↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Scotland's west coast by defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Scotland's west coast by defender
So I've finally persuaded dad to sort some time for us to do a bit of a first 'overland' (if it can be so called) trip. Plan to do a lot in the future, but for a first we have 4 days and plan to do Scotland's west coast/islands area.

Brief:

have 4 whole days (4th->7th July) but assuming days 1 and 4 will be travel from/back to Cheshire so really have 3 nights/2 whole days to explore.

We want to get as much interest in as possible, not just trundling along motorways and a roads through boring fields: ferrys/beaches/greenlanes/viewpoints/rickety old bridges/castles/ etc are a must, the more the better. Quite fancy the thought of trundling along beaches or getting a little ferry between islands etc.

Also dads a keen whisky-a-holic so was thinking of getting in a distillery viewing, maybe Talkisker (Skye)? on that note- I've been reading the LRO mag article in which the couple in the old V8 disco travel from northern Scotland along the west coast down to Ireland, and along the west coast of Ireland - its an interesting read. does anyone know, can you still get the little ferry mentioned in the article from Glenelg onto Skye? looked an experience!

Also thought that Tobermory (and the island of Mull) might be interesting to visit (maybe even stay a night in?).

On that note we'll need B&Bs/inns for the 3 nights, or some sort of accommodation anyway, if anyone can suggest any?

If anyone can suggest an interesting (interest is better than long distance, island hopping sounds fun) route that could span over 3 nights/2 days that'd be great, or a selection of must see locations in that area to join together.

Also feel free to just reminisce/ramble ( Laughing ) about your own trips to the area!

Cheers in advance guys, David Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #338368 15th Jun 2014 11:11pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
also- quite fancy some water driving? fords/flooded roads exposed at low tides/beaches/river roads etc etc !!

the more off the beaten track, the better. We don't need to make the overall thing too long distance wise, if we're exploring interesting places more slowly then great. Cheers, David
Post #338371 15th Jun 2014 11:15pm
garethmorgan50

United Kingdom 
Sounds like you'll be doing a lot of travelling around, if you want to go to Talisker and Tobermory, I don't think it would be as leisurely as you think.. not in a couple of days. The West coast is beautiful but if you're only there for a short time, I would pick a much smaller area so that you have time to enjoy the views.
Post #338392 16th Jun 2014 6:43am
Dave T

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Cairns Blue
Have a check over on Disco4, that is a question that has been answered many times. Remember the roads are far from being motorways once past Glasgow so allow plenty of time. Heres a couple of threads for starters

http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic111125.html?highlight=scotland
http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic86040.html?highlight=scotland 2015 RRS Autobiography SDV6
1994 Def 90 300tdi
Post #338393 16th Jun 2014 7:00am
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi David

Had a look at a the topics on Disco4, lots of great advice. One thing to remember is that a lot of the Scottish Isles still have Sunday as a day of rest & worship meaning that nothing including pubs & restaurants open! Ask me how I know Crying or Very sad

Have a look at the SLROC forum as they run green road runs all over Central Scotland during the summer and you should be able to join on the day and tag along.

http://slroc2.co.uk/forum/

Hope you have a great trip.

Cheers
John 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #338394 16th Jun 2014 7:11am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
There's a few posts already on this forum:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic8690.html?highlight=scotland
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic20905.html?highlight=scotland

Some of the villages and areas are wonderful:
The Bealach na Ba over to Applecross:

Click image to enlarge

Shieldaig
Plockton

Click image to enlarge

If you DO go to Skye, it's great to go by ferry from mallaig, and maybe use the bridge on the other direction...the road from Fort William to Mallaig passes 2 spectacular places - Arisaig and Morar. The White Sands of Morar are well worth a glance:

The other way (using the Bridge), you pass the wonderful Eilean Donan:

Click image to enlarge

On Skye, in Glen Brittle there are a few bridges over the river...some have fords next to them which I have driven. Pretty good Smile

Also on Skye, the Stien Inn is a lovely place, and the oldest Inn on Skye

I've spent the last 20 years exploring Scotland by land Rover, Motorbike, mountain bike & sea kayak since moving her in 1992...like garethmorgan says, you'll not scratch the surface in a few days, but you can pick-off some highlights Thumbs Up

If you want to go wading...you need this page: http://www.wetroads.co.uk/highlands.htm Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)

Last edited by MartinK on 16th Jun 2014 1:45pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #338402 16th Jun 2014 8:39am
Dave T

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Cairns Blue
jomara wrote:

Have a look at the SLROC forum as they run green road runs all over Central Scotland during the summer and you should be able to join on the day and tag along.

Unfortunately theres not a GRR onthat weekend, but if you look towards the bottom of this page you will see a link to the year planner, for anyone visiting the area, arrangements are normally able to be made to avoid joining for the year if you want.

http://www.slroc2.co.uk/ 2015 RRS Autobiography SDV6
1994 Def 90 300tdi
Post #338447 16th Jun 2014 12:42pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Hi, have a look at my pics from my west coast trip.

https://picasaweb.google.com/letsoffroad/HighlandsRoadTrip2012
Post #338453 16th Jun 2014 1:05pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
GREENI - some lovely pics in your album - I like this one of the Bealach ne Ba

Click image to enlarge

I see you've mentioned PLOCKTON as a favourite place Wink Plockton could also be on your list because it's only a 10-15 minute drive from the Skye bridge... Thumbs Up

Lovely & moody piccie in the mist Thumbs Up Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #338459 16th Jun 2014 1:44pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
About half way down this page you can see my pictures from the Applecross area last year.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic2032-8550.html

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #338467 16th Jun 2014 2:26pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
MartinK, it was your info that inspired me Thumbs Up

Let's hope davidw gets to go Mr. Green
Post #338494 16th Jun 2014 5:15pm
keith

Scotland 
I live on the west Coast . I am on and off the most beautiful islands in the world all the time . I look at Arran every day and can see right up the west coast . There are many beaches with pure white corral sand and crystal waters with no one there . Here is my recommendation for you guys traveling from the South .
1. Take the west Coast tourist route after the border at M74 , this will eventually bring you to Turnberry , Ayr and the port for Isle of Arran .
2. Visit Arran and distillery for day 1 .
3. Take the small ferry off the back side of Arran and travel up the mull of Kintyre visiting Tarbert and the crinan canal on the way to Oban ( gateway to the isles )
4. Take ferry from Oban to Amazing Mull . Drive around the island with lots to see , visiting Tobermory and Calgery beach .
If time allows then visit isle of Staffa .
5. Back to Oban and take the ferry to lochboisdale on Uist . Drive up the islands of the outer Hebrides to Stornoway ( you will be blown away with what you see )
6. You can now either take the ferry to Ullapool on the mainland west coast and the drive back home OR ferry to Uig on the isle of Skye .
7. If arriving on Skye then get to Dunvegan castle and the old man of Storr and head off by the Skye bridge and your journey South back home .

There are many distilarys , castles , mountains beaches and amazing places to visit along your route . If you look at the map then you will see a perfect west coast circular route that I have mentioned .
If short of time then simply miss a section out .

I am available as a private tour guide for those with a little extra cash to spare .
Landrover , champagne and camping included in your costs .
Keith
Post #338515 16th Jun 2014 6:35pm
Spruce Pirate

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Zambezi Silver
I don't think two days is enough to cover much of the west coast. I'd suggest picking an area and sticking to there, Galloway; Argyllshire; Lochaber; Mull; Ross-shire; Assynt? Apologies to all the other areas I've forgotten. It should be possible to drive up the west coast in two days, but if you're following the coast, driving is probably about all you'll do. I wouldn't worry about motorways, you're unlikely to find any.

If you can, pick a date when the forecast is good, the weather can turn the west from a nice place to be to a stunning place to be, although bad weather has its own charm too! Whatever the weather, hope for a breeze to keep the bity beasties at bay.

My advice would be pick a general area, head for there and see what you find. That's the idea of exploring isn't it? Thumbs Up Dirty Deeds - Done Dirt Cheap
Post #338562 16th Jun 2014 8:52pm
timbar

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
We've just planned two weeks at end of July, stopping in the lakes, then in Oban, and off onto Mull, camping.

Am looking forward to the midges Smile

David, I'll be watching for photos and some destination inspiration -- have a great trip! 2009 110 XS Station Wagon
Post #338617 16th Jun 2014 10:53pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Thanks for all the advice guys, given us a lot to think about.

Will make decisions etc and keep filling you all in with plans, any more 'must sees' please keep em coming Smile Cheers, David
Post #338621 16th Jun 2014 11:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>