Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear Passenger 1/4 Window, Defender 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Freddie

South Africa 2004 Defender 110 Td5 USW Bonatti Grey
Rear Passenger 1/4 Window, Defender 110
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the site and was wondering if someone could help me Very Happy ..

A couple months ago some ass broke the rear passenger 1/4 window (I.e. the one that dosnt wind down) on my defender, in an effort to steal a jacket that I had on the back seat.
I have smash and grab film on the windows and an 'africa spec' horn. So, he got away with nothing.

At the time i didn't think it was such a big deal, more of a nuisance. However, trying to find a replacement window in South Africa, for under £200 has been a serious undertaking.
All in and it would have been cheaper to have given him the jacket..

Anyway, I am pretty 'hands on' with my vehicle and amongst fitting new disk brakes, I decided to attempt to fit the window myself.. And, well, I'm stuck..

I have called a mechanic friend and he said that I had to 'feed it in from the bottom of the door'.. I have stripped the door down completely and I am Censored if i can get it to fit without breaking..

Does anyone know how best I go about fitting it, do I have to remove the main window in order to do so?

Any Advise would be greatly appreciated! Bow down

Many Thanks!

Click image to enlarge
Post #332548 21st May 2014 4:34pm
jabber

United States 1986 Defender 110 Other SW Oslo Blue
Have you asked a glass shop to cut you something that would fit that, from a piece of auto glass (the last part is important)? It's just a flat piece. Most glass shops have flat auto glass available cheap.

I know in the US most defender owners do that with their front windscreens when they are beyond repair.
Post #332560 21st May 2014 5:06pm
Freddie

Hi Jabber,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have a genuine replacement window that was salvaged off another defender (the most cost effective solution I found here). I also have a new window surround from LR.

I had to replace my windscreen a while back - even that was easier to fit :p

Anyway..
Post #332567 21st May 2014 5:39pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
As I haven't done this I'm guessing you wind the main window down pull the top seal out and look for a bolt/screw in the top of the frame to remove the bar that separates the two windows. There may also be one at the the bottom of the bar under the seal too. Pull the bar across in the main window opening and slide your new window into the space BUT.... CHECK THE SEAL WHERE THE WINDOW WAS SMASHED for any small pieces of glass, because if you tighten the new peice of glass onto a small leftover shard it will shatter. Then bolt everything back together.
Post #332573 21st May 2014 6:07pm
Romadog

Yes confirming the above.
Just go slowly and take your time.
Post #332588 21st May 2014 7:14pm
Freddie

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions.
From what i have done so far the 'velvet' surround is rather delicate. Removing it from the main window would more than likely result in it needing to be replaced.
As for the dividing bar. It runs right the way into the door itself, forming the support for when the window is wound down completely. it looks to me like, even if you did get it lose, one would have to remove the entire 'big' window to get it out..
Seems to me like an awful lot of trouble for something so mundane.

I am happy to do all of these things but would really love to know if this is how someone has replaced their 1/4 window in the past.
Post #332776 22nd May 2014 2:52pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I haven't done this myself on a Defender, and the process for this piece of glass surprisingly is not in the workshop manual, but I believe that you need to do the following.

1) Remove the door card and drip film

2) Remove the regulator mechanism (two bolts securing regulator to glass, four bolts holding regulator to door).

3) Remove the door reinforcing plate

4) Remove the door check strap torsion bar and plate (two nuts) and remove the check strap

5) Remove the inner and outer waist seals (from the bottom of the main windo aperture)

6) Remove the screw at the bottom of each glass channel, so that the lower end of the glass channel is free.

7) Remove the lifting pane of glass by lowering down the channels at the same time as pulling the bottom towards you. Lift out the glass and put to one side.

Cool I think that it should then be possible to remove the fixed pane downwards by displacing the intermediate channel towards the hinge side of the door.

Good luck, and if you do find how to do it please post here for future reference.

Incidentally and somewhat off-topic, a friend of mine recently was locked out of his Disco 2 by the dog he'd left inside, with the keys in the 'ignition'. Thinking that the smallest pane of glass would be the cheapest to replace, he broke the small pane in the rear door to get back in. On the D2 this is the most expensive pane of glass in the doors, significantly more expensive than any of the much larger moving panes. Explain that if you can.

In the end I bought a 2nd hand pane and fitted it. I think it is easier on a Disco2 than a Defender, though.
Post #332780 22nd May 2014 3:37pm
Freddie

Alrighty, well today I managed to get the damn thing fit. Very Happy

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.
For future reference, should anyone need to replace this window, here's how.

You will need the following:
* Small flat head screwdriver
* Short handled Philips screwdriver
* 7mm Wrench
* 10mm Wrench or socket
* Needle nose pliers
* Small chisel
* Tube of Automotive Silicone
* Roll of Duct Tape

The Procedure (I am assuming that the 1/4 glass is already removed):

1. Remove Door Handles.
2. Gently pry out the plastic 'poppers' that secure the outer door trim in place.
3. Remove the plastic ‘dust cover’ from the door.
4. You will now be looking at the inner workings of the door.
5. Stick a strip of tape to the main window and window surround. This is to stop it from crashing down and breaking when the winder mechanism is removed.
6. Remove the bolts that hold the inner metal panel in place. This supports the lock and window mechanisms. DO NOT pull this panel away from the door yet.
7. Disconnect the 'arms' that lead from the locking mechanism to the various components fixed to the door itself.
8. Remove the 4 bolts that hold the window winder in place. Once removed, there is a cross strut on the door itself to rest this on.
9. This metal panel can now be set aside. My vehicle has central locking, if yours does too, I would recommend putting the panel on the rear foot-well or seat as to not damage the cables.
10. On the furthest edge of the door, from the vehicle, you will see two small nuts. These hold the 'stage' to which the ¼ piece of glass sits. They will need to be removed.
11. My vehicle had a ton of putty fixed to the bottom of this 'stage'. You may need to cut and pull this out in order to remove it completely.
12. On the ‘main window’ you should see that the black velvet window ‘gutters’ go right down into the doorframe. At the bottom of these, you will find two small screws. These screws will need to be removed.
13. Once removed, take off the tape and pull the window as far down as possible. It should rest of the bottom of the doorframe.
14. Now that the window is out of the way. Find the two small screws that hold the top, horizontal piece of window gutter in place. One is about an inch from the black window divider and the other an inch from the doorframe closest to the car.
15. Remove these screws and the piece of guttering.
16. You should now be able to pull down the window divider. Unfortunately it cannot be completely removed without taking the main window out.
17. I was able to get it free just enough to be able to slide the fresh piece of ¼ glass down into place.
18. That’s it.. Work your way back up this list to put the whole thing back together.
19. When it comes to refitting the ‘stage’ I would however recommend squeezing some silicone down between the window gutter and doorframe. Should help keep the water out..
20. Good Luck! Thumbs Up
Post #333075 23rd May 2014 6:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1