↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Finance & Insurance > Insuring a car you don't own
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mean Green

Scotland 
Insuring a car you don't own
Does anyone have any experience insuring a car they don't own on a private policy. I plan to borrow a mates stored Range Rover Classic for a few weeks while my Defender gets some work done. Am I likely to encounter any problemThe s?
Post #385733 6th Jan 2015 11:46pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Nope, it just costs slightly more Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #385734 6th Jan 2015 11:47pm
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
Just google short term car insurance, there are plenty of policies that let you do this as long as you are borrowing the vehicle and not hiring it ( gets slightly more complicated ) .

As said it just costs a bit more .
Post #385742 7th Jan 2015 12:01am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
walfy

Why not add it to your policy for that short period of time? 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #385834 7th Jan 2015 10:07am
Tim in Scotland

Just one word of caution - a few years ago I lent my car to my sister to use while I was away, conditional on her insuring it on her own policy. Unfortunately she had a minor "incident" and claimed on her own policy for repairs to a 3rd party's property. I was not told about the incident as there was no dmage to my car On my return my insurer contacted me to ask me to shed light on the claim as they believed the car had been involved in an accident and could I shed any light on the incident/ claim Embarassed Of course I didn't know anything and had to ask my sister for a statement. My insurer advised me that I should have informed them that the car was being loaned to a family member, it wasn't a problem, but they would have liked to have known and what alternative cover had been provided. It would be an idea in this day and age of insurers declining cover for the sligtest reason for your mate to advise his insurer too that you will ne loaned the car and that you will be making your own insurance cover provisions otherwise he could find his insurer efusing to give cover if you make a claim for the vehicle even on your insurance. Insurers, it seems, talk to each other when money needs to be paid out! At other times they ignore each other! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #385842 7th Jan 2015 10:21am
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
^^^^^....and then they can increase your insurance as your car is now more of a "risk". That's why they like to know.

NEVER phone your insurance to check if you are covered for some damage you have done. Always ask the question, "if I was to damage my car......."

I know a guy who had his car parked on his father's drive. His father collected a step ladder from the garage and accidentally dropped it and damaged the wing on the car.

He phoned his insurance to ask if he was covered to have it fixed. He was, but the excess was more than what the local bodyshop quoted him. He therefore didn't claim.

The following year his insurance company put his insurance up by about 40%, when he phoned and asked, the response was........"it's due to your accident". Apparently he was now more at risk of claiming...........

Personally, I have the opposite argument. I haven't had an accident for many many years, if I had one today, statistics show that I'm not going to have another one for many many more years, therefore, I'm less of a risk........but that won't make insurers any money.

Sorry for the off-topic. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography
Post #386740 9th Jan 2015 3:05pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Insurance company logic Whistle
If you claim culpability for an accident your premium may not rise due to the fact that insurance companies believe that if you have caused an accident it makes you a more safer driver in future! Rolling Eyes
Post #386744 9th Jan 2015 3:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1