↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Sonic Spare Wheel Carrier compatability with NATO hitch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
GSLRO

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Chawton White
Sonic Spare Wheel Carrier compatability with NATO hitch
How compatible is the Sonic Spare Wheel Carrier with fitting a NATO hitch to the cross member.

I would prefer to remove the adjustable towbar and fit the hitch directly to the cross member but the strut for the wheel carrier uses the top two holes.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Adventure isn't paved!
Post #323306 12th Apr 2014 3:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Have you got any pictures of it in the closed position?

Do you need it to work with a fixed or rotating hitch? www.td5.org
Post #323315 12th Apr 2014 3:48pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I regularly use one but it's on a DB slider.

No reason you couldn't space it from the crossmember. I didn't look to see what you vehicle is, but remember that most recent crossmembers need a reinforcing plate anyway.
Post #323317 12th Apr 2014 3:49pm
GSLRO

In the closed position ... ...

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

I have the front spreader plate and the rear backing plate, the x member has the threads built in 2002 TD5 110

Don't think I will need the hitch to swivel as it is for recovery in the main.

If I put the strut mount on the nato hitch will this effect the angle of the ram? Sorry not technical at all Rolling Eyes

The only reason I want to take the adjustable plate off is that when I go greenlining approx. once a month it does catch on things and plough some tracks, or is it better to leave on for added protection?

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Adventure isn't paved!
Post #323357 12th Apr 2014 7:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
I.AM_a driver

Scotland 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
I'd fit a DixonBate slider, then you could have a ball on one slider plate and a NATO on a different plate:

Click image to enlarge

Or if it's just for recovery why not just fit a DixonBate Ball/Pin hitch?

If you take it off then it leaves the fuel tank very vulnerable, I'd leave something in place unless you fancy either fitting a tank guard or a very long walk.....

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Mark S
CONVOY for HEROES
www.facebook.com/convoy4heroes
www.lothian4x4response.org
------
Td5 90
Thread in 'My Defender' Forum
Post #323377 12th Apr 2014 9:07pm
me@td5.org

Your going to need to lose the gas strut whether it's on an adjustable plate or not.

The tube however should clear the top of the hitch looking at the photos.

Fitted by Russell Offroad? www.td5.org
Post #323381 12th Apr 2014 9:19pm
GSLRO

Thanks for the replies. Thumbs Up

I may try experimenting with the gas strut a various distance from the x-member and see how it performs. Its a hefty bit of kit to be left swinging freely.

Can see the advantages of the protection the plate and fittings offer may just remove the tow ball and fit the hitch and see how it goes ... easy way out.

The wheel carrier was fitted when I got it, Simon aka Russell Off Road has done other work since I got it, great bloke but usually very busy. However I do need to pay him a visit so could chew it over with him Whistle Adventure isn't paved!
Post #323450 13th Apr 2014 1:55pm
me@td5.org

Think you might struggle now I've taken a look in detail. The cross member/tub bolts are the reference fore the top of the hitch.

Looking at your picture these are above the tube. You could rotate the hitch to clear but that would be a pain.

Click image to enlarge

Simon is an old friend of mine, we used to compete for the same mountain bike race team www.td5.org
Post #323462 13th Apr 2014 3:02pm
GSLRO

Had a bit of two'ing and fro'ing and it looks like the plate will be staying for all the obvious reasons. Thanks everyone for the advice etc.

Me@, Simon passed his bike test earlier this year and is getting into trail riding, he had a bit of a tumble on a mtb last year, he's a big lad for mountain biking. Will hopefully be paying him a visit next week, all being well! Adventure isn't paved!
Post #323528 13th Apr 2014 7:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1