↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 2005 Cruise Control. Works when clutch depressed ?????
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Butters

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Zambezi Silver
TD5 2005 Cruise Control. Works when clutch depressed ?????
I have a heavily modified defender 110 and the most recent addition is cruise control.

We have just replaced the clutch master cylinder switch with a brand new one, as the old one was discarded when I had the red booster clutch servo fitted. The defender performs great and is Much smoother with the switch connected between the gears so I guess the surge reduction system in the ECU is working.

Cruise control won't work with the switch plugged in ??

This is the bizarre bit,

If we loop together the two terminals on the clutch switch wire together, the cruise works. (But obviously the engine revs funny between gear changes as surge protection ECU recons the clutch is in the same position and with the loop of wire on place can't return to the ECU in built parameters. So the engine holds the revs for a second then goes back to normal (rubbish to drive like this)

We took the power feed for the cruise from a wire in the dash ignition I think, not pin 33 or 35 I have heard mentioned before on this and other blogs. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

The stalk we have is an American job, it has a small circuit board inside which allows a momentary switch work for on off and activates a led when switched on. The other two switches appear to just be momentary, as a std switch would be.

Another strange thing is if we loop the clutch switch wire out to make the cruise work, and operate the wiper switch fast the cruise switches off.

I am stumped by this and can only hope somebody has some answers,

I am unsure whether the switch contacts in the wiper switch are causing a pulse which is effecting the circuit board in our aftermarket cruise switch arm.

I am unsure whether the cruise arm is causing the problem, the switch or wiring at the ECU end.

The auto spark is convinced the wires are all as per the instructions, any help would be greatly appreciated.

It does seem like our clutch switch is working backwards somehow???? Defender TD5 110 DC (Silver)
Range Rover Vogue TD6 L322 2006> (Black)
Post #219094 14th Mar 2013 8:56pm
chinnus

2001 Defender 90 Td5 ST Coniston Green
Which model of cruise control did you have?? I am about to install the AP900 system..

I believe all cruise control units are the same.. manufactured by a company called Lite On then companies over here import then and rebrand them...

You can buy specific looms but its not neccessary

I will take photos of the whole install and create a guide....

Cheers
Post #219505 16th Mar 2013 12:20pm
Butters

Clutch Switch at fault MSK500010
It's the clutch switch we think is at fault, the wiring diagrams are all over the net and the instructions off is on first four website so don't worry, was just looking to see if anybody else had this problem of the switch in the wrong state when not depressed. I.e. our switch is backwards to what it should be.

Anyways will post the results of the switch swap later this week, the cruise i have is own loom and a stalk from the US we have adapted, its nothing like the kits you talk of, if only it was that easy LOL.

I'm gonna get over the circuit board problem in the stalk by taking it out of the stalk and binning it then fitting a latching relay remotely to make the momentary on off switch work in the same way, the led in my stalk will be wired up too, but no silly circuit board as it appears its picking up I interference from the switch contacts in the wiper. I recon the stalk I've pinched of something else is designed to work with a can bus system with a box CPU to plug it into.

Fingers crossed they've given me the wrong switch. Defender TD5 110 DC (Silver)

Last edited by Butters on 26th Mar 2013 11:45pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #219693 16th Mar 2013 9:52pm
Butters

SOLVED THE PROBLEM
Landrover has a batch of MSK500010 switches which should be normally closed (allow a beep from a continuity test)
Which are boxed and labeled 500010 but are in fact the switch from the later 2007 onwards defender the MSK500020 which is normally open (the exact reverse of what's needed for the TD5)

WRONG PART IN THE BOXES NATIONALLY
MSK500010

Are coming labeled as such but your actually getting a MSK500020 the wrong switch.

Well done Land Rover, estimated a pallet load or more of these out there that includes aftermarket kit as they're all the same for this part!! I would recommend you test with a meter before fitting. With a beep (continuity) test on a multimeter for the TD5 MSK500010 you should get a beep on the switch and for the 2007 onwards MSK500020 switch you should get nothing in the normal position (I.e. not fitted or pedal not depressed)

If you fit the wrong switch the cars ECU thinks the pedal is down when it's up and up when it's down, not good. Best to unplug it and the ECU will temporarily refer to some safe values for operation, no features will be active though such as surge protection or fuel cut off in a bang. Defender TD5 110 DC (Silver)
Post #222489 26th Mar 2013 11:44pm
chinnus

2001 Defender 90 Td5 ST Coniston Green
typical Landrover useless
Post #222491 26th Mar 2013 11:56pm
Butters

Land Rover called last week to apologise again and say the problem is definately national and possibly international with these cluch switches MSK500010 being wrong, they still haven't got me one so I have given up and rang a breakers for a second hand clutch master cylinder (which has the switch attached)

tut tut, they wouldnt say who made the switch so I could just get one direct and solve the problem though my guess is LUCAS, anyways Ive given up and got the second hand one on the way..... Defender TD5 110 DC (Silver)
Post #226990 13th Apr 2013 9:14pm
Butters

Got a clutch switch of an old one second hand, over a year on and it's spot on everything working properly so proving The faulty batch of landrover clutch switches.

Smile Defender TD5 110 DC (Silver)
Post #354426 29th Aug 2014 7:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1