↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > School of life
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
School of life
We've just pulled our son out of a crap private school in Germany where he was learning absolutely nothing useful. He's now apprenticing as a cabinet-maker and is much happier Thumbs Up

Today, he actually asked me to explain how a diesel engine works which I happily did - in great detail (poor kid). He never asked me such things when he was at school, probably as he was too stressed dealing with the trivial crap there.

When we'd finished, he just looked at me and said "Wow, who the hell thought of that?" Bow down All I could reply was "people who didn't go to your school".

I went to a private school in Suffolk (in the early 80s) full of farmer's sons - we learned carpentry, casting, engine maintenance, soldering...the list goes on. It's not like that any more but I wish I could go back in time and send my sons there instead Sad Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #352507 19th Aug 2014 2:58pm
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Couldn't agree more. Not only that the more expensive the school the longer the holidays they seem to have Thud
Post #352510 19th Aug 2014 3:07pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Early this year the neighbours teenage daughter was keen to tell me that she had started doing home economics (used to be called home cooking when I was at school) I asked here what she would be baking or cooking ( I was hoping for a hand out) Nothing, she told me, we only do the theory and costing's and we have to do the practical at home.

She has no chance at home unless it will go in the microwave or delivered by car from the takeaway.

They don't seen to do practical thinks at school these days. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #352514 19th Aug 2014 3:25pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
You have a point ZeDefender, I teach at a University where I lecture students from many countries, while the British students are very well educated, in principle few of them would know how to wire a plug or in fact do anything practical, whereas the students from the Asian continents have a wealth of knowledge on the more practical issues of life.

One of the key factors lacking in Britain is that our Department for Education is not listening to the CBI and what it wishes our young people in schools to be taught, re for future employment in industry, as a consequence we have a generation of teenagers that are leaving school untrained for the present workforce.

Our government seems hell bent on education grades in science and the arts on a world stage while forgetting that schools are a perfect place also to teach the nitty gritty skills that will help through life.

I sometimes despair for our young persons who leave school without qualifications and who think that either being a footballer or appearing on the X factor is the only way to riches.
Post #352519 19th Aug 2014 3:52pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I'm so glad my youngest went to our local village school(84 kids) He learnt a lot through the school inviting local(usually parents) to talk to the kids and show them a bit about their jobs. They had visits from mechanics, carpenters, builders, cleaners and cooks, they've also had visits from the police and fire brigade, didn't get any from the armed forces as most of the kids have parents linked to the local camp.
Now he's at high school which is another "small" village type school(450 kids) he has a greater awareness of the local world around him, it is so nice that he shows his appreciation of the countryside around him when we're greenlaning over the border in Wales, we were on Doctors Pool on Sunday evening and it was him that kept asking to stop so he could watch the sun working its magic on the Black Mountains in the distance.
Post #352520 19th Aug 2014 4:02pm
walfy

They probably did have lectures/talks from the armed forces from the local camp. It's just they got in, did the talk and got out again before anyone realised they were there Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #352522 19th Aug 2014 4:10pm
ZeDefender

Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
I guess it's comforting to know it's happening elsewhere too, although I wish it wasn't Rolling Eyes Tell someone you love them today because life is short.

Last edited by ZeDefender on 19th Aug 2014 4:26pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #352524 19th Aug 2014 4:13pm
JWL

Good one Walfy, you can allways tell which ones to listen to, they're the ones with the beards and suntans Whistle
Post #352527 19th Aug 2014 4:25pm
walfy

And that's just the mums, Rolling with laughter 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #352529 19th Aug 2014 4:27pm
JWL

Now that's cruel, I can see why you don't live around here Whistle
Post #352530 19th Aug 2014 4:28pm
walfy

I've worked with "them" a couple of times and instructed on specific courses for them. I have he utmost respect for them. They were like sponges when it came to instructing them. Their thirst for knowledge was unreal. Bow down Bow down 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #352531 19th Aug 2014 4:30pm
JWL

Like everybody round here I have the utmost respect for "them" and utter contempt for the fakes. You wouldn't believe how many try it on round here Rolling Eyes
Post #352533 19th Aug 2014 4:37pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
You have to remember it’s not all about teachers and schools they can only teach what the government decrees in the national curriculum.

Parents should be the greatest teachers of their children; trouble is if the parents know nothing what chance have their children got!

Knowledge used to be passed on from father to son, mother to daughter and the like; however modern life is having its impact on the practical side of life, such as out throwaway society, when it’s broke buy a new one, even electric plugs come sealed nowadays and many parts are impossible to repair.

Look at pluming which used to be an apprenticed skill that took years to learn, now we have push together plastic fittings, we have components that have a built in obsolescence, little wonder that our children are taught differently.
Post #352541 19th Aug 2014 5:05pm
ZeDefender

My problem is that my younger son hates it when things break and always wants to fix them himself. When he comes to me for help, mostly with Chinese electronics, I often just panic...
The big stuff is okay but faulty sound cards, mobile phones etc. are just depressing Rolling Eyes Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #352545 19th Aug 2014 5:26pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
gilarion wrote:
You have to remember it’s not all about teachers and schools they can only teach what the government decrees in the national curriculum.

Parents should be the greatest teachers of their children; trouble is if the parents know nothing what chance have their children got!

So true, I left school at 11 so can tell a few tales.
I'm now self employed and doing relatively well considering, I'm proud to be a little different to the hoard of others but don't wish them bad luck providing I'm not treated lesser!
I also think financial management is a critical thing to learn and understand and schools do not do it.
But as mentioned schools and teachers only follow the draconian rules that are laid out before them.
Parents often have little life or time due to financial commitment that is forced up on them.
Also you cannot learn from paper or online only, practicality come into it most of the tine and those that due not possess a practical ability will need very deep pockets paying for this and that for others to do their work.
That's providing there is trades still available in the future as everyone thinks they are better than doing such a job.
Post #352547 19th Aug 2014 5:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>