↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Foxwing from OZTent
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Foxwing from OZTent
Anyone use one? anyone with any experience of using them in winds? how long do they last? are they really waterproof.

Has anyone done any reproofing?

and whats the difference between:

http://www.boab.biz/acatalog/Rhino-Rack_Foxwing_by_OZTENT.html

and

http://www.boab.biz/acatalog/FOXWING-AWNING.html

do they have different back to them for the mounting or just different bracket with the latter? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #344532 11th Jul 2014 3:28pm
domcoutts

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
I've got one, used it lots and it's the dogs whatsits. Extremely quick to open up and equally quick to put away. Very waterproof, used it in torential rain. Rain rarely falls vertically, and even if it does, it still splashes when it hits the ground, so rather like an umbrella, where your trousers can still get wet, the smaller the awning, the more likely those sat underneath it will still get wet. The foxwing offers substantially more shelter than any other awning, and particularly with the zip on sides, provides the best shelter you can get from an awning.

It supports itself whilst you pop the poles into the wings, so it's easily a one man job. In light airs, it's fine without guys, but it does ideally need pegging down as the canvas will otherwise become unwieldy windage and probably take off! But in my experience, when properly pegged down, it withstands strong winds very happily.
Post #344562 11th Jul 2014 6:31pm
Jimb1978

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
^^^^^+1

Had mine for years now and it is definitely the best bit of camping gear I have got. With no wind it is a one man job to deploy. If the wind picks up you will need 2 people to deploy it but it will certainly withstand high winds.

The canvas has never been retreated. I have only recently had to replace a pole because the mechanism inside has broken, but at £15 And a plentiful supply of spares from Brendan, this has not been a problem.

If you are considering it then I guess you can afford it. In my opinion they are well worth the price tag. 2002 110 td5
Post #344591 11th Jul 2014 9:23pm
Jimb1978

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
I have just re read your post...standard back, just different mounting brackets.

Mine was supplied with brackets to bolt to the end of roof bars. I have had to fabricate my own brackets for both the patriot and the hannibal rack I have mounted it to over the years. Other brackets are available to buy. 2002 110 td5
Post #344595 11th Jul 2014 9:34pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Do I need to give any warnings that I might be biased? Razz

The Foxwing is a collaboration between Rhino Rack and Oztents. So basically the same item.

The back plate has two continuous T channels running the full length of the back plate. It will take either an 8mm or 10mm hexagonal bolt head or the square headed bolts supplied.

It is important to guy the poles down as 10 metre square of awning could easily become a 10m2 sail.

Will it take winds? Well we have had one out in 55mph winds with no problem. Double guyed each pole and guyed the middle of each panel.

Yes they are waterproof. In heavy rain a good idea to lower poles slightly and guy the middle of the panel so it forms a valley, helps stops water ponding on the awning.

Use with a bit of common sense it is a great bit of kit. If one is unfortunate to have an accident with it we do carry spares.

HTH

Brendan
Post #344598 11th Jul 2014 9:59pm
jst

thansk guys for all your replies.

So does the Rhino one and the other one both have the same back? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #344604 11th Jul 2014 10:25pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Foxwing from Rhino Rack or from Oztent are identical Thumbs Up

Brendan
Post #344606 11th Jul 2014 10:31pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Any views on the version from Tuff Trek? Anyone got one?

http://tuff-trek.com/awnings.html

Andy
Post #344635 12th Jul 2014 6:49am
jst

leeds wrote:
Foxwing from Rhino Rack or from Oztent are identical Thumbs Up

Brendan

cheers Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #344687 12th Jul 2014 12:13pm
newhue

Australia 
Not sure if you can get these over there but these are Australian, and superior to fox wing. I have no connection, just have owned one for several years now and have several mates who have as well.
If the fox wing folds over in the wind it snaps it's hinging mechanism, and it's stuffed for the rest of the journey. These bad boys just fold back over and you carry on. I have seen both fold, and a it doesn't take much when setting up for this to happen. Can't see a freak gust of wind and very hard to stop if impossible.
Over here they are a tad more expansive than the fox, but made in Aus not China, so some one is make huge profits from there product. They certainly are water proof, and use proper canvas instead of some poly blend. No ropes to trip over like the fox has either. The 2.5 fits a 110 really well. I have a 3m on the 130 which fits great.
If you have a Oz Tent tent and think your Oz Tent Fox Wing will zip up and create a beautiful seamless shaded experience, well your right, but you will only do it once. Try re aligning the car to the tent after you have moved the car. Good luck.

www.supapeg.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=...cts_id=158

Last edited by newhue on 12th Jul 2014 9:58pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #344780 12th Jul 2014 9:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
Realigning a foxwing to an oztent is a piece of pi$$, having done many many times! I will share the secret. You mark where the vehicle needs to be by sticking a peg in before you drive off and leave your tent.
Barbara
Post #344782 12th Jul 2014 9:55pm
newhue

Australia 
well you have talent.
The people I have watched can only start the sip. Other wise it's a back forward, back forward,, back ford type deal for some time.
The fox is an ok product don't get me wrong. Just there are other options out there that may be better.
Post #344786 12th Jul 2014 10:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ken

United Kingdom 
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #344824 13th Jul 2014 8:59am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Barbara is only half right (Not often I get a chance to say that Razz )

Need two pegs marking centre of front and rear wheel. Drive off then on return park exactly where you were before. Lower awning centre poles, reattach zip then any minor discrepancies taken up in tent awning poles.

If space not available to use tent awning, you can put front of Oztent. (Other tents are available Razz ) under the Foxwing. However ensure both front corners are at least 3" under the awning to avoid unexpected cold showers. Guess how I know Whistle

Brendan
Post #344838 13th Jul 2014 10:12am
ken

United Kingdom 
Although it gets harder with an oztent village hence the quad Thumbs Up
Post #344840 13th Jul 2014 10:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>