↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Eratic Idle especially when cold
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 10 <12345678910
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Nevillerover wrote:
So, having changed the VCV/SCV, the local garage attempted a pump and injector re-learn for me.
They couldn't get the pump to Learn because it kept saying it needed to be up to temperature which it was already.
Anyone have any suggestions please?

That is actually a very common problem. The engine will never get warm enough under normal idling conditions to carry out the racalibration, and after driving it cools down quickly at idle. If you take it for a hard drive immediately before the operation and then do the recal quickly, you shouldn't have the problem.

If your CHT or coolant temp sensors are malfunctioning (I am not sure which it uses) then you may find it impossible to recalibrate the VCV.
Post #658035 18th Oct 2017 9:02am
OleDave

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Indus Silver
Hi all, have just spoken to the technician who does all the recal's on the vehicles and his comments were that its not normally an issue to have to get the engine temp up to operating conditions to do the recal! the only time a engine temp has to be up to the max is when testing diesel particulate filters. His thoughts were if the engine temp sensor is faulty it should have flagged up an error code.

In reading Blackwolfs post I would follow his advice anyway Nevillerover and do what he says and try it, from what he says it appears he has come across this problem before although on both my recals the engine temp was not a critical for a successful recal.

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #658053 18th Oct 2017 10:11am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nevillerover

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
Thanks for your help chaps.
As I don't have a suitable device I'll have to try and persuade my local garage to fiddle some more......or, bite the bullet and go to LR main dealer..
The annoying thing is I've spent money and time and still have an I calibrated pump so can't drive the bloody thing!
Post #658280 18th Oct 2017 10:34pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Well, I can report success with the tool that comes bundled with the remote BAS remaps.

If you've ever considered a remap you could likely kill two birds with one stone here. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #658310 19th Oct 2017 7:51am
B4Lamb

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
I know when I had my fuel pump calibrated after fitting a new VCV the garage arranged to do it as soon as I drove in to make sure it was at normal working temperature. Coolant temp will be around 90 C which you can read on the dash and the garage should be able to confirm that from the OBD socket connection to their diagnostic tool. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #658393 19th Oct 2017 4:30pm
B4Lamb

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
Having said that it drove to the garage ok and measured fuel rail pressures were similar before and after cal so the old VCV coefficients must have been similar to those after cal. No great improvement in performance after so maybe I was lucky. Of course fitting a new VCV solved the erratic revs issue. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #658396 19th Oct 2017 4:44pm
Nevillerover

It's done 170,000 miles so I don't think I should remap, it needs to put its slippers on now and have an easy time.
I'm picking it up Saturday. It's had injector relearn and if it runs ok, as you say the pump cal didn't do anything, maybe I'll just use it and see how it goes. Maybe it calibrates itself eventually?
Post #658408 19th Oct 2017 6:14pm
OleDave

Hi Nevillerover, well from what you say your landy has done a few miles, I have toyed with the idea of a remap myself and have looked at alive tuning, a few things have put me off doing that, the first reason is the cost, its hard to justify the outlay, my old girl only has to work hard when towing the caravan where an increase in HP would be benificial, however, the miles and usage do not warrent the spend.

In addition extra horse power does put additional strain on the engine and transmission componants which makes me reluctant to carry it out even though with the alive tuning programme you can revert to the original parameters by just plugging it back in and reverting to the original stored configuration.

My old girl has in comparison to yours has had an easy life, my annual milage is circa 2k as I am retired so she is languishing on the drive most of the time, its total milage from new currently stands at 34k but in saying that it has not been without its problems !! this year its has cost me a few bob's as the concentric failed and squirted hydralic fluid all over the fricton plate, then there was the scv problem on top and a new EGR valve.

Not long after I bought it it failed the mot due to swivel seals and a rusty swivel, when trying to dimantle it I could not get the drive member off no matter what I used, eventually it had to be cut until it fractured and could be pulled off, on getting it all off it was evident that the wheel had been stood in water as the CV and drive member splines had rusted and seized together, in addition to that all the swivel and wheel bearings were as rusty as an old horseshoe, all were replaced along with a new swivel and one shot grease applied to both sides.

I have had many an offer from people to buy her and even more admiring her, I have even had the local bobby knock the door asking if I would sell it to him, But would I ever let her go? Na of course not !!!

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #658538 20th Oct 2017 11:08am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nevillerover

that's an interesting story Dave because my Neville, (who now does just 5K per year) has only had shocks, a starter and now the VCV since ive had him. that's about 4 maybe 5 years now I think.

ive recently been thinking of swapping him for a low mileage one but as you have just explained, that doesn't actually mean less problems.

he's served me well and still tows a big at caravan well over the speed limit unless I rein him in (which I certainly do if I catch him at it).

sometimes its better the devil you know.......

Julian
Post #658552 20th Oct 2017 12:48pm
Nevillerover

Just thought I should report back on the results.
To summarise, VCV replaced, pump wouldn't relearn, injectors did relearn.
What a difference! I reckon the VCV has been playing up for a long while progressively getting worse so that I didn't really notice until it got really bad and stalled and hunted.
Now, idles smoothly, pulls like a train, is quiet with hardly any audible injector rattle once cruising, pulls 6th gear up hills that lately it wouldn't and to top it all, what I assumed was the dreaded clutch death rattle when started from cold has disappeared.
All thoughts of part exing him for a lower mileage one now gone, will probably buy him an Emoor padded cubby rear and a wipac led light set for Xmas as a treat.
Post #658968 22nd Oct 2017 5:55pm
OleDave

Hope the forums input helped? Thumbs Up

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #658994 22nd Oct 2017 7:28pm
Nevillerover

Most definitely. Best forum for certain.
Post #659003 22nd Oct 2017 7:51pm
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Worth renewing the MAF, MAP & VCV
Had a similar problem having not used the defender for about 3 months.

Symptoms were Masses of putrid smelling white smoke on start up for about 5 minutes until warm, erratic idle and the power band all over the place when starting in 1st gear and also changing to 2nd. Sounded like a bag of spanners and really thought something major was wrong.

Decided to change the MAF sensor(couldnt see anything wrong with the one I took out) and MAP Sensor(Old one looked like it had been stood in treacle and was choked with soot), but symptoms were still the same.

Lastly the changed the VCV and did a Pilot Relearn with my Nanocom. Thought whilst I am at it I would have a look at doing an Injector Calibration(always been a bit scared of this one in case I did it wrong and something went bang!). Anyway, interestingly, non of the codes on the injectors matched up with what the Nanaocom was reading so changed them all to the correct codes.

Wow, what a difference. No Smoke, No horrible smell from the exhaust, Engine just purrs(well for a diesel anyway), Power delivery seems to be spot on with no hesitation when pulling in 1st or even if I went into 2nd too early.

Complete different ride now and so smooth and quiet. And that is for a 2.4 with 145,000miles on the clock.

Considering the difference it made I think from now on Ill be changing the MAF, MAP and maybe even the VCV every second service.

Im still a bit confused tho' with the Injector Codes and the fact that they didn't resemble anything the Nanocom was showing. Especially when it still has the same injectors it left the factory with in 2010.
Post #662229 6th Nov 2017 4:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 10 <12345678910