↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > TAX DISC or not
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetsmith

TAX DISC or not
soon you will spend lots money and get no tax disc in retune DVLA say it costing too much money to send or hand out tax disc then we hand over large lump cash and all you get a round tax disc

What this means to you
To drive or keep a vehicle on the road you will still need to get vehicle tax and DVLA will still send you a renewal reminder when your vehicle tax is due to expire. This applies to all types of vehicles including those that are exempt from payment of vehicle tax.

Buying a vehicle
From 1 October, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle.

You can tax the vehicle using the New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2) part of the vehicle registration certificate (V5C) online or by using our automated phone service - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Alternatively, you may wish to visit a Post OfficeŽ branch.

Selling a vehicle
If you sell a vehicle after 1 October and you have notified DVLA, you will automatically get a refund for any full calendar months left on the vehicle tax.

Vehicle tax refunds
You will no longer need to make a separate application for a refund of vehicle tax. DVLA will automatically issue a refund when a notification is received from the person named on DVLA vehicle register that the:

vehicle has been sold or transferred
vehicle has been scrapped at an Authorised Treatment Facility
vehicle has been exported
vehicle has been removed from the road and the person on the vehicle register has made a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)
person on the vehicle register has changed the tax class on the vehicle to an exempt duty tax class
Post #353228 23rd Aug 2014 8:27am
munch90

England 
who is liable for a vehicle on the road untaxed when you have no tax disc to check

is it the driver at the time ?
or the owner of the vehicle ?

reason I ask is for customers cars
do you ask every owner and what if they lie ? (we deal with some who have no problem with lying Whistle )
check with dvla for every car ?
sometimes when its busy cars get parked out on ind est which is a highway and dvla van comes down there

I can see it being pain !
Post #353231 23rd Aug 2014 8:40am
dorsetsmith

you will have to pay yet more money to check if it tax MOT and so on
Post #353232 23rd Aug 2014 8:45am
sparkylee

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Santorini Black
I guess it's the owners duty to either TAX it or SORN it ! It's good to be back from the dark side

DC110 -2012 Black with black hood and black x-tech
FFRR 4.2 vogue
Renault traffic auto
PT crusier convertible
Laika x700 Motorhome
Post #353233 23rd Aug 2014 8:46am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
Seems silly to me for the cost saving involved, yet again shedding their work and effort onto the likes of you and me.
And of course the cost, one couldn't expect much else!
Post #353235 23rd Aug 2014 8:48am
dorsetsmith

I think this is the way go

Click image to enlarge
Post #353237 23rd Aug 2014 8:49am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
There is also the fact that if we play this properly, the vendor doesn't get a refund for the part month in which the car is sold and the purchaser then also has to pay tax for the motor in the month it is bought. That motor has had VLD paid twice in the month it passes hands.
Post #353241 23rd Aug 2014 9:04am
Wangers

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Aintree Green
a) you dont have to pay upfront, you can take a monthly direct debit at no additional cost - ie DD is 1/12 of annual whereas the current 6 month is 60% of annual)

b) when buying / selling they get 2 months VED as the seller has paid for the whole month within which they sell, and the buyer pays for the whole month within which they buy.

For a fleet mamager it will make life simpler as no more having to remember to pay, and get the disks in, and what if they are lost ya de ya - just 149 vehicles on DD each month,
Post #353249 23rd Aug 2014 10:08am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
martinfiattech

England 
So now the dvla have removed the tax disc, what will my local neighbour hood watch oberfuhrer do in the mornings.
Now he has no reason to walk down my drive to check our cars tax discs. I might put a out dated one in for fun !!
Can you get a 1987 one off ebay!
Will he now start rearranging my recycling bags again, asking me why and where the dog poo out side my house came from. (we don`t have a dog )

On the other hand this will be a great money spinner for the dvla / police ! Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #353257 23rd Aug 2014 11:16am
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
No more "Tax in Post" signs.
Post #353259 23rd Aug 2014 11:23am
dorsetsmith

On the other hand this will be a great money spinner for the dvla / police

I keep being told that Police have no money to spend

Bristol in traffic quit police car past a van with 6 complete bold types no tax disc and no back number plate EX NHS ford box van Exclamation
Post #353261 23rd Aug 2014 11:31am
dondiddy

Scotland 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
The neighbourhood watch types can still do their thing as you can check a vehicles tax and MOT status on the DVLA website free of charge. All you need is the reg number and the vehicle make. Also checking online was the advice given to motor traders by my insurance company to ensure that they did not fall foul of the changes. Neighbourhood meanies can also report an untaxed vehicle on the same site!
Post #353265 23rd Aug 2014 11:55am
custom90

United Kingdom 
That above I am aware of too and I don't think it should be allowed.
It's the Police's job along with the authorities and it's well known some of the bad neighbourhood clique that are out there.
(A minority luckily)
That can just try and use it against you, of course if you've done no wrong you have nothing to worry about but just to try it is bad enough.
The neighbours opposite me have been terrors and have three old bangers and I swear they cannot be fully legal and safe, especially the MOT side of things.
I was under the assumption though that to use that check if you were not the registered keeper or named driver / vehicle associate that you'd be breaking the law by doing so.
Here:

Click image to enlarge
Post #353266 23rd Aug 2014 12:05pm
dondiddy

Scotland 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
Checking a vehicles tax and MOT status (Not Insurance details)can be done by anyone without having to state a reason or have a legitimate interest in the vehicle.You do not get any info that identifies the owner/keeper.I do it now and again if I am looking to buy a different vehicle and will have a quick look to check year of first reg, cost of road tax etc. This will be something that more and more people will do now that the visual reminder of a tax disc is about to disappear from your windscreen. Neutral
Post #353269 23rd Aug 2014 12:39pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Your right, my apologies I got confused between tax and insurance.
Post #353270 23rd Aug 2014 12:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>