↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Mikes Defender 90 Rolling Resto!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Mikes Defender 90 Rolling Resto!
As a long time motorcyclist doing a lot of touring all over europe in my 20's and early 30's; well along came some sprogs and i decided to drop the bikes and get into something else - land rovers, green laning and P&P's.

So after getting rid of my old pride and joy...

Click image to enlarge

I bought this 94 90 200tdi about 3 years ago now and have enjoyed every minute, even those when it broke! which is often lol.

I use it primarily for off roading on P&P and some green lanes, but my intention wasnt for it to be a monster truck and still look fairly at home on the road.

As you do, over the last few years ive done quite a bit to it, and wanted to stick a thread up so others could have a looksie and perhaps get some inspiration, or at least know what they dont like lol.

Any questions about any of the mods welcome!

So this is where it started, an old fairly tired 90, but straight and unmolested example with the venerable workhorse 200tdi engine. It must have previously had some work done as the chassis is pretty decent and the axles have been replaced with series 1 disco items.

Click image to enlarge

And so it started! The first changes were to give it some decent protection off road and so a winch bumper was added (ebay jobbie £220), some tree sliders from richmond shot blasting (£90) and diff guards.

Click image to enlarge
Post #338320 15th Jun 2014 8:49pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Well it spent many an hour visiting the tip, blasting over derbyshire, getting me to work in the summer occassionaly, in the snow and being blasted around various pay and plays lol.

It called for more mods!

Flatdog standard height and weight springs
Flatdog skeletal turrets
Koni dampers
Spring disclocation cones
Cooper STT 265/75/16 on black steels with 0 offset.
Heater cowl from muduk.
Remove stripes from sides.

and it ended up looking like this. I think a fair upgrade, excellent articulation and the difference in capability before and after was huge. The tyres and extra articulation made a huge huge difference. Getting addictive now!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #338327 15th Jun 2014 9:00pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
But it couldnt last, the vehicle was now in need of a little TLC after all the abuse its suffered. So what started as a little job of fitting a raptor dash resulted in me taking it off the road for nearly 4 months lol.

Taking things to peices is easy, putting them back together takes a little more time....
Post #338333 15th Jun 2014 9:10pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
So once I started pulling it to peices heres what I found!

Found some corrosion on the rear cross member which was fairly ominous so decided to get it sorted out. Knocked it all back and then had it patched and blended.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I started pulling apart the rear eletrics to fit new LED lamps, but found a right mess of previous bodge ups. Had to pretty much rewire the whole back of the vehicle. Also thought I would spray the rear load area, sounded straight forward but was a major major job.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So what started as putting a dash in (and may I add I never have and its still in my garage waiting fitting even now) ended up with completely ripping out the interior! The plan had got bigger though, including twin batteries, winch, accessory wiring etc. So you cant do that until its all been painted out! So now your talking complete internal spray job excluding dash.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The rear door was completely shot, rusted to Censored so I got one of those £99 doors off ebay and had it painted. Also fitted some zinc plated door hinges, and had to fix some of the paint on the body due to bimetal corrosion

Click image to enlarge

and while I was doing that I decided to fit a snorkel, but that meant pulling apart the intake, which led to knocking the rust off it and repainting... one thing leads to another etc.

Click image to enlarge
Post #338336 15th Jun 2014 9:28pm
Gert

Netherlands 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Good luck with all the work. Sometime you should take a bike to relax from all the work on your car. It's a good combination for sure. I combine my Def 90 TD5 with my other toy:
Post #339028 18th Jun 2014 7:53pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Thanks! Nice bike too. I never had a ducati, but owned numerous aprilia, BMW, Suzuki, Kawasaki etc.
Post #339094 18th Jun 2014 10:58pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Right then the next job was painting the interior before i fit the electrical installation. All painted by me in my garage in single pack polyurethane.

Running repair and painting of bulkhead. a few years life in it yet!

Click image to enlarge

Footwells and painted chassis underneath

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

New floor panels and rear storage boxes getting painted up

Click image to enlarge

Rear load area painted. Cappings looking a bit tired, but one for another day.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

In front of bulkhead area.

Click image to enlarge
Post #340069 23rd Jun 2014 12:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1