↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Engine temp never exceeds ~35%?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RoadForce

Netherlands 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Coniston Green
Engine temp never exceeds ~35%?
I'm not sure this has not been posted before (I sure couldn't find it!), but my Td5's temperature guage never indicates more than about 35% (referring to the guage's scale, so 0% being dead cold and 100% boiling).

I'm talking ordinary road use (towns and motorways) with no load, not towing anything etc.. I checked and the heater does blow warm air. When the engine is cold, the indicator is at 0% so the guage seems to work.

Is this normal or is something wrong with my EGR etc?
Post #353557 25th Aug 2014 3:06pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
You can get the typical Land Rover answer to this......."They're all like that Sir". When I start mine from cold it will go from rest to about the 10am position and after a few miles will settle around the 11am position and stay there. If it does go to the red it is accompanied with the ecu sticking the engine in limp mode,
I've given it some serious towing uphill with a Nanocom plugged in and the temperature sits at around 85 to 90'C and with a prolonged load can creep up to 115'C without the needle moving even though you can sense the engine getting warm. When you get over the 115'C mine is fast approaching the point where the ecu will say enough's enough and put it into limp mode with the guage showing hot, not a lot of warning and a bit of a pain in the ar*e.
It seems to be the norm and it makes me wonder whether the temp guage is picking up its signal from the radiator and the ecu is from a more business point such as the block.
Post #353560 25th Aug 2014 3:19pm
RoadForce

Netherlands 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Coniston Green
Ok, roger that! I'm glad there is no reason to worry. At least, not about something being wrong with my engine / EGR / etc.. The design of the temp guage is disconcerting though!
Post #353562 25th Aug 2014 3:27pm
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Mine is the same even on the hottest days, the temperature gauge seems to have 3 positions,Cold,Normal and too late !

I thought the idea of a temperature gauge was to let you know when the temperature was rising so you can back off and stop it getting critical not to keep you in the dark until it goes into limp mode ! 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #353577 25th Aug 2014 5:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1