Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rock/Tree Sliders
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
airpusher

Wales 2006 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Zambezi Silver
Rock/Tree Sliders
Hey all,

I've been looking at rock/tree sliders and found 2 companies that are within my price range.

http://www.rock-sliders.co.uk/landrover-de...iders.html

&

http://shirefabrications.com/Commerce/?pro...-bars-copy

I've read a few good reports about the Rock Sliders.co.uk ones but that it can be slow getting them. The venom ones as yet I've not heard any reports but the pedal lock they make gets good reports so I guess they will be good quality too.

Has anybody got either and willing to offer their review?

I have about 4-5 weeks for delivery before I'm bad and able to fit them.

Thanks in advance Thumbs Up 2006 Defender Double Cab- Zambezi Silver
Post #335277 2nd Jun 2014 6:44pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I have the Rock Slider version fitted to my TD5 90.

Been fitted for just under two years and had plenty of abuse. Few very small chips in the powder coating (not really surprising as they are used for their intended purpose) but nothing to worry about.

Delivery can be slow but worth the wait in my opinion. Fitting on the 90 was about an hours work.

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #335279 2nd Jun 2014 7:11pm
airpusher

Thanks Bob,

I appreciate the reply. I'll probably go for them as they are cheaper and seem to have a good rep. Not heard much about the others.

The tennax studs are going in well, many thanks for them. Thumbs Up 2006 Defender Double Cab- Zambezi Silver
Post #335284 2nd Jun 2014 7:34pm
TooTall

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Charlie @ Roc-Ard is to polite to shout about his stuff on here so I'll throw this into the ring... Bow down

Rock Sliders : 90 Side Slider Vector Black : http://www.roc-ard.co.uk/index.php/shop/ro...ack-detail

"Ease your worries, Clear-up your woes,
Go into your garage & put stuff into rows."
Post #335285 2nd Jun 2014 7:43pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
I have the Richmond Shot Blasting version on my 90 as Bob. Mine took a long time to arrive and also had minor damage on arrival (a couple of chips and dings that had to be painted prior to fitting). The quality is really pretty good, nice and chunky and the welding is neat. Fit was also pretty good. The only thing I'm disappointed with is the quality of the powder coating, which on mine is really pretty poor. I'm going to have to remove them this summer and get them stripped and painted. They have been on for about a year, maybe a bit longer, and have significant surface rust around all the welds and are bubbling through in places on the flat faces now as well. That said, they are by far the cheapest of options I looked at. I would by again, but just in bare steel and get them galved and coated / painted myself. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #335296 2nd Jun 2014 8:02pm
airpusher

Tootall, it's always good to have more option. Sadly they are well out of my price range but look very nice, plus some other nice bling on the website. Bookmarked it for other items Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Green Machine, thanks for the info. I have a good powder coated I've used near me but I don't think I'd have the time to get them done. I really want to get them deliver whilst I'm away so I can get the fitted as soon as I get back ready for some use!!! I'm not sure the wife would appreciate me asking her to drop them off at the powder coasters lol Rolling Eyes

Cheers Thumbs Up 2006 Defender Double Cab- Zambezi Silver
Post #335300 2nd Jun 2014 8:12pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Green Machine wrote:
I have the Richmond Shot Blasting version on my 90 as Bob. Mine took a long time to arrive and also had minor damage on arrival (a couple of chips and dings that had to be painted prior to fitting). The quality is really pretty good, nice and chunky and the welding is neat. Fit was also pretty good. The only thing I'm disappointed with is the quality of the powder coating, which on mine is really pretty poor. I'm going to have to remove them this summer and get them stripped and painted. They have been on for about a year, maybe a bit longer, and have significant surface rust around all the welds and are bubbling through in places on the flat faces now as well. That said, they are by far the cheapest of options I looked at. I would by again, but just in bare steel and get them galved and coated / painted myself.

ive got some as well. Paid £90 for them originally about 2.5 years ago. By far the cheapest around and have stood up to some very serious abuse.

Echo the comments on the powder coat as last weekend i started sanding it off for repainting in normal paint. If i had to buy again i'd still buy from richmond but would insist on hot dip galv then powder coat finish which is what a mate of mine did (£20 more)
Post #335425 3rd Jun 2014 1:29pm
TooTall

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
http://www.roc-ard.co.uk/index.php/shop/ro...ard-detail

"Ease your worries, Clear-up your woes,
Go into your garage & put stuff into rows."
Post #335431 3rd Jun 2014 1:39pm
fusionfanatic

United Kingdom 
mikeh501 wrote:
Green Machine wrote:
I have the Richmond Shot Blasting version on my 90 as Bob. Mine took a long time to arrive and also had minor damage on arrival (a couple of chips and dings that had to be painted prior to fitting). The quality is really pretty good, nice and chunky and the welding is neat. Fit was also pretty good. The only thing I'm disappointed with is the quality of the powder coating, which on mine is really pretty poor. I'm going to have to remove them this summer and get them stripped and painted. They have been on for about a year, maybe a bit longer, and have significant surface rust around all the welds and are bubbling through in places on the flat faces now as well. That said, they are by far the cheapest of options I looked at. I would by again, but just in bare steel and get them galved and coated / painted myself.

ive got some as well. Paid £90 for them originally about 2.5 years ago. By far the cheapest around and have stood up to some very serious abuse.

Echo the comments on the powder coat as last weekend i started sanding it off for repainting in normal paint. If i had to buy again i'd still buy from richmond but would insist on hot dip galv then powder coat finish which is what a mate of mine did (£20 more)

Well I am going to throw this into the ring, ROCARD have designed and made some fabricated rock sliders, Vector and Dutch, The Dutch hasn't made it to production yet but an image is attached. What do you think? There is a plan to have them coated in Line-x truck bed liner. would be guaranteed never to penetrate to the metal.
Post #335945 5th Jun 2014 1:34pm
airpusher

FusionFanatic,

Thanks, I also emailed Roc-ard. He was very quick with a good response.

He can make standard rock sliders for my 110 at around £145, which considering the quality is a good price but he doesn't do them with tree sliders too.

They are part of the design of the Vector and Dutch style he makes.

I do like the Dutch style but sadly way out of my availability.

Click image to enlarge

I'll have to reply and see what he can do.

Not gear about the line x though.

Cheers. 2006 Defender Double Cab- Zambezi Silver
Post #335958 5th Jun 2014 3:07pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
fusionfanatic wrote:
mikeh501 wrote:
Green Machine wrote:

Well I am going to throw this into the ring, ROCARD have designed and made some fabricated rock sliders, Vector and Dutch, The Dutch hasn't made it to production yet but an image is attached. What do you think? There is a plan to have them coated in Line-x truck bed liner. would be guaranteed never to penetrate to the metal.

I think the vector ones look a bit form over function for me. If thats the dutch in the above post then i cant quite tell what it looks like from the photo.

It would be interesting if line-x stood up better than powder coat, but i believe the only true protection would be galv first, then a choice of top coat. Line-x could well just end up being a really expensive damaged top coat, which is impossible to fix once damaged. To be fair, mine at £90 a pair could be treated as almost consumable items every 3-4 years!, but id guess if i got galv'd and powder coat ones they would last much longer. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with mine, just some surface rust and powder coat has peeled.

im assuming you are associated with rocard?
Post #335960 5th Jun 2014 3:24pm
epictrail

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
I have the bars from Richmond and they arrived within 2 weeks of ordering. I actually bought mine not powdercoated as i have a friend who is a marine powder coater and he did them for me. The bars are well made and cheap. Thumbs Up
Post #335961 5th Jun 2014 3:28pm
fusionfanatic

United Kingdom 
http://www.aptfabrications.com.au/componen...2?Itemid=1

what about these from the Australia, under the aluminium tread plate is a round bar, no bends on the ends like most of the uk ones.

I know its not practical to get them just wondering what people think of the design
Post #335962 5th Jun 2014 3:42pm
airpusher

Mikeh501: I've no link with the company, they just been very good at communicating and willing to see if they can help. Thanks for the info on the Richmond rock sliders too

Epictrail: thanks, that's good to know. They are still top of the list with price and build. Just the powder coasting to sort.

Thanks for the responses.

Thumbs Up 2006 Defender Double Cab- Zambezi Silver
Post #335976 5th Jun 2014 5:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1