↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Dogs in Defenders
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
Dogs in Defenders
We're thinking of getting a dog, Doberman is top of the list at the moment, wifey is mixed on that and may well want a Beagle (although I think I can win her over Very Happy ).

The question is about travelling with a dog in a defender, do dogs get travel sick or anything like that? If they do suffer from that type of thing, is there a way of easing it so it can travel? We plan to put a dog guard behind the back seats in the 110 (probably this one: HERE) so it'll have some room to mooch about and get comfortable.

Do you travel with your dog? Do they cope with it, allowing for all the usual things like regular stops, drinks and comfort breaks. We'll get it a doggie passport so the furthest it'll go is down to the Alps but mostly it'll be where ever we go on a daily basis.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Post #417320 19th Apr 2015 5:46pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
my collie was fine as long as the air con was on or the windows were open, panted otherwise. It is big jump up and down when they get older so go for something you can lift up or down

Click image to enlarge
 DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy

Last edited by LR90XS2011 on 22nd Apr 2015 5:45pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #417326 19th Apr 2015 5:56pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
My jack x lanc loves travelling and would easily go round the world in the back of the 110 Thumbs Up she used to come to work with me every day and even had nights out in the lorry with me at one point.....great company (I used to have to hide her going into the docks though Whistle )
Post #417332 19th Apr 2015 6:07pm
Rickydodah

Dogs do get motion sickness. Start getting the dog used to the car as early as possible, not necessarily going anywhere but just used to it as an evironment. Excitement and anxiety cause a lot of problems but they can normally be overcome. Good luck with whatever dog you get.

Click image to enlarge
 I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #417338 19th Apr 2015 6:19pm
walfy

Our WCS was car sick a couple of times until we stopped feeding him before a journey. We now leave 1hr between food and travel now and no issues what so ever.
Whenever the 110 or Volvo are open the dog is in the boot waiting to go on a trip. The 110 has a standard full height cargo barrier but the Volvo has a genuine fitted dog cage. Dog has no issues with being in a cage in the vehicles what so ever. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #417395 19th Apr 2015 9:01pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Of course dogs get travel sick like 2 leggers so do some don't Rolling with laughter every dog is unique its what's makes them fab

Click image to enlarge
Post #417396 19th Apr 2015 9:05pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Our Border Collie made her first car journeys the day with picked her up at 8 weeks. Th first to the vets for health check and blood sample (breeder very keen on checking for genetic diseases, etc) and then 7.5 hours back down to Yorkshire from Forfar. That was in the Range Rover, but she has since done numerous long and short journeys in my 90 and has never been sick. She either settles down to sleep or watches the world go by. At the mo she travels in her wire dog crate but we are trying to get a Travall tailgate guard (like in the pic a few posts above), so she can be loose in the back too, if needed. Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #417428 19th Apr 2015 10:20pm
Projectblue

England 
My bull terrier was fine until I took her on a long journey, at night in bad weather, in the back of a hard top. Poor thing was sick all night.
After that I got her a harness and fastened in to a seatbelt and let her ride up front. She loved it. She would sit and watch for the first 15-20 minutes and then after that she'd curl up and go to sleep Thumbs Up New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #417441 19th Apr 2015 10:48pm
Rosso_NI

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 110 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Galway Green
As said above introduce them as early as possible, i had my lab in cars straight away, bit of whinning to start but every time i stopped somewhere i would open boot and treat her or take her for a quick walk, think she associated it then with going somewhere different, she now loves being in the car or Defender

Post #417450 19th Apr 2015 11:20pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Our GSD loves being on the back seat of our DC. His eyes close and he falls asleep almost the minute you start the engine!

Click image to enlarge

He quite likes being able to lie down and look out of the window. We use a pair ok the Nakatenaga rear window vents from 4x4overlander so he can have a sniff without sticking his head out and so there is plenty of fresh air.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #417467 20th Apr 2015 7:15am
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
Our Lab never has any issues with being in the back ( large crate ) and if the door is open will jump straight in.

We have a yellow lab so my only regret is we should have got a black one............ or beige carpets .
Post #417507 20th Apr 2015 10:06am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Mum's dog, a Cocker, travels very happily in the back of the car. Either on the seats (she takes up the whole row if she has the chance) or in the boot. She always has a harness on and attached to the seatbelt, or if she's in the boot attached to the head rests. In the boot it's enough to stop her flying through the windscreen but still give her space to nest.

The nice thing about the car for her is that all her favourite people are around her and she's got a captive audience for cuddles. She sometimes looks out of the window, sometimes curls up and sleeps, she's always happy. Sometimes when you have a break she boings out, sometimes she's happy to just sit with the boot open and watch the world go by.
Post #417564 20th Apr 2015 12:52pm
Mr Baldylocks

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Tired now. Snigger

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Life is one big adventure, that's why we have the vehicle for the journey.
Post #417568 20th Apr 2015 1:02pm
Buccaneer

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Atlantis Blue
Bored and cheesed off whilst i had a new radio fitted.

Click image to enlarge
 The Rules:-
1 Buccaneer comes back alive.
2 Chicks dig scars.

GB260
Post #418194 22nd Apr 2015 5:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1