↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Blind Spot Windows - Alternative Options & Thoughts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Vizsla

England 
Blind Spot Windows - Alternative Options & Thoughts
I have been thinking about adding windows to the rear of the 90HT and there are obviously a number of options, with Landyglass and Masai being the two front runners.

I like the look of the Landyglass panoramic panels BUT there are a few things I need to consider before spending the amount involved, particularly when taking into consideration our use of the vehicle.

The truck is used primarily for transporting our two dogs to walks and will be used for the occasional camping trip. There are no rear seats and I wont be fitting any. I therefore don't really need windows but would like to have the ability to see out when manoeuvring (and before anybody says it, yes I can drive a van Rolling with laughter ) - it's simply helpful to have vision when filtering into fast moving traffic at a junction or the junction doesn't allow me to place the truck at 90deg for good vision.

The other factor to consider is that I have the interior currently trimmed with carpeted side panels and don't want to lose the convenience of having storage nets on the rear of the panels, the sound deadening benefit of them or the positioning of the worklight switches I have placed there (hopefully in photos below). They make a utility much less utilitarian Very Happy

If I fit windows of some type I would therefore like to cut out an aperture in the internal panel corresponding to the window to give me vision out of the 'front half' and keep the back half for netting etc. Hope that makes sense.

So, If I went with a full width window (OE size window frame only or Landyglass style) I would probably therefore not get the full benefit considering the cost.

The other alternative I have seen is Masai Blindspot windows

http://www.masaiwindows.com/store-2/#!/~/c...ort=normal

Has anyone had these fitted? What do they look like in reality and what is the quality like?

It does look like a possible solution as I would only have to cut an aperture in half of the van side and a corresponding aperture in the internal trim panel.

I'm just a bit concerned it might look odd (small glass piece stuck on the side) compared to the full length panel of the Landyglass solution.

Any view or comments very welcome before I make a potential mistake......

Click image to enlarge

Post #325288 22nd Apr 2014 1:36pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
The horsebox side windows look a viable option for you from the Masai site? Cheap option too at a fraction of the blindspot windows if all you want is a little vision out the side.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #325297 22nd Apr 2014 2:16pm
pjb

Personally I would go either for standard landy window or a full length panel as although expensive when you come to sell will someone want sides with small windows when if you put full windows in you can always if tinted part cover inside with your interior panels the exact size you leave inside is then up to you - you can go as big or as small as you like

I've just bought / buying a pair of side panels & windows as my hardtop although superb I do miss not being able to see out the side Whistle 2020 P300 HSE
Post #325317 22nd Apr 2014 4:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Personally If I went back to a 90 I'd seriously be looking at horsebox windows. Especially opening ones with having dogs, I have external grills on my 110 so I can leave the windows open and know the dogs and motor are safe when parked. Putting smaller windows in would be beneficial for the blind spot just behind your shoulder and some of them look a lot more classy than those triangular ones sold in the comics.
Post #325354 22nd Apr 2014 5:59pm
Leenorthants

United Kingdom 
R
Try here http://www.transportwindows.co.uk/index.ph...roductid=4 helluva lot cheaper than Masai!
Post #325483 22nd Apr 2014 9:54pm
Nobby

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
PM sent. _______________________________
Puma Defender 90
Post #325506 22nd Apr 2014 10:42pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Lots of options here: http://www.masai-land-rover.com
As Mal suggested.
Thumbs Up
Post #325515 22nd Apr 2014 11:18pm
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
There are the more common triangular blindspot windows but personally I don't link the look. With the Masai Blindsport windows you could couple them with the mud hardtop trims to create a neat install. www.td5.org
Post #325530 23rd Apr 2014 7:21am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
I think it's a shame to put non factory windows in a defender. Landyglass I like as it keeps the hardtop shape but the triangular/blind spot/horse box windows just look odd IMO.

If it were me I'd put in the factory windows and the genuine interior trim Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #325546 23rd Apr 2014 9:19am
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
I think Davids right, Its like when you look at a lot of series land rovers on ebay which are let down by the wrong windows.
Personally I think as you've got such a lovely looking defender (I am Biased Laughing )you should either live with it and just check the mirrors carefully or go for genuine full sized windows , maybe a heavy tint to avoid nosey folk I like the idea that you could still put your trim panels a bit cut down on top and would seem an ideal solution. Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #325614 23rd Apr 2014 3:41pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I think David and Tom are wrong Rolling with laughter You should alter and adapt it to suit your purposes, which is what Defenders are built for. If it becomes a problem later on then just swap the panels for new and the problem is solved. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #325617 23rd Apr 2014 4:06pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Also very true Laughing and im no person to talk about keeping it standard looking and not adapting it to suite your needs so do what you like its your car! Rolling with laughter Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #325619 23rd Apr 2014 4:22pm
Vizsla

England 
Lots of great comment and useful advice - thank you Thumbs Up

Never expected to get a consensus of opinion on what looks best and this ^^ proves it Rolling with laughter

I'm leaning now to either full glazed panel sides (e.g. Landyglass) or fixed OEM style glazed sides in a frame - but both with privacy tint.

As my 90 is fairly traditional in appearance (Its Keswick after all!) rather than a more modern look, I'm probably favouring OEM style more now. Any recommendations on where to go?
Post #325621 23rd Apr 2014 4:34pm
adafish

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi DCPU Stornoway Grey
have look on here .... a few pictures of options... http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic28271.html Putting Dreams on Drives at JLR Solihull..
Post #325630 23rd Apr 2014 4:54pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Few more pictures and opinions here: Thumbs Up

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic22833....landyglass If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #325632 23rd Apr 2014 5:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>