↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Old water well contaminated with bacteria
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Old water well contaminated with bacteria
I have an old well just behind the house which I would have liked to have used to supply a header tank to feed water to animal drinking troughs around the place. However having had the water tested results show that it's contaminated with bacteria making it unsuitable for animal use, the thought is that it may have been caused by slurry spillage when the farm had cattle years ago. Unfortunately the lab offered no potential clean-up solution so I'm after realistic ideas on how to go get rid of the nasties. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #335938 5th Jun 2014 1:20pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Could the local water board advise you at all? They normally have various additives etc that can be used.
But it'd likely cost.
Depends where the source is I suppose and if that is contaminated too, if it's treated it might need to be periodically and or checked regularly to test.
Post #335940 5th Jun 2014 1:25pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Maybe a chat with AndrewS as he is into water tanks/ bladders so he maybe able to advise.

How about a chat with the people who make the Lifesaver bottles as that technology is supposed to eliminate bacteria. They make jerry can purifiers so assume they can cope with bigger tanks/demand.

Assuming it is the well that is contaminated rather then the local ground water get an estimate for a new bore hole, maybe in a more convenient place to compare with treatment of the infected water.

Brendan
Post #335951 5th Jun 2014 1:56pm
redhandluke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Fuji White
NOT an expert but have some experience of wells on the farm. Some people will advice "shocking" the well with products like Colform (a chlorine derivitive), results from this tend to be temporary and if the ground surrounding the well is contaminated it will only be a matter of time before the well goes off again. Others will suggest reverse osmosis but as far as I know this may not remove all bacteria.
Our dwelling is still supplied by well and was declared fit but I had a UV system installed that just needs the lamps changed every 6 months.
Really worth getting expert advice.
Good Luck Thumbs Up
Steve
Post #335954 5th Jun 2014 2:27pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
I was just about to suggest a UV lamp, but redhandluke beat me to it. I really think that could do it. You would need a recirculating pump to continually pass the water over the lamp - a typical pond set up. Go and see one at your local pond retailer. An RO unit would work fine (as only H2O can get through the membrane) but they are pricey. Now left.
Post #336022 5th Jun 2014 8:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1