↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Just ordered a NK engine blanket - do they make a difference
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
pob1968

Just ordered a NK engine blanket - do they make a difference
Just ordered a Noise Killer acoustic engine blanket to quieten down the noise a bit, do they make a big difference? I have a 110 Hardtop so it's not got a lot of creature comforts, no carpet etc, I did a bit of reading and a lot of the noise seems to be from the engine so hoping this makes a difference. 110 Hardtop
Post #334973 1st Jun 2014 1:55pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
I think that noise proofing is a multi later approach,

No single piece seems to do a lot. It's about combinations of noise deadening mats, foam, carpets, engine blankets, vibration damping, rubber floor mats etc as a part of a whole,

It would seem that the total is greater than the sum of the parts. Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #334977 1st Jun 2014 2:13pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Chris killer (csk) on here knows his stuff.. Cheers, David
Post #334979 1st Jun 2014 2:13pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
My first concern would be that such a noise killer engine blanket would increase engine running temp, or at least will put pressure on the cooling system to work harder to do the same as without such an engine blanket.
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #334980 1st Jun 2014 2:22pm
adamatdraycott

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Another problem with blankets that are taped to the underside of the bonnet is the potential for trapped water or condensation.
Post #334983 1st Jun 2014 2:53pm
Macpaul

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Loire Blue
Sorry to tell you that the Noise Killer blanket that sits on top of the engine doesn't make a great deal of difference.

Absolutely no problem with engine cooling though - I've had one for 18 months or so now.

As above, effective sound deadening needs many elements.

The main ones I found helped were under the floor-mats and over the seat-boxes as well as Noise Killer egg-crate self adhesive foam insulation on the roof of my hardtop.

Then the sides of the wagon (NK), sides and tops of the wheel boxes, bulkhead behind the seats, floor of the loadspace.......... 2003 Td5 110 Hardtop
Now a 2013 110 USW too.
Post #335009 1st Jun 2014 4:53pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
I have one on my tdi.
1. It does help but its not huge difference
2. Engine doesn't run any hotter! (Have accurate engine watchdog sensors)
3. I don't have mine fastened! It's so heavy it ain't really going anywhere!
4. Nice and comfy when crawling over engine!

As mentioned above its part of the layered approach to sound deadening. My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #335011 1st Jun 2014 5:01pm
mrd1990

Wales 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Does anyone have the "Land Rover Front Kit" from nkgroup? I'm interested in finding out how well that works
Post #335065 1st Jun 2014 7:45pm
pob1968

I appreciate its best done as a combined job but surely the engine blanket on its own must make some improvement? 110 Hardtop
Post #335067 1st Jun 2014 7:56pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
^ well still a lot of sound will come backwards through the bulkhead and through windows/floors etc. As said before, you really need to get everywhere and use layers

kind of like how half closing a door doesn't make much difference when theres hoovering going on outside the door, its kind of all or nothing Cheers, David
Post #335073 1st Jun 2014 8:09pm
Macpaul

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Loire Blue
pob1968 wrote:
I appreciate its best done as a combined job but surely the engine blanket on its own must make some improvement?

Well you've got a Puma by the look of it and mine's a Td5 but I really struggle to tell the difference between with and without.

David's analogy about the half-open door is a good one.

The more you add in the right place, the more the door closes. 2003 Td5 110 Hardtop
Now a 2013 110 USW too.
Post #335107 1st Jun 2014 9:06pm
pob1968

Ok looks like I have to get a bit more involved then. I have done the lids of the boxes under the seats and the roof at the back. I will do a bit more Smile 110 Hardtop
Post #335163 2nd Jun 2014 7:19am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
pob1968 wrote:
I appreciate its best done as a combined job but surely the engine blanket on its own must make some improvement?

I started off with a rear NK kit because of the noise on wet roads from the spray under the rear wheelarches. That was a big improvement (i.e. it did the job I wanted it for).

However the car was still noisy, so I bought the front NK kit as well. That also had some benefits, but the Defender was still noisier than I would want.

Now also added quite a bit of Dynamat to supplement the NK kit.

It's now acceptable - I can just about have a (hands free) phone conversation at 60 mph Smile Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #335164 2nd Jun 2014 7:27am
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Funny how opinions on something similar can be poles apart but my experience of the engine blanket is the opposite to macpaul's !

I find the noisiest part of the Defender by far is the engine. The bulkhead is such an old fashioned design that its never going to seal you fully from the engine compartment whatever you stick on it (big hole for the pedal box, big hole for the heater interior intake etc). I recently bought a Seat Mii which is ridiculously quiet and yet it has Censored all sound insulation on the bulkhead. I also drove the Puma for a while with most of the lower bulkhead insulation and floor carpet/matting removed as it was sopping wet from a leak and frankly there was no difference in noise.

But the engine blanket - thats a different story. Its been on for almost three years. I started a thread on it here (do a search - there's been a few !) because I was so impressed and after nearly two years I took it off for a couple of weeks to see if it was just me. I found that at low speed it was a bit noisier without the blanket but from 50 mph onwards the difference was very noticeable. It was a pain at motorway speeds because I was so used to the blanket so back on it went. IMHO its the quickest and most effective sound reducing measure. You can spend hours and ££s on reducing noise by tiny increments on other parts of the vehicle ( although I found butyl flashing on the rear wheel arches was good) but the engine blanket for me was the biggest bang for my buck
Post #335529 3rd Jun 2014 9:21pm
pob1968

Update, NK engine blanket is on.

Well I think it makes a difference too, it is definitely quieter. I have the engine blanket, a bit of 6mm closed cell foam on the roof and some TGE side panels in the back and the blanket has muffled a bit of the clackety clack and clanking engine noises Smile I agree that you need to do lots of things to make big changes but for a hundred quid the blanket is worth it. 110 Hardtop
Post #335597 4th Jun 2014 7:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>