↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Installing a 12V plug in the back of a 110SW?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Hans

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Installing a 12V plug in the back of a 110SW?
Does anybody have experience installing a 12V plug in the trunk of a Puma 110SW? Where to connect the cable, how to route it to the back, where to put the plug?
Thanks in advance. Hans
http://www.orlaya.fr
Post #29857 15th Apr 2010 8:53am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Hans,

Just sent you a PM. Do you want the 12 volt supply to be off the ignition or permanently supplied? What is it going to be used for? Current consumption, cable sizes etc.etc. will all have to be considered. Here to help!

Dog Thumbs Up Dog If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #29859 15th Apr 2010 9:06am
dgardel

Italy 
Re: Installing a 12V plug in the back of a 110SW?
Hans wrote:
Does anybody have experience installing a 12V plug in the trunk of a Puma 110SW? Where to connect the cable, how to route it to the back, where to put the plug?
Thanks in advance.

remove the right rear speaker cover, you'll can see a free 2 way connector (with 90° T plug). this is the 12V plug connections for the plug.

It is able to 300W 30A fused and directly connected to the battery (not like the 12V plug on the facia that is powered only with acc. ON) Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #29860 15th Apr 2010 9:07am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Very easy, half hour job. I used it also to load a small 40Ah battery for camping. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #29867 15th Apr 2010 11:11am
Hans

Re: Installing a 12V plug in the back of a 110SW?
dgardel wrote:
Hans wrote:
Thanks in advance.

remove the right rear speaker cover, you'll can see a free 2 way connector (with 90° T plug). this is the 12V plug connections for the plug.

It is able to 300W 30A fused and directly connected to the battery (not like the 12V plug on the facia that is powered only with acc. ON)

Very interesting. Will try this next weekend. Thanks for the info!
I want to use it to power a small refrigerator. I'll probably have to disconnect it when parked to avoid draining the battery. Hans
Post #29869 15th Apr 2010 11:26am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Hans,

Just wire up an auxilliary supply off the ignition to a relay coil and run Dgardel's cables behind the speaker through this relay.
End result ignition off/supply isolated. Just in case you forget to switch off manually it'll prevent your battery from going flat.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #29874 15th Apr 2010 1:43pm
Hans

K9F wrote:
Hans,

Just wire up an auxilliary supply off the ignition to a relay coil and run Dgardel's cables behind the speaker through this relay.
End result ignition off/supply isolated. Just in case you forget to switch off manually it'll prevent your battery from going flat.

Thumbs Up

Good idea! I'm sure that one day I'll forget to switch the refrigerator off and be unable to start the engine afterwards.
Thanks again for the wiring diagrams. Hans
Post #29876 15th Apr 2010 1:58pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I can supply good quality German made cigar type sockets or DIN sockets that plug straight into the wiring if anybody is interested.

Pete.
Post #29919 15th Apr 2010 9:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
Fridges are best hard wired into a second battery with a decent split charge system. Most of the plugs for 12 volt sockets are a pile of poo. If you go down that route use a anti vibration one plug rather then the standard plug.

If going down the single battery route it must be ignition switch operated otherwise you run risk of flattening your starter battery which is not good news

I also could mention we have a stock of marine grade sockets, split chargers etc but that would be considered spam so I better not Laughing

Brendan
Post #30056 18th Apr 2010 2:46pm
Coolcamper55

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
K9F wrote:
Hans,

Thumbs Up

Could I possibly get a copy of the wiring diagram please just about to do the same job to allow the use of air compresssor, coolbox, portable lights etc.

many Thanks,

Tommy Tommy

110 XS TDCi
Post #30515 22nd Apr 2010 7:40pm
dgardel

Italy 
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

Whistle Whistle Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #30516 22nd Apr 2010 7:48pm
Coolcamper55

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Many Thanks,

Tommy Tommy

110 XS TDCi
Post #30547 23rd Apr 2010 6:52am
Hans

leeds wrote:
Fridges are best hard wired into a second battery with a decent split charge system. Most of the plugs for 12 volt sockets are a pile of poo. If you go down that route use a anti vibration one plug rather then the standard plug.

A second battery looks like the best solution indeed. It would allow the fridge to be switched on even when the engine is not running. But I have to connect it with a plug because I want to remove the fridge when I don't need it or when I need more room in the trunk.

Any pointers to good dual battery solutions? Hans
Post #30556 23rd Apr 2010 8:10am
leeds

United Kingdom 
There are many sort of solutions to twin batteries in Defenders.

First problem is shape of bottom of battery box. Needs to be level off with either wood or buy a twin battery tray from say Devon 4 x 4.

Biggest twin batteries that will fit into a standard Defender battery box are probably Odyssey 1700. These will fit either way but is a snug fit. Twin Odyssey 1500 not a problem.

Location of auxiliary fuse box??? With twin batteries in the battery box it can be fiddly get to the fuse box to replace blown fuses etc. Best sort of auxiliary fuse box is the 12 way fuse box with negative bus bars so that you can run negatives all the way back to fuse box easily.

Charging systems?? Anything from a manual switch up to a proper intelligent battery management system from IBS. THe IBS system provides battery readouts, intelligent charging and possibility of linking batteries. The Gensis system seems to have a glitch if one of the battery voltage gets really low.

Was fitting twin Odyssey 1500 in the 110 Ute today with the IBS system and a 12 way fuse box under the drivers seat. Will be fitting an Anderson connector to passenger seat box powered from main battery. Twin 12 volt sockets on cubby box and 12 volt socket to rear all powered from second battery. Plus a few lights Razz

On the 110 overland vehicle we have twin Odyssey 1700 transversely mounted with fuse box in battery box and a Gensis split charging system. This system has evolved and needs upgrading and tidying up

HTH

Brendan
Post #30606 23rd Apr 2010 6:15pm
driver

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Re the perminent 12v supply behind the rear right speaker from the purple/black wires where abouts is the fuse that controls this and what size is it.
As i was wiring up an acc socket and accidently caught both wires with the wire strippers and have blown the fuse? as the power supply is dead now , any help appreciated.
Post #36843 23rd Jul 2010 8:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>