↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > has anybody installed a frontrunner 45l aux tank for the 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ronwong

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
has anybody installed a frontrunner 45l aux tank for the 110
I just got a kit and it requires me to drill into the existing tank for "balance fitting", whatever is that for. Anyway has done an installation?
Post #352653 20th Aug 2014 9:00am
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
It is so the fuel in the auxiliary tank flows without air trap between the two tanks. It is also there to let the fuel from the aux tank to drain out into the main tank. Without it the fuel will only go as far as the main outflow pipe half way up the aux tank.

If there is one bit of advice I will give it is to take your main tank off and drain ALL the fuel out of it. Drill a hole in the main tank at a level just blow the bottom of the aux tank as installed. If you don't take the tank off there is a very high probability you will get plastic swarf in your main tank which will be sucked into the pickup pipe which will starve your engine of fuel and lead to all sorts of problems which will result in you having to take the tank out anyway!!

I don't have the Front Runner, but the Safari Equip one which works exactly the same way.

Unfortunately, they don't give you very good instructions for fitment and that is if they give you the right ones in the first place!!!
Post #352660 20th Aug 2014 9:26am
leeds

United Kingdom 
To take SMB advice a bit further. Ensure that the spot picked for drilling has a flat area big enough to take the tank fitment so that it can seal correctly on the main tank.

To get the fitment into the main tank, poke some stiffish wire into main tank and fish it out of the main filler pipe hole. The fitting and seal can be slid down the wire and worked out through your newly drilled hole.

HTH

Brendan
Post #352661 20th Aug 2014 9:42am
ronwong

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
that is great advice. Bringing the main tank down is a big job. Will the scraps be caught in the fuel filter?

Do you guys have a picture of the installed setup?
the fitment also came with some cork washer... one supposed to be inside and one outside, will cork disintergrade? I am thinking whether to change to rubber or something better...
Post #352669 20th Aug 2014 10:30am
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Not all of it, the main swarf created by the drill bit is likely to be too big to get through the fuel pick up pipe which means you would have to drop your tank anyway to take the unit out. I know it is a big job, but honestly it is nothing in comparison to being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no tools and having to drop the tank and lose all your fuel.

I used a heavy duty sealant that is not effected by diesel or vibration in addition to the washer. As Brendan said, use a long wire like a coat hanger and thread the pieces on in the order of fitment. Then it is easier to pull the pieces through.

It is also a good idea to drop your tank anyway to a/ look at the condition of the pipe unit(they are very prone to rusting) and b/ to make sure LR put the pipes on the correct way round. The pickup pipe is larger diameter than the return pipe so if they are the wrong way round ..... you can guess the rest!!

Have fun, its a Censored of a job and great at testing your patience Whistle
Post #352687 20th Aug 2014 11:41am
MT

I installed the front runner tank a couple of months ago, it was a doddle. It did require lots of spacer washers to get the mounting bracket on the anti roll bar right though. I was a little nervous drilling the main tank! In the end I decided to drill it in place then take it out. I used a brand new very sharp drill bit which cut nicely into the plastic and consiquently I got some lovely large bits of swarf out. I collected all the swarf and made an assessment that there was next to nothing in the tank. I bolted it all up and its been fine for 3000+miles trip around Iceland. I would suggest that you spend alot of time making sure the area is very clean and free of mud and road dirt though.
Post #354515 30th Aug 2014 3:00am
MT

Thought I would give anyone who is interested a quick update. I pulled the body off the chassis to have it galvanised and decided to open up the main tank to check for swarf, pleased to report its as clean as a whistle in there. Sharp drill bits are the way forwards!
Post #358269 16th Sep 2014 8:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1