↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > 'Book' Values .. where to find ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mean Green

Scotland 
'Book' Values .. where to find ??
I am considering changing my everyday car (Mazda6 Estate), I want to be fully armed before running the gauntlet of the Used car salesman, who from passed experience I know will be obsessed with 'book' value and not much else.

The last time I changed ( a couple of years ago) the dealers punched my vehicle details into a computer and out popped a value. Does anyone know what site they use and is it available to the public?

What I want to do, is both find the value of my car and also book values of whatever I see that interests me on the forecourts. Ideal I want to be able to punch in a reg, mileage etc into my phone and get a value there and then so that I know where the negotiations should start/finish.

I have no objection to dealers making a crust, that is there livelihood after all, I just want to be able to play the game and make sure that I am not being ripped off.
Post #348039 28th Jul 2014 1:47pm
CarlinAbz

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
whatcar.com has a valuation program and it prints out a lovely certificate.....might be of some help. I have traded in some cars recently and it seems to work. The other good check is to trawl auto trader and you can see what folks are asking.
Post #348043 28th Jul 2014 2:24pm
Columbus

Scotland 2005 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Alveston Red
I carried out an HPI check on the last car I bought which also provided a value based on model age and mileage. I'm sure that I had the option of purchasing a block of three checks. This would allow you to check your car and also get an independent value for others you might be considering as a purchase.
Post #348047 28th Jul 2014 3:10pm
Mean Green

Scotland 
Thanks for those suggestions,

I am just trying to establish the book value 'vs' asking/retail prices. I have a good idea what it would take to buy another identical car and how much I would expect to get on a private sale, but just trying to get trade values.
Post #348055 28th Jul 2014 4:24pm
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
The system your dealer would probably have used would be the trade side of Auto Trader where we input all the details to advertise the cars, on this side of things is a valuation service where we put in a reg no and mileage and it gives a "trade" and "retail" value. This is a guide price and will also show similar cars for sale on Auto Trader and their price miles and how long the dealer has had it for sale, the dealer will use this information to reach a value on your car which will also be adjusted for condition/desireability.

Most dealers will have an operating margin of £1200-£1500 in a used car to cover all their overheads etc,so a good way to judge what your trade in value is likely to be have a look at similar cars to yours being advertised and deduct this amount. 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #348063 28th Jul 2014 5:28pm
pob1968

Look at what they sell for on autotrader and work back, for example if they sell for £3000 think dealer will offer £2000 for it. 110 Hardtop
Post #348067 28th Jul 2014 5:53pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Confused do a valuation service free, all you have to input is the reg number. It's not at all good for special vehicles like classics, but ok for ordinary cars.
http://carvaluation.confused.com/?_ga=1.22...1406571528 Now left.
Post #348083 28th Jul 2014 7:21pm
Mean Green

Scotland 
Lou Sparts wrote:

Most dealers will have an operating margin of £1200-£1500 in a used car to cover all their overheads etc,so a good way to judge what your trade in value is likely to be have a look at similar cars to yours being advertised and deduct this amount.

Thanks Lou - I hadn't expected it to be quite as much as that and I know it depends on where they got the previous car from and the deal they did on that etc etc. When the time comes I want to be armed with facts - ideally what I want is a straight swap, I just want to know the trade value of both rather than try to compare retail with trade.
Post #348116 28th Jul 2014 9:11pm
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
When the time comes pm me your reg no & mileage and I will get a valuation from our (the dealers) side of Autotrader, this is what your dealer will look at.

Forewarned is forearmed Thumbs Up 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #348129 28th Jul 2014 9:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1