Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Sound Proofing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Sound Proofing
Time to start looking at soundproofing.

Could anyone help with comments good or bad with the various products that are out there.

Sponsors/Suppliers feel free to jump in and promote your wares Thumbs Up
Post #328984 7th May 2014 2:35pm
jimbob7

1.5mm rubber sheet, 10mm+ closed cell foam,high temp contact adhesive( enclosed space Cool Thumbs Up ) , latex backed felt under the bonnet,worked fer me! Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #329009 7th May 2014 3:22pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Noise Killer for Land Rovers

http://www.nkgroup.co.uk/product-category/vehicles/land-rovers/

Works, easy to fit because all the parts are tailored for a Land Rover Defender
Post #329023 7th May 2014 3:38pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
right ive researched this quite a bit.
layer 1 silent coat/dynamat type product. DOES NOT need 100% coverage!!!! it is not a sound barrier or absorber, but will stop vibration noises and dampen tinny sounds.
2. closed cell foam. again has no sound absorbing or deadening, it just acts a a de-oupler for no3
3. mass loaded vinyl this is the sound blocker!!!cover 100% floor and everywhere half way up car (up to windows)
4. tinsulate!!!! sound absorber, cover everywhere else you can! especially in the roof!

http://www.carinsulation.co.uk/product/epd..._deadening
http://www.deadening.co.uk/products/dodo-pro-barrier-mlv
http://www.carinsulation.co.uk/product/adh...insulation
Thumbs Up My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #329045 7th May 2014 4:17pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Easiest way is to buy Wright off road kit. Quality kit. Fit and forget. Dynamat other areas, and keep away from the noise killer kits because they don't stick very well and hold massive amounts of water.

And Si at MPS is the cheapest for Dynamat and Wright off road kit buy direct from Drew Wright, not exmoor or anyone else.

Andy
Post #329092 7th May 2014 6:38pm
johnszs

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Alveston Red
Andrew i am in the middle of doing mine t the moment, if you can get to leominster industrial estate during the day you can come and have alook at mine.

I used dynamat with dynaliner on top with std carpet and parts with no carpet i have trimmed mysekf.

I got the dynamat from gary @ alive ge did me a deal on 4 boxs and the dynaliner 7 rolls from si @ mps
and the carpet from cpc 2004 TD5 Defender 90 xs station wagon
Post #329096 7th May 2014 7:00pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
I used Noisekiller.
then i took it out and used Dynamat all over with Dynaliner in roof and Hoodliner over Dynamat under bonnet.

My DB reader made it the same DB reading as a FL at 40, 60 and 75. BM52
Post #329123 7th May 2014 9:08pm
Macpaul

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Loire Blue
Noisekiller eggcrate adhesive roof insulation is effective if you have a hardtop and their adhesive 'wall lining' too, ditto.

However, the underbonnet kit is thin and falls off and as said above, the rest of the interior foam kit holds water. Poorly cut too and makes matting/carpet hard to put back down properly.

Dynamat with or without an extra foam layer gets my vote. 2003 Td5 110 Hardtop
Now a 2013 110 USW too.
Post #329151 7th May 2014 10:14pm
hamtheman

Ireland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Java Black
I've used a mixture of Noisekiller and Dynamat and a adhesive foam which I can't remember the exact website.

I've covered pretty much all of the interior apart from behind the dash. What I've found is;

Noisekiller is a great starter, and comes pre cut - it it soaks up water (you'll have to seal it before putting it in) and it's kind of think.

Dynamat, although not sound proof it does stop vibrations and does help quieten the cab - it is much thinner so doesn't use up much space, it does feel nicer to work with.

I am thinking of taking out the Noise Killer and replacing it with Dynamat, Dynaliner and Hoodliner - although Dynamat family is more expensive than Noise Killer.

You can see my various sound proofing installs on my blog,

Best of luck with doing it!! http://mylandy90.blogspot.ie/
Post #329158 7th May 2014 10:44pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Thanks for the info this is very useful Thumbs Up

I have been looking at this product and other Arma Sound options.

http://www.armacell.co.uk/WWW/armacell/INE...370048507E

Some of the products from Armacell are in fact water proof Shocked perhaps the way forward?
Post #329165 7th May 2014 11:12pm
jav-uk

England 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
Hi Andrew, intresting topic, I have also been researching sound proofing for my 110 and have concerns about water retention from the acoustic foams and carpet/underlay solutions you can purchase.
So far i have fitted some noise killer pads to the hood/footwells/floors and then added extra floor mats, this has helped a little. I think most of the noise that I want to kill is coming through the bulkhead and gearbox cowl via the engine and exhaust. My 110 has DPF and I think this may have added to the cabin noise?????
Anyone know of a barrier material that won't retain moisture or can recommend a bulkhead deadening system. Paul

Pondering a New 90 Commercial
2020 Evoque
* 2014 110 SW JE Stage 2.
*2010 110 Utility. JE Stage 2.
*2007 110 SW
*2003 90 JE Stage 2.
*2000 90 SW

If its not leaking it ain't full.
Post #329210 8th May 2014 9:09am
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
Applying Dynamat extreme to the whole vehicle will deaden any vibrations and also stop the tinny sounds of a defender. Over the top of this applying the Dynaliner will act as a insulating product so then your vehicle is sound proofed and well insulated. Dynaliner is great due to its closed cell properties so it will not hold water. Then there is Hoodliner which is applied to the bonnet to deflect engine heat. Thumbs Up I have tried other products and still will only use Dynamat Thumbs Up Hope that helps.

Loads of photos of the process in customers vehicle show here ----> http://www.csklandrovers.co.uk/sound-proofing/

This 110 is currently in for full strip down and interior leather retrim. Whilst apart the carpet and any other trim will be removed and i will be applying the Dynamat extreme throughout and even behind the dash/bulkhead.

Loads of photos of the process in customers vehicle show here ----> http://www.csklandrovers.co.uk/sound-proofing/ CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #329226 8th May 2014 10:16am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hamtheman

Ireland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Java Black
Quote:
Applying Dynamat extreme to the whole vehicle will deaden any vibrations and also stop the tinny sounds of a defender. Over the top of this applying the Dynaliner will act as a insulating product so then your vehicle is sound proofed and well insulated. Dynaliner is great due to its closed cell properties so it will not hold water. Then there is Hoodliner which is applied to the bonnet to deflect engine heat. Thumbs Up I have tried other products and still will only use Dynamat Thumbs Up Hope that helps.

Loads of photos of the process in customers vehicle show here ----> http://www.csklandrovers.co.uk/sound-proofing/

This 110 is currently in for full strip down and interior leather retrim. Whilst apart the carpet and any other trim will be removed and i will be applying the Dynamat extreme throughout and even behind the dash/bulkhead.

Custom Builds, Interior / Exterior Enhancements, Leather Trim, Rust Prevention Treatments, Mechanical / Service Work, Sales, Performance Remaps, Full Soundproofing /Insulation & Much More. For more info please visit
www.csklandrovers.co.uk www.facebook.com/csklr chris@csklandrovers.co.uk

Chris,

The link is great - loads of research photos.

How big a job is it, to take out the dash to apply Dynamat to the bulkhead - would it be a weekend job? Is it really worth doing it, if I've insulated/proofed the rest of the truck? http://mylandy90.blogspot.ie/
Post #329230 8th May 2014 10:39am
Jambo

United Kingdom 
May I ask where the best place to get dyanmat from ?

Cheers James
Post #329235 8th May 2014 11:13am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Si @ MPS is the cheapest when you include postage. And he's a top bloke. Tell him your from defender 2 and he will look after you.

Andy.
Post #329263 8th May 2014 1:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>