↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > The way things are...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
The way things are...
Anyone else sick of all the bad press our own media seems to feed us about this country on a daily basis?
I sure am.

Personally I think that theres no better country to live in, and we should be more proud of what we have a achieved from a small island in the north atlantic with little in the way of resources etc...

We've shaped this modern world more than any country, and during that process have still managed to sustain an excellent country to live in, and a brilliant culture which probably has more influences and traditions as part of it than any other, certainly in Europe.

Just walk around london or any tourist destination and see the amazement and wonder on the faces of people who come from all around the world to just say they've visited the only country in the world with Great in the name!

also: off topic but i really think that 'Jerusalem' should be our national anthem Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #336693 8th Jun 2014 8:50pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I hope that not too many tourist want to visit Kew gardens, as is it's looking dire seeing as all the funding has been cut.
Serious risk of loosing a national treasure there. Rolling Eyes Sad

I'd also dearly like to know quite why so many foreigners have been allowed over here too,we need to preserve our country not just let anyone in.
We seem to just let almost anyone in, and we cannot support it.
It seems like the foreigners get more and end up with more rights than us too often or not.
Post #336697 8th Jun 2014 8:58pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
sorry David, I have to disagree, both Oslo, and Geneva are far better places to live than london, strangely both Norway and Switzerland are not "in" Europe but in the EEA.

Norway is recognised as the country with the highest standard of living, and Geneva - well, it's in the centre of Europe but without the ties
Post #336698 8th Jun 2014 9:04pm
bpman

how did that happen ?
Post #336706 8th Jun 2014 9:18pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
You were just trying to convince us...Smile

Cheers

Simon
Post #336708 8th Jun 2014 9:20pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
So I'm guessing you disagree ! Lol My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #336710 8th Jun 2014 9:21pm
bpman

i guess the web server went off on one ?
Post #336711 8th Jun 2014 9:23pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
I'm with bpman. David, Britain has been great, no doubt about that at all! We have been truly amazing, with the greatest empire the world has ever seen and will ever see. We've given the world an enormous amount, from politics to our justice system. We given the world great sports and high culture. Our writers, artists, and musicians are admired around the world. In short, we've been astounding. But now we're overcrowded and bursting at the seams. Our NHS cannot cope, and our infrastructure is only just coping. My biggest beef is our population. Now left.
Post #336716 8th Jun 2014 9:32pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Just because the press spouts off bad stuff, doesn't mean you have to listen, or indeed believe it!
Post #336721 8th Jun 2014 9:40pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
People repeat Daily Mail rubbish without looking around them for any facts. We're not full, only 9% of the UK is developed for housing. Foreigners pay more in tax and take less in benefits than the native UK public, they bring a net gain to the nation, although people like to think they're only here for the benefits alone. There is a shortage of affordable housing but you'd need to ask why the Thatcher and Blare governments decided not to build houses to replace the stock they were selling off. What we should all be doing is partitioning our MP's and asking why they've let things get like this and what they're going to do to fix it, exiting Europe isn't going to suddenly change things for the better, it's not the miracle answer to everything UKIP seems to think it is.
Post #336741 8th Jun 2014 10:11pm
Oscar Romeo

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Just a warning to all dissing the Uk your ip addresses have been logged with MI5 and will be hunted down!

Looked what happened to the treasonous Fawkes!
Post #336755 8th Jun 2014 10:32pm
bpman

Until you have lived in another country you really can't see a difference

Tax in Switzerland is substantially less than the UK

Std of living in Norway is much better than the UK

..... we may be fed a load of carp by the daily mail but sometimes they have a point ....
Post #336775 8th Jun 2014 11:09pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I don't believe coming out of the EU is the answer, not over night anyway for a certainty.
I believe that much stricter rules should be enforced.
Whether foreigners produce paid tax or not it's presides the point we cannot have our country altered to suit other cultures.
At the rate we've gone on in some parts of the country you'd hardly believe your in the UK and different cultures just don't mesh or intermingle.

In my eyes regardless of foreigners there is no togetherness or sense of community out there any more.
To much class distinction (still!) and age discrimination are two of the main culprits.
Where I live in a village you may as well not think of any community what so ever, they're all like mice running out the door to hop in the car and off, they not seem to have legs they don't often walk!
Of course, for this reason everybody does the same thing including myself now because the community is dead.
Perhaps I'm just in a rubbish area.
Post #336779 8th Jun 2014 11:25pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Well it was sad to read a all of your posts...

This is the thing: if people tell you enough that something is bad/overpopulated/flooded with immigrants, then you will end up believing it.

Hand on heart, from all my travels, there's nowhere I've seen better to live. Sure you can have a mathematically very high quality of life in say Norway, but there is much mire to life than that. What happened to pride/hopes/dreams/opportunities/traditions?

I wouldn't live anywhere else. Maybe you all need to visit the nicer parts of the country. Around me it's all fields, parks, friendly dog walkers, nice shops and towns etc.

Maybe it's time some people Andy then media actually took a look at the country around us. Be thankful that we HAVE an NHS! Look at all the culture/variation/hard work that most foreigners actually bring to the country! Compare our social problems to those of say france or others.

No country can be perfect, but I think we're among the best. Just look at how proud our cousins across the pond are, and they have all the problems we have and then a whole load more! We are in many ways the envy of the world, don't forget that. Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #336789 9th Jun 2014 1:06am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
sorry with BPman on this....how many times do I have to agree Laughing

anyhow I believe the great got sold off many years ago to fund the 'human rights' bull / free hand outs for those that in my opinion don't even deserve it.

I'm no mathematician but you don't need to be to realise that the money for all the hand outs has to come from somewhere
Post #336799 9th Jun 2014 7:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>