Home > Technical > Fuel Pump
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Fuel Pump
Hi All,

I've had a good read about and I think I know the answer (sort of thought it anyway, but was hoping it wasn't), but I just want to double check with the mechanical gurus on here.

Ever since I picked up my TD5 DC (3-4 months ago) the pump has always had a whine when first putting the ignition on. Now an again is made an odd squishy noise.

Just recently, that odd squishy noise has been on every start. I normally let the glow plug light to go off then wait for the squishy noise to stop and she'll fire over first pop.

However a couple of times this week I've done the same but she doesn't fire. Neither the second and it's usually third or fourth time she fires.

I dont know how to describe the noise. Put a small well of water in your hand then put your hands together cupped around either other, then push down hard like you're forcing the water out. Or that really soft green goo you used to be able to get when kids (sometimes labelled as Monster Snot or similar). If you squish that, it makes a wet fart noise :p. That's about right and no, it's not me Wink!

Am I in for a new fuel pump now!?

Everything is starting to fail lately. Think the last owner knew it was coming and I got the blunt end of the deal! Hey ho! I'm in it for the long run now though!
Post #342419 3rd Jul 2014 8:36am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
If the pumps making a noise like that it could be letting air into the system. I'd try new injector seals and washers first (only fit genuine) then a new fuel filter (again genuine) also check around the FPR for leaks and maybe replace for peace of mind before going for a fuel pump as it's a big job and they cost a fortune.

Ray
Post #342424 3rd Jul 2014 9:07am
taazzukcb

I was planning an injector seal and FPR change anyway as it's very gooey around there. Just the FPR is another 100 odd notes for genuine Rolling Eyes ...

All I can say is the previous owner got rid at the right time ... though the biggest problem was the fact I dont think it was ever looked after properly! Was sat around for the last few years. Now it's in daily use ... all the probably small niggles before are now becoming more apparent.
Post #342430 3rd Jul 2014 9:36am
ade666

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Belize Green
I had the same issue with my dc. Changed the fuel pump for a new genuine one and it was fine for 2 days then the same problem whining pump andbstarting probs. Changed the injector seals, again with genuine parts and all sorted. Mine even seems to be a better drive now so i guess they were leaking for a while 110 double cab in belize green.
Few little mods here and there
300 tdi disco
Post #342440 3rd Jul 2014 10:28am
taazzukcb

Are the FPR 're-build' kits any good?

Or best just to go for whole new unit? Just seem to be almost gathering enough 'old' bits to build another defender at this rate!
Post #342469 3rd Jul 2014 12:11pm
taazzukcb

Also got some OEM Injector seals and washer on their way. Always intended to do it anyway, so may as well now. Nice 'cheap' fix, should it work!

Got bags of 300TDi ones and could do those in about 3 minutes ... TD5 just isn't quite as 'easy'!
Post #342472 3rd Jul 2014 12:13pm
taazzukcb

Update ...

Changed the fuel filter housing ... definitely needed doing, but didn't help.

Changed FPR ... again, was leaking, but didn't solve it.

Changed injector seals ... Pumps stopped squealing and gone back to it's gentle humm and it now starts on the button again! So it seems the seals were causing the issues!

I wouldn't be surprised if the pump goes at some point as it's been working overtime lately but we shall see!

Think my green main feed line to the FPR is also leaking slightly, but just keeping an eye on that!

So seems that before blowing the £280 on a pump, it's always worth giving the seals a shot!

I do get a bit of white smoke now which I need to suss out!
Post #345537 16th Jul 2014 9:05am
appaloosadude

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Havana
Did you do the injector seals yourself? I have nearly all the same symptoms as you...
Post #345664 16th Jul 2014 9:25pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
As I said earlier, always try the seals and washers first because the pumps are rather expensive. Glad it's sorted Thumbs Up
Post #345667 16th Jul 2014 9:28pm
PCA42

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
Had exactly the same symptoms on my 90, and it was also the injector seals. So a +1 for that fault fix Thumbs Up Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
1972 Series III 88" 2.25P
Post #345701 16th Jul 2014 11:14pm
taazzukcb

apaloosadude, yes, did the washers and seals meself. Not to bad a job, just time consuming and took to a bit of time to clarify the injector settings.

When it says to bottom them out, then back a turn. It's all the way down! Not just to where it goes from completely loose to getting the first sign of metal to metal. You have to wind them all the way down to where there's no more movement in the spring, then back a turn!

Obviously with the cam lobe at max lift (opposite to how I do me motorbike tappets).

Also have the proper injector puller. Makes it nice and easy to pull out (and it's perfectly straight!), but an arse to get the injectors out of the tool lol Laughing ... Might just be because its new and doesn't have the usual workshop wear!
Post #345740 17th Jul 2014 9:00am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Same fix worked on mine a few months back. Easy job (unlike sealing the rocker cover back up after!). I found the tip of using a 5mm allen key to 'pry' the injectors out was the perfect tool. Take the time to carefully clean the injector seats though.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #345746 17th Jul 2014 9:19am
taazzukcb

I'm sure the pry bar method works as plenty of people have been successful!

Mine though did require a good few clouts with the tool to remove! Wouldn't of liked to of done it using a pry'ing force! To be fair they were the originals @ 92,000, so whether that might be the case I dont know, but took a bit of force to get each out!

Another tip is also to do the clamps up in 2 stages. I did around 28Nm on first torque, went for a brew, then came back and did 32-34Nm. Enough to get another nip up. So settle the washers down and leave them, then just add a dab more compression. Works a treat.

As for cleaning, I did some thinners on a rag on the end of an extension and span it in my hands. I did however wonder if something like a dremel polishing end could work dipped in thinners (dont run it in a dremel), or even a baby bottle brush?

To clean the injector nozzles, again, some thinners on a toothbrush or nylon cleaning brush (not a wire brush!) cleaned them up beautifully for me!
Post #345757 17th Jul 2014 9:57am
taazzukcb

Rocker cover was fine for me, but I do have about 3 or 4 new rocker cover gaskets sat in me shed, so used a fresh one so perhaps that's why!
Post #345758 17th Jul 2014 9:57am
appaloosadude

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Havana
Taazz, did you use all the specific tools? (i.e. cam shaft timing pin, slide hammer etc)

I think I've got this.

I've read the manual, and I've read the various musings on the net. The bit I can't quite get is where you remove the rocker shaft to pull the injectors, then, rotate the engine. The rocker shaft operates the

[IMG]https://s3-eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/i.hubnuts.uk/xpb/04/04292be408f4a4da9b1a695fba632d19508af73fa875eb22f4f7219ca8d0a2a2.jpg~original[/IMG]

Also, where you mention about doing the injector settings fully tightened and then back one turn, to what does that refer? is that the spring on the injector itself? Or is it how you adjust the rocker foot onto the back of the injector?

Please bear with me, I've never don't anything common rail to this depth, it's all a little new to me. Also, I don't suppose there is anyone around Buckinghamshire that has the injector removal tool they'd lend me? I'd pay to use it, just can't justify spending £100+ for one job.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #346018 18th Jul 2014 11:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>