Home > Technical > NO Breaks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
freds

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
NO Breaks
Hello all,

I'm in the bush on my girlfriends family game farm and yesterday on one of the drives we had a complete break failure in one of the V8 defender game vehicles.. There aren't any leaks and the fluid reservoir is full. When I put my foot on the break peddle there is nothing there for most of the travel and then close to the end there is a small amount of compression. So it needs to be bled, I drive a TD5 and left my haynes manual at home.

Please can someone guide me through what needs to be done. It does seem to be a little different to my landy and I'm a little weary to fiddle around trying to work it out.

Thanks Smile
Post #27682 22nd Mar 2010 8:18am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Pinched Off Internet!
Direct cut and paste jobby after Googling 'Brake Bleed Procedure' - Your post totally captivated me by the opening 7 words, thereafter it went rapidly downhill....

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

You will need the following tools:

· Box-end wrench suitable for your car's bleeder screws. An offset head design usually works best.
· Extra brake fluid (about 1 pint if you are just bleeding, about 3 if you are completely replacing).
· 12-inch long section of clear plastic tubing, ID sized to fit snugly over your car's bleeder screws.
· Disposable bottle for waste fluid.
· One can of brake cleaner.
· One assistant (to pump the brake pedal).
Vehicle Preparation and Support
1. Loosen the lug nuts of the road wheels and place the entire vehicle on jackstands. Be sure that the car is firmly supported before going ANY further with this procedure!

2. Remove all road wheels.

3. Install one lug nut backward at each corner and tighten the nut against the rotor surface. Note that this step is to limit caliper flex that may distort pedal feel.

4. Open the hood and check the level of the brake fluid reservoir. Add fluid as necessary to ensure that the level is at the MAX marking of the reservoir. Do not let the reservoir become empty at any time during the bleeding process!

Bleeding Process
1. Begin at the corner furthest from the driver and proceed in order toward the driver. (Right rear, left rear, right front, left front.) While the actual sequence is not critical to the bleed performance it is easy to remember the sequence as the farthest to the closest. This will also allow the system to be bled in such a way as to minimize the amount of potential cross-contamination between the new and old fluid.

2. Locate the bleeder screw at the rear of the caliper body (or drum brake wheel cylinder.) Remove the rubber cap from the bleeder screw – and don't lose it!

3. Place the box-end wrench over the bleeder screw. An offset wrench works best – since it allows the most room for movement.

4. Place one end of the clear plastic hose over the nipple of the bleeder screw.

5. Place the other end of the hose into the disposable bottle.

6. Place the bottle for waste fluid on top of the caliper body or drum assembly. Hold the bottle with one hand and grasp the wrench with the other hand.

7. Instruct the assistant to "apply." The assistant should pump the brake pedal three times, hold the pedal down firmly, and respond with "applied." Instruct the assistant not to release the brakes until told to do so.

8. Loosen the bleeder screw with a brief ¼ turn to release fluid into the waste line. The screw only needs to be open for one second or less. (The brake pedal will "fall" to the floor as the bleeder screw is opened. Instruct the assistant in advance not to release the brakes until instructed to do so.)

9. Close the bleeder screw by tightening it gently. Note that one does not need to pull on the wrench with ridiculous force. Usually just a quick tug will do.

10. Instruct the assistant to "release" the brakes. Note: do NOT release the brake pedal while the bleeder screw is open, as this will suck air back into the system!

11. The assistant should respond with "released."

12. Inspect the fluid within the waste line for air bubbles.

13. Continue the bleeding process (steps 11 through 16) until air bubbles are no longer present. Be sure to check the brake fluid level in the reservoir after bleeding each wheel! Add fluid as necessary to keep the level at the MAX marking. (Typically, one repeats this process 5-10 times per wheel when doing a ‘standard' bleed.)

14. Move systematically toward the driver – right rear, left rear, right front, left front - repeating the bleeding process at each corner. Be sure to keep a watchful eye on the brake fluid reservior! Keep it full!

15. When all four corners have been bled, spray the bleeder screw (and any other parts that were moistened with spilled or dripped brake fluid) with brake cleaner and wipe dry with a clean rag. (Leaving the area clean and dry will make it easier to spot leaks through visual inspection later!) Try to avoid spraying the brake cleaner DIRECTLY on any parts made of rubber or plastic, as the cleaner can make these parts brittle after repeated exposure.

16. Test the brake pedal for a firm feel. (Bleeding the brakes will not necessarily cure a "soft" or "mushy" pedal – since pad taper and compliance elsewhere within the system can contribute to a soft pedal. But the pedal should not be any worse than it was prior to the bleeding procedure!)

17. Be sure to inspect the bleeder screws and other fittings for signs of leakage. Correct as necessary.

18. Properly dispose of the used waste fluid as you would dispose of used motor oil. Important: used brake fluid should NEVER be poured back into the master cylinder reservoir!
Vehicle Wrap-Up and Road Test
1. Re-install all four road wheels.

2. Raise the entire vehicle and remove jackstands. Torque the lug nuts to the manufacturer's recommended limit. Re-install any hubcaps or wheel covers.

3. With the vehicle on level ground and with the car NOT running, apply and release the brake pedal several times until all clearances are taken up in the system. During this time, the brake pedal feel may improve slightly, but the brake pedal should be at least as firm as it was prior to the bleeding process.

4. Road test the vehicle to confirm proper function of the brakes. USE CAUTION THE FIRST TIME YOU DRIVE YOUR CAR AFTER MODIFICATION TO ENSURE THE PROPER FUNCTION OF ALL VEHICLE SYSTEMS! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #27684 22nd Mar 2010 8:39am
freds

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Thanks allot!

I did try google.. But I'm stuck out in the middle of know where with only my blackberry and couldn't find anything on google that helped..

Trust good old defender 2 to come through! Thank you K9F..
Post #27687 22nd Mar 2010 9:37am
K9F

Glad to be of service! Thumbs Up Good deed done I may go search out my mischievious head later!

Happy Bleeding! Let us know how you get on and if you need owt else! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #27688 22nd Mar 2010 9:41am
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I too was captivated by the opening sentence Rolling with laughter One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #27696 22nd Mar 2010 11:22am
Cibit

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Ok I will ask what your both thinking.

Has she got a sister Rolling with laughter 59 2.4 110 XS Utility
55 TD5 110 CSW Special Vehicle
Post #27717 22nd Mar 2010 3:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

Cibit wrote:
Ok I will ask what your both thinking.

Has she got a sister Rolling with laughter

No imagination needed, let's get back to those original opening 10 words and rearrange 'em a little:

"I'm in my girlfriend's bush on the family game farm"......

Nuff said... Feel free to crack one off! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #27726 22nd Mar 2010 4:15pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Re: NO Breaks
freds wrote:
Hello all,

I'm in the bush on my girlfriend yesterday . close to the end there is a small amount of compression. I drive a TD5 and left my manual at home.

Please can someone guide me through what needs to be done. I'm a little weary to fiddle around trying to work it out.

Thanks Smile

K9 this is how it reads with a few words took out Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #27730 22nd Mar 2010 5:06pm
K9F

Fekete, along the same path......

I'm in the bush my girlfriends on one of the vehicles.. There aren't any leaks and the fluid is nothing there. Close to the end..... please can someone guide me through what needs to be done I'm a little weary to fiddle around trying to work it out.

Rolling with laughter Nearly let a bit of wee go through laughing! Rolling with laughter

Normally I hate Mondays but this one ain't been too bad! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #27731 22nd Mar 2010 5:25pm
K9F

Posted it bl00dy twice... numpty I am!

Thumbs Up Embarassed Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #27732 22nd Mar 2010 5:25pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Too Funny Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #27733 22nd Mar 2010 5:30pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
IF you pump the pedal several times, do you get brakes then?

Could be one or 2 very loose wheel bearings, which push the pads back into the calipers, and thus leave you with no brakes (until the pads centralise the discs again, but as soon as you move off, they push the pads back out again)
Post #27775 22nd Mar 2010 10:40pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Over here we have a town -well village- called Muff. They have a festival every year during which one girl gets crowned with the title, "Queen of Muff" 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #27826 23rd Mar 2010 2:32pm
K9F

spudfan wrote:
Over here we have a town -well village- called Muff. They have a festival every year during which one girl gets crowned with the title, "Queen of Muff"

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

....please, please tell me they don't have a diving team as well!....

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #27830 23rd Mar 2010 2:52pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
The barbers shop is the best place....Get shaved in Muff... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post #27838 23rd Mar 2010 3:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>