↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Places to live within the UK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Thanks for the replies so far, and thanks for the offer grafty, we've looked at several places around that neck of the woods, stayed at Shebbear 3 times in the last couple of months and driven around lots, looked at the areas around Monkoakhampton, Bradworthy, Petrockstow, Yarde, Peters Marland, Frithelstock, Buckland Brewer, Yarnscombe, Kings Nympton, Chittlehamholt etc etc, I've almost got used to some of the roads and places now.
Pob - I like it around the Lincs area, I've spent a fair bit of time around the Bourne area and it's lovely, I'll have a look at some Rightmove prices, is there any particular villages that you'd rec?
Custom90Steve - people have told us to give the area around Exmoor gets a lot of rain, then again Devon is the wettest part of the UK apparently, it gets the most sunshine but can also be windy and wet, particularly near Exmoor, not sure if it's just an old wife's tale?
Bob Neville - that looks very nice and value too, I always thought Somerset was very expensive, I'll check it out.
Thanks all, much appreciated
Post #340526 24th Jun 2014 7:45pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
We plan to end our days in either St Ives, Carbis, or possibly Lelant (has the best beach in the world, but keep it to yourselves). Nicest place I went to was possibly Lymington (everything considered), but it's so exclusive that it's twinned with itself! Now left.
Post #340529 24th Jun 2014 7:55pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Somerset can be very expensive, especially towards Bath and Bristol.

If you move towards the Devon border prices are more reasonable and there are some excellent properties, you just have to know where to look.

I have seen grown men cry when they find out what we paid for our converted chapel twelve years ago and what it's worth now Shocked

Good luck with your search.

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #340531 24th Jun 2014 8:01pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
What puddle? wrote:
Nicest place I went to was possibly Lymington (everything considered), but it's so exclusive that it's twinned with itself!

Landlord resettled there just last year from Plymouth..... Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #340534 24th Jun 2014 8:04pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
bob neville wrote:
I have seen grown men cry when they find out what we paid for our converted chapel twelve years ago and what it's worth now

Immaterial really....

It's only worth what someone is prepared to pay and unless you downsize, live in a tent or move to dowtown Beirut there's no profit in it.

I recently sold a bungalow in Bournemouth that my parents bought for £2,500 in 1961. Shocked If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #340536 24th Jun 2014 8:07pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
lambert.the.farmer wrote:
Harrogate is apparently the nicest, friendliest place in the UK.

+1! Lovely place! I'll move there one day Mr. Green An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #340572 24th Jun 2014 9:03pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Other than Defenders, what are your hobbies?

As a hillwalker, occasional rock climber, sea kayaker, mountain biker, and motorcyclist, I moved to Scotland. Obviously I don't have kids Thumbs Up

However if fat boy Salmond gets his way, I may be a refugee heading back to England Laughing Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #340583 24th Jun 2014 9:18pm
Lambley

^^^ Hi, my hobbies are hillwalking, dog walking, sitting in the sunshine, fishing, obviously Land Rovers, I was into motorcycling but I sold my bike last year and not bought anything since, cycling, like DIY, building things, gardening, chopping wood for the fire, spending time with my wife. Just normal hobbies I guess.
Ideally I'd like some land, if it's the right place then I can spend some 'extra' money from my company - as long as it's got some sort of business activity, it doesn't have to make money, just tick over, then I can get a bigger place without spending my own money, well, before paying tax on it to take it out of the company if that makes sense?!! I looked at a place with fishing lakes last year in Somerset, and a few places in Devon have some sort of holiday let with them, that'd be ideal, or as long as it's got plenty of land I could build a couple of log cabins in the woods.
Post #340600 24th Jun 2014 9:51pm
keith

Scotland 
I'v got just the place for you mate

Click image to enlarge

St Kilda Thumbs Up
Post #340613 24th Jun 2014 10:13pm
Lambley

Looks perfect for me and the dogs ... but I think my wife might have something to say about it!
Post #340615 24th Jun 2014 10:18pm
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
NYM National Park

Good people, cheaper housing, great fishing, great beer, great walking, Rural, good access to Northumberland, the lakes, scotland, Yorkshire dales, good beer, dryer than the west coast and more sunshine, greenlanes, less traffic, Seaside with lots of beautiful little fishing villages, great beaches. good beer.

Try before you buy have a break in one of our cottages later in the year. Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #340644 25th Jun 2014 7:31am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Like Lambley, I build stuff - I'm ALWAYS building and making stuff! And I always wonder how on earth you go on when there isn't a DIY store nearby. Where I live I have a large number of stores that can cater for just about anything. We have a store here called Drews who are just amazing, and there is Hobbycraft as well, of course, as well as B&Q, Wickes, and Homebase. I try to keep lots of bits in my garage(!), but I'm forever visiting a DIY store. Went to one the day before yesterday, yesterday, and I'm going to Wickes today! So although Keith's suggestion is a nice place, how would Lambley go on for a box of 50mm passivated M6 bolts? Big Cry Now left.
Post #340646 25th Jun 2014 7:45am
pob1968

Between Northorpe and Stamford area there are lot's of nice little villages/areas Smile 110 Hardtop
Post #340650 25th Jun 2014 7:54am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
ok, solved the problem for you
there are lots of lovely places in the UK to live, so get a nice caravan, then go all round the country stoping in new areas every few months (north in summer then south in winter) and absorbe the best of british !

Thumbs Up

Whistle Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #340692 25th Jun 2014 11:14am
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
http://www.ruralscene.co.uk

This is a good day dreaming website , set your price , acreage etc and then map view .

or for Wiltshire this is a good site http://www.w-w.co.uk/

Happy house hunting

I choose to live in Hampshire for peace , quiet and civility but it falls down on value for money.
Post #340708 25th Jun 2014 1:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>