↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Help designing a 110 Hard Top stealth camper
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Monmouth

Wales 1990 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Firenze Red
Help designing a 110 Hard Top stealth camper
First a bit of background info. I live in Wales but work in London Town. I have recently sold my 2nd home in London (well Slough actually) so I'm flush with cash and no longer have a mortgage. When in London I now live in the back of a converted 2007 Transit (2wd Puma?). However there are also numerous others living in stealth campers at work, mostly ozzies and kiwis. This has not been a problem until recently when a couple of people turned up in standard non-stealth campers. Then some joker turned up in a 30 foot long American Allegro Winnebago and security twigged that there was a growing community of 'homeless' travellers living in the car park. Campers have been banned and security take a note of panel vans left parked for prolonged periods, those that are found to be campers are banned from the car park. I've had my van painted so that it looks like one of our on-site contractor's vans so I'm OK as long as I'm careful i.e. keep the van light tight, move it to a new parking space every day or two etc. I decided that I need a second van in case of breakdowns etc and this is my justification for buying the new LR that I've always wanted. My conversion needs are simple, a decent mattress, LED lighting, a heap of leisure batteries, a bit of insulation, a couple of roof vents, Webasto heater and a couple of Censored bottles. So what I'd like to know is do you have any tips for my conversion that will leave the outside of the Landy in mostly stock condition?

and is it easy to fit a split charge system to a Puma?... 1990 Defender 300TDi
Post #285868 28th Nov 2013 2:25am
Leenorthants

United Kingdom 
H
I am 6'3" and can kip in a 110 easy.

Suggest you board across the arches but be able to access underneath for storage.

You will need a set of curtains rather than a dog guard so you can access the front.

Rather than split charge, why not solar panel chargé a. Leisure battery to keep it easy, then house it in a battery box with 12v outlets.
Post #286057 28th Nov 2013 8:10pm
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
This should be fun, making a Defender " light-tight ". Rolling with laughter LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #286075 28th Nov 2013 8:47pm
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
What about a 110 or better still a 130 utility with a plywood pod inside. Privacy glass all round, where it is legal. This makes it difficult to see the "pod". Solar panels to trickle charge a leisure battery. The "pod" can then be set up to slide out when not needed, refitting the 2nd row seats and returning vehicle to original, apart from solar panels on roof. Whistle LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #286080 28th Nov 2013 8:55pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
How about this .... its about as stelth as you can go in a 5 door 110 ! Cool
I've slept just about everywhere in the wagon and its still looks normal and is a fully useable vehicle on a day to day use.
fitted water tank, sink, cooker, LED lights 240 inverter, etc ... fitting a cab heater this month, we have black out curtians and cover the windscreen with the same on the inside,( remove in the mornings .... )
A 110 without the back windows and no alpine lights would be easier though... Very Happy
(more pics in my gallery)

Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #286109 28th Nov 2013 10:09pm
Jim_Bean

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Gotta love those curtains!

Awesome truck - love it.
Post #286135 28th Nov 2013 11:04pm
wyvern

Thanks Jim.,
Those have long gone now and have cool blackout ones to replace them...
The print went with the first 110 we converted which was red, it had matching bed cover, pillow and seats,
but somehow the Leopard spots didnt match the Puma ..... Shocked Whistle
So we've got a cool black theme now and its very stylish and smart.
Cool Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #286172 29th Nov 2013 7:37am
Jim_Bean

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Where was you picture taken? Looks fantastic.

Was it easy to replace the original seats with ones? Is it something you can do especially for an expedition and then replace them again with the original ones?
Post #286206 29th Nov 2013 10:52am
wyvern

Hi Jim,
the photo above was on top of the Gotthard pass in Switzerland on our way to Venice a couple of years ago Cool .

Seats - I've aways left them in, but the drivers & front passenger seats are quite easy to remove completely if needed - just 4 bolts on each and lift off with the rails, but the rear seats are a different matter - with 6 bolts each & difficult nuts to reach under the body on top of the chassis, I'm not looking forward to taking one out to fit the airtop heater in a few weeks’ time. Shocked

However - the seats are quite comfortable for driving, I've owned them for over 10 yrs now and have been in 2 vehicles and I've covered over 100k with so am used to them. Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #286232 29th Nov 2013 12:21pm
PC

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
I owned this for a while - it was a 200tdi 110 van converted with a Disco auto box. There was a solar panel on the roof, fridge and water pump for the sink and outside shower, long range fuel tanks, Eberspacher heater and RRC velour seats. Needed a tidy up, but I used it in 'stealth mode' on several occasions. I believe it is languishing in the back yard of RST LandRovers on Mersea Island these days...

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #298185 12th Jan 2014 9:23pm
Uglysweatyguy

England 1986 Defender 110 2.5 n/a Diesel HT Nato Green

Hi,

I'm new here (and don't own a defender yet!)

This is exactly what I'm looking a doing though and I would like your thoughts on this bed idea.

I'd like to fit a pullout caravan type slatted bed in between the wheel boxes, in the pictures above there is an aluminium rail running along these, I would use similar ( probably C shaped ones) that would act as a rail that the slats would run on.When not in use they would push towards the bulkhead behind the seats and concertina together, when needed they can be pulled out to the extent of the fabric strips the slats are attached to.

Problems I foresee is the width would mean that maybe aluminium slats might be needed over wood.
Post #300356 19th Jan 2014 8:24pm
icecreemlove

United Kingdom 
Dear Wyvern, and everyone else. I am a newbie to the forum and am planning my first defender build / purchase. I love your sink stove combo. Did you fabricate this ?

thanks ice.
Post #351743 15th Aug 2014 11:18am
wyvern

Hi Icecreamlove
the cooker unit is a dormobile one available from Dormobile at

Dormobile Ltd.
18 Premier Way
Abbey Park Industrial Estate
Romsey
Hampshire
SO51 9DQ
United Kingdom

website -http://www.dormobile.co.uk

they are a little slow to answer but do good stuff
enjoy! Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #353598 25th Aug 2014 7:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1