↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > 4.2V8 overhaul
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rosso_NI

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 110 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Galway Green
4.2V8 overhaul
This is my 4.2V8 overhaul so far, and the major part of my 130 Double cab re build (in 130 section)

When i bought 130 there was a 3.5 V8 in engine bay which was not plumbed or wired in. I considered at length my engine options, trusted 200 or 300tdi rivert to original TD5 as its a 2003 Defender or sort out the 3.5V8 which in hindsight might have been easier option.

So in a moment of madness, if i was going to go for V8 i would go for a 3.9 EFI V8, have driven a few and owned a Range Rover Classics and to be honest just love the sound of a V8.

When a Classic LSE Came along with a 4.2V8 i was keen to see if i could make it work, so test drove it and agreed a price. There was a rattle in engine which was suggested the cam and lifter where probably badly worn and had never been changed in 120k miles

Thought i would replace and upgrade camshaft and replace lifters job would be done Whistle

V8 engine swap and overhaul began

Engine in the Classic

Click image to enlarge

Another Classic bites the dust ready to lift out

Click image to enlarge

3.5V8 ready to come out of 130

Click image to enlarge

Should have taken a few more photos at this stage when i had engines out etc. however i just wanted to get stuck in and get my hands dirty, so engine an gearbox was split and started to take V8 apart.

As i am sure you can imagine was not happy to see this when i opened the V8 up Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

One very bent push rod

Click image to enlarge

So a bit more of an overhaul than i bargained for Shocked

Engine stripped down to bare block sump removed to check for any damage to bottom end check for metal fillings in oil pick up etc all seemed fine, which was a sigh of relief

Click image to enlarge

Managed to do a quick little job and refurb oil pump

Click image to enlarge

Gears score face plate so reconditioned and replaced the gears

Click image to enlarge

Attention was then turned to cylinder heads valves didn't look that great so removed valve springs valves etc. and as you can see valve seats where in a sorry state, badly pitted etc. valves were not seating properly

Click image to enlarge

Could have gone down the road at this stage of getting Heads professionally done but didn't have £200 a head in my back pocket so set about doing them myself. Budget was not allowing for new valve seats or high flow guides or any other tasty upgrades

Dremel and some polishing stones seemed to do the trick

Click image to enlarge

For the sake of £100 i decided to replace all 16 valves these were ground in by hand i must say one of the most tedious jobs, but rewarding never the less.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Thankfully i have just started to bolt things back together 1 month later, wish i had more than a couple of hours in the evenings.

A much cleaner block with new upgraded Piper high lift cam, Kent Duplex timing chain and lifters all in place Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Cylinder heads reassembled and in place with new head bolts and composite head gaskets

Click image to enlarge

This is me up to date will update on progress shortly, hoping to have engine closed up in the next week or two, thanks for reading Thumbs Up
Post #349140 3rd Aug 2014 8:18am
Rosso_NI

Rocker covers on

Sump, timing cover, valley gasket, injectors fuel rail etc all bolted on, plus a few other bits.

Post #350653 9th Aug 2014 8:13pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Looking good.
Don't forget to consider a nice set of headers or at the very least a nice set of pipes & mufflers so that you'll be able to hear the lovely sound of that V8 when it's "working".
From the land of V8s, Pickles.
Post #350690 9th Aug 2014 10:45pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Your going to have to work faster because I want to see more Rolling with laughter
Post #350691 9th Aug 2014 10:46pm
Rosso_NI

Progress has been slow over last few weeks have not been able to get anywhere near the V8

Managed to get inlet manifold etc fitted

Click image to enlarge

New water pump and gasket also fitted

Click image to enlarge

Not sure about inlet manifold paint job, might look alright when in engine bay. Embarassed

Next job on list is pumps, pulleys, belts, alternator etc. and simplify if possible.
Post #358829 18th Sep 2014 11:58pm
Rosso_NI

Sorry to dig up an old thread thought i would post a few more pictures showing completion and in engine bay of previous project. I intend to drop this into current Defender somewhere down the line, but will be marrying it up to a manual gearbox this time, so thought i would resurect the thread.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 1993 Defender 110 Ex Military soft top, with a long wishlist already
Post #504497 14th Feb 2016 9:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1