) - I'll do a recording and when I get a clonky turn off and a smooth one I'll post them on here if anyone can explain how.

back on the above...could it be the linkage making a clunk? and any suggestions on how to set the rod length?

I would say there is nothing heavy enough to get a clunk from on the linkage , 90% of it is plastic anyway
Post #390226 19th Jan 2015 5:05pm
Caterham

again I agree......in fact I'm just about to put a pick up of my rod and was going to comment on how such a rugged / go anywhere truck should have a plastic linkage?

I had previously thought it could be the clutch but when depressing the clutch when switching off this doesn't make the clunk go away all the time?

re oil temp perhaps although again sometimes can be a smooth turn off when hot?

back to the transfer box and what Steve had mentioned about not being able to do a smooth gear change when it wasn't fully engage - I did a c 200mile trip the other day and it had been running lovely 50/50 motorway driving - near home got stuck in traffic, came to a stand still and when on the move again I slowly let the clutch up in 2nd and without warning it was terrible just a sudden take up - just like there's no clutch (just like an on/off) and for some of the remainder of journey poor gear changes?

same when I went to Lakes recently - no problems all the way there but when off the motorway and onto the country lanes the gear change became terrible again (to the verge of wanting to hide the truck at the bottom of windemere!).?

Post #390229 19th Jan 2015 5:17pm
munch90

England 
I would say clutch grabbing a bit when its not , that would effect gear change and not pulling off smooth

when your on the motorway the clutch isn't doing anything , when your on back road it will heat up and heat up in traffic

in a early post did you say you pull away in 2nd , do you do it when in a traffic jam ? the extra slip needed for 2nd gear pull away will heat it up faster

I will pull away in 2nd sometimes , but I wouldn't in traffic

I would say I have been in many defenders and cars with hundreds of different drivers and I would say less then 10% are what I would call good smooth drivers , example being able to roll on/off clutch , feed throttle in smoothly etc
Post #390232 19th Jan 2015 5:31pm
Caterham

clutch grabbing could well be it - please don't take this the wrong way but I 'think' I'm an experienced driver and generally very sympathetic mechanically, further more the recent issue on the way back from 200 mile round trip I'm fairly sure it was the first time I used the clutch so would have expected it to be cold.

also in the Lakes, I seem to recall pulling over for a few minutes for directions and then it was naff there after ?

to my mind there seems to be no rhyme or reason. sometimes you can give it plenty with the load pedal (albeit low-ish revs, say 3.5k) through 3rd, 4th, 5th and beautiful easy smooth gear changes and other times not a chance? (and generally with the poor gear changes comes the clatter?)
Post #390238 19th Jan 2015 5:49pm
Caterham

I have about 150 miles to cover tomorrow and after just coming in from under the truck (it's a wee bit chilly out there) and I'm very optimistic....

After extending the linkage rod very slightly with no obvious benefit I then tried shortening a small amount (which was as short as it would go), this seemed to make the clatter worse, so I've extended it again (more than previously)and it seems to have engaged Hi more positively than I've ever noticed / felt before - so fingers crossed.
Post #390420 19th Jan 2015 11:11pm
Caterham

Started the def in the morning and initial signs were good..... does one else notice that when you start the engine sometimes it's seems to whiz (almost like it's 1ltr jap engine and other times not?).

So first half mile was perfect in every way and then that soon turned to excessive clatter?

There seems to be a link to the transfer box but I'm still not ruling out the hand brake?
Post #391353 22nd Jan 2015 10:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1