↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Shaggydogs Running Restoration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 15 of 19 <123 ... 141516 171819>
Print this entire topic · 
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Shaggy, don't sell it, you'll never forgive yourself. You've got a good truck there and the issues/jobs you had on the list of jobs to do in the never never have had an opportunity presented to you from the deity of your choice to sort those issues for you.

Yes it will be as good (if not better) than new once back from the bodyshop and like us all, you'll worry about where your parking it in case someone bumps it, or taking it places in case you scratch it. But remember its a land rover, and whilst you've cared for it over the time in your custody, you've enjoyed it as you should.

If you sell it to replace it with another, you'll have the same feelings of it being too precious, but with the added worry of it being an unknown entity to you. What was that noise? Did the owner have it serviced properly? Etc, etc.

Thumbs Up 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #574957 2nd Nov 2016 3:11pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Why not just use it?
Post #575004 2nd Nov 2016 8:29pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
drive it
enjoy it
keep it
Post #575021 2nd Nov 2016 9:13pm
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
Don't sell up shaggy. I was in a similar position to you, a few years ago, I was on the the look out for a change, had my old 110 for 15 years and it was starting to look tatty and seriously considered selling to fund something horrible and japenese for shooting. I had been and seen a couple of trucks and even a few nice estates of various brands and nothing floated my boat, then one day, having been and test driven a Alfa 159 sportswagen, and this time taken my old man with me. Having yet again not been happy enough to purchase, on the way home my dad asked me, why I don't just refurb the old 110, a prospect that never crossed my mind before. Anyway long story short I did just that and never looked back, and that was four years ago, any way, after waiting an age to have it painted and finally getting back and sorting the interior out so it was like new, for months I was worried to death that some plonker would come too fast round a corner and scrape my new paint or scratch it in a shopping center car park or worse and take a fancy to it and take it from me.
But as time went on I got less and less worried about it and I used it more and more, everyday in fact, and although the worry never fully goes away (and it shouldn't if you truly appreciate your vehicle, as we can see you do), you learn to live with it and realize it can be both your pride and joy and your work vehicle.
I really think you would regret it if you sell up, especially with all the work you have put in to it, and by the time it's done it'll be as good as new, and probably better than anything you can buy because at the very least you'll know for sure it's history, and because it'll be tailored to you, the way you want it.
So I say go for it, get it painted and refurbed. You won't look back and will continue to have the best vehicle you have owned!
Post #575026 2nd Nov 2016 9:22pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Thanks Guys Thumbs Up

Made a step forward last night by ordering the new doors.

Needed a stiff Whiskey after that purchase came out my account I must say Shocked

I am doing this with the intention to keep it, but will see what happens in the mean time while it is away.

As I say my biggest priority at the moment is getting out of rented accommodation and into my own home which in the South East is no mean feet at 25 years old. Our current rent is £950 a month on a 2 bed flat, once you have added in council tax, heating, other bills before food were paying £1300 a month to live. I need to do something about that as my wages are not going up any time soon and now is the time to buy.

If selling her means I can get a house and buy a cheaper Defender to do up again (which lets face it is the best bit of defender ownership) then mind must rule over heart.

That said, I would still rather sell off everything else I own instead (and may well have to!)

In the mean time though, build diary will progress!

Firstly with photos of the new doors when they turn up and then hopefully soon after the roof and sides coming off for galvanised cappings to go on! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #575451 4th Nov 2016 2:36pm
shaggydog

Ugh. What a faff!

Front end all came apart nicely which is good until it came to the timing itself.

I locked the crank in the correct position but it was very very tight to put the locking pin in the injector pump to lock it it was very very tight and impossible to slide smoothly in and out.

Once the belt was off, it was clear that the timing was out as I could ether get the crank and the valve sprockets or the crank and the injector pump but not the valves.

I loosened the injector pump adjuster which allowed me to get the belt on and slide the injector pin back and forth smoothly. The tensioner was then tightened and timing checked again which was shown to be good.

Everything tightened back up again and new bolts in timing cover fitted. Then darkness fell so hard you could hear the thump which curtailed events so I came indoors for a cup of tea, doughnut and hot shower.

Also managed to start getting the galvanised cappings in etch primer and then paint

Tomorrow morning is an early start, get the pipework all plumbed up and fitted then start, go for a test run to get up to temperature and fingers crossed all is well! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #579905 23rd Nov 2016 7:31pm
bm52

hope everything goes to plan tomorrow
Post #579906 23rd Nov 2016 7:33pm
shaggydog

Thank you Very Happy

Its always that Schroedingers moment where it is both fixed and broken when you turn the key initially Laughing Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #579915 23rd Nov 2016 8:20pm
bm52

Schroedingers Defender, now that's a thought Confused

Had he had a Defender he might have saved the cat !
Post #579916 23rd Nov 2016 8:26pm
shaggydog

Not sure, I think he has been reincarnated in the form of Caterham Laughing Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #579921 23rd Nov 2016 8:45pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I generally start it up and run it for a few seconds with the cover off, just to make sure it's all set up corrrectly before reassembly and plumbing it all in again. Just make sure the timing pins etc. are all out otherwise expensive noises will happen.

To insert the FIP timing pin you have to put a 22mm socket/spanner on the main FIP nut and take the spring pressure off it, otherwise it will not slide in/out freely. The FIP will not sit 'naturally' at the correct position like the crank and cam will.
Post #579935 23rd Nov 2016 9:24pm
shaggydog

I ran it round just with a spanner twice and checked everything and it all seemed to be working ok. I didn't start it, I have heard enough horror stories about running belts with the guards off. Plus I didn't want to risk any damage to my brand new head (this time last year funnily enough!)

Interesting your point about the spring, I did notice it seemed to be moving in and out as if it was on a spring when I was turning it all over.

I didn't realise it would not fall into place easily, everything else I have seen or read made no mention of it. It was the only way I could get the belt on though. The pump didn't rotate as freely as the crank, it definitely felt like it had pressure peeking and stopping it from sitting in position.

Wish you were closer I could really use someone who has done it before sat on my shoulder keeping an eye on things Sad Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #579951 23rd Nov 2016 9:55pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
so timing was out? i wonder if your turbo back pressure is cured with timing set properly! don't forget to check and keep me posted fella! Thumbs Up My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #579957 23rd Nov 2016 10:19pm
shaggydog

Sorted!

Much to my relief after putting it all back together and filling with coolant she started first time and relaxed into life.

First impressions are a bit more responsive and less smoke which can only be a good thing. As far as I can see the turbo is still doing its heavy breathing thing, but to a lesser degree.

It has made me notice my tappets need adjusting so thats next on the list but will probably do that when I get her back.

Anyway, On to the bodywork!

First the Galvenised parts were given a through clean to remove any oil and muck.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

They were then given a few coats of Etch primer.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I then gave them a quick coat of Blue. Not the best but as its only going on as a protective layer before being rubbed back and painted it will do for now!

Click image to enlarge

It was at this point I realised my very obvious mistake. Bonus points to anyone who can spot what is wrong with the parts above?

Answers revealed tomorrow! (unless someone spots it before...)

Also, I had a long think and reflected on my poll I did about a year ago....I think? Cant remember.
Anyway, I have decide to paint them on the outside, but leave them Galvenised on the inside. This way she still looks original from the outside, is still protected by the awesome power of galvanisation but on the inside it shows the work which has been done to her and keeps her true to herself.

Also, while posted elsewhere, here are pics of the new doors!!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This did come at a dear cost though, as I somehow have lost my Profile picture. Literally lost it, I have no idea where it went and I cant find it. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #580261 24th Nov 2016 11:20pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Glad to hear the belt change went okay. It's a satisfying job. Re. running with the cover off - I've never heard any horror stories. Running for 10 seconds will cause no damage.

For the bodywork, I would suggest that the rivet holes being filled with galv is potentially your problem there? And if you didn't T-wash the galv parts before the etch primer the paint may fall off eventually.
Post #580332 25th Nov 2016 10:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 15 of 19 <123 ... 141516 171819>