↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Athens to Scotland 2014
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
lrMike

Greece 
Athens to Scotland 2014
It's been 4 years now since we first got our Land Rover and treated it like being a member of the family. All these years we visited some remarkable places around Greece but never got the chance to take it abroad. So the idea came up on a rainy winter night...

A trip for the coming September to it's birthplace... The holy grounds of the Land Rover factory in Solihull and the brother land of Scotland, Because Greece and Scotland are interconnected since the ancient times (but more on this later)!

The route will be as follows and all suggestions for corrections, deviations and places to visit and stay overnight are welcome especially now that we are in the final planning phase.

1)Athens to Patra and then Ancona by ferry.
2)Ancona to lake Como (thinking of staying for two nights in Bellagio and have a trip around the lake)
3) Como to Alsace through Switzerland (thinking of staying in Colmar and visit the wineries and scenic small towns of Alsace)
4) Alsace to London (just to remind me of my wonderful university time for two days)
5) London to Liverpool (this is the day I am going to visit the Land Rover factory)
6) Liverpool to Edinburgh (The Athens of the North)
7) Visit around the most scenic places of Scotland (Thinking of going through Inverness, Glen Coe (as a skyfall super fan!!) , Ballachulish, Isle of Skye, and back south to Glasgow.
Cool Glasgow to Kent
9) Kent to Chamonix
10) Chamonix to Sienna
11) Sienna to Ancona and then back to Patra and Athens

For some overlanders who went around Africa several times this trip might just soundlike a ... trip but for me and my family is an adventure.

So there are three major goals.

1) First goal to visit the birthplace of my Land Rover and make the factory tour. I will be with my wife and my one year old son (at that time) so I need a bit of help here. How I can arrange this tour and how I can ask for a focus in the defender line. Is it allowed for my son to be with us or not and if not, where I can leave him with his mother for the duration of the tour? Any other recomendations more than welcome.

2) Second goal is to visit my brotherland, Scotland. I personally admire the culture and morale of the Scotish people. I believe we have many things in common much more than the same flag colours and the wild spirit. I am sure this connection is still active even after all those years after Pytheas' trip (325 BC) to the Land of Darkness (Darkness is "scotos" in Greek and this Scotos-land --> Scotland)

3) Third goal to visit some extraordinary places on the way north and south. The Italian finesse of the lakes and the medieval scent of Sienna combined with the lovely colours and wines of Alsace and the stunning beauty of Switzerland will be the cherry on the cake.

So... from all the kind people here I would like to have some insights and ideas, maybe some tips and accomodation proposals, hotels, etc. Camping is not an option even though I am very fond of it because of the baby. I need one more year to get him into that !!

I will be very glad to hear from all of you and maybe meet some of you.

Mike
Post #320588 31st Mar 2014 8:30pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Hi Mike,
If you are coming September time why not call in at the Peterborough show either going up or down country?

Would suggest that you say go up the West side of the country and maybe have a detour into North Wales Solihull and the Lake District.

On way back come down East coast, holy Island in Northumbria, then Gods own county of Yorkshire.

It will be an adventure for you so enjoy it Thumbs Up

Brendan
Post #320693 31st Mar 2014 11:17pm
lrMike

Greece 
Hello Brendan,

Very nice ideas, especially the opportunity to meet some of you in the Peterborough show.

I am trying to complete this whole trip in maximum 15 days and this is what I am doing now, setting the places we are going to visit and where to stay.

I will inform you when everything is finalised after your suggestions and our research.

Mike
Post #320717 1st Apr 2014 8:08am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Blimey Mike that is ambitious!

Athens to Edinburgh is about 3,000 km, at least 6,000 km round trip or 400km per day. Say 5 hours driving per day plus nappy stops for Mike junior!

I would suggest you either allow more time for your trip or just drive through mainland Europe more or less non stop.

Scotland will take at least a week.

Glasgow to Dover is 500 miles, 8 hours non stop driving, throw in nappy changes, the M6, the linear car park know as the M25 and say a minimum of 12-14 hours.

If all you want to do is drive every day, all day go for it, if you want to enjoy it I would suggest a rethink. Either more time, a shorter route or less places where you want to spend time.

Brendan
Post #320729 1st Apr 2014 8:45am
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Sounds like an amazing adventure.

I can recommend the Solihull factory tour.

A lot to do in 15 days, you're basically crossing a continent.
Post #320736 1st Apr 2014 9:15am
lrMike

Greece 
leeds wrote:
Blimey Mike that is ambitious!

Athens to Edinburgh is about 3,000 km, at least 6,000 km round trip or 400km per day. Say 5 hours driving per day plus nappy stops for Mike junior!

Brendan

I missed to tell you something here. I allow 15 days for the mainland Europe trip that means excluding the Patra to Ancona ferry trip. Unless I persuade my wife and her mother that I am going to sail through the Adriatic sea with my land rover like the man who crossed the Bering strait (but more ambitious Smile !!

So to sum things up it will be around 4.600 km for 15 days and that makes around 300km per day. Some days will be more some much less. But I believe that it's not too much especially for my family that is used to the "luxurious" ride of the defender in some of the Greek forest roads for more than 3 hours.

Mike
Post #320743 1st Apr 2014 9:58am
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Don't forget you can visit Hadrians wall in Scotland, so you would have been to the extent of his empire Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #320795 1st Apr 2014 3:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cuthbert

You mention Liverpool and Glasgow in your proposed plan.

Visit either in a Land Rover and you will probably be returning to Greece by bus. If you stop at a red traffic light the locals will have the wheels off your Defender before you can say "I come in peace"! Both are very primitive places.

Visit Edinburgh and observe how many 'Parking Attendants' will follow you about trying to fine you for some minor traffic violation.

Stick to the rural areas - there you might survive for a few days. Glencoe is spectacular if it's not raining and was also used for filming 'Highlander'. As for Inverness and Skye - you will probably find a lot of pleasant English people in residence. Tell us your interests and I'm sure we can suggest some more interesting roads and attractions.
Post #320890 1st Apr 2014 8:54pm
lrMike

Greece 
Thank you for your very "interesting" tips Cuthbert.

I never thought of being in such a danger while being in the cities that you mentioned. Is it only around those two cities or should I take some very serious extra precautions anyway while traveling around the UK?

The only theft precaution that I currently have is an Ardcase pedal lock since here Defenders are useless for thieves.

During the day of visit in the Land Rover factory at Solihull I was thinking of Liverpool for the night stay in order to split the trip from London to Scotland in two parts thus being less tiring.

Since you propose to stick around the rural areas for the night stay what would you suggest after I leave Solihull on my way up to Scotland?

Mike
Post #320929 1st Apr 2014 9:51pm
MussEd

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
The guy's trying to plan a Major trip and you're offering 'comedy' scare stories about how likely it is his car will be nicked? Very helpful...

Loads to see and do in Glasgow(new Scottish transport museum is a must) and Liverpool(revamped docklands inc Beatkes museum?) ...and loads of nice places to stay. And for the record if you pay for your parking(admittedly expensive) you'll have no trouble from Edinburgh's army of parking attendants...
Post #320945 1st Apr 2014 10:29pm
Cuthbert

lrMike wrote:
Thank you for your very "interesting" tips Cuthbert.

Since you propose to stick around the rural areas for the night stay what would you suggest after I leave Solihull on my way up to Scotland?

Mike

Couple of suggestions on the way North - Either the Lake District (see Keswick or Windermere on a map) still in England but 30 minutes from Scotland - spectacular scenery, some high quality hotels, fantastic 'green lanes' up into the hills to explore in your Land Rover (see other reports on green lanes on the forum), probably quite a few other Land Rovers will be in the area. Alternatively head up the M6 towards Carlilse and then take the A7 into the Scottish Borders. Spectacular castles - See Floors Castle at Kelso (Tarzan movie filmed there) and great lunches in the tearoom. Hawick has some interesting attractions. Lovely roads and you can then drop into Edinburgh if you want to see lots of Japanese, Chinese, Italian and English tourists queuing up for the usual tourist attractions. Kelso, Selkirk and Galashiels have some great good hotels and great textile mills if you fancy a cashmere sweater.

What do you want to see in Scotland? I work quite often in Edinburgh and Glasgow and I'm well aware of the areas populated by drug addicts and people who think that pizza is best served deep fried in saturated fat.
Post #321116 2nd Apr 2014 8:35pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Cuthbert wrote:
You mention Liverpool and Glasgow in your proposed plan.

Visit either in a Land Rover and you will probably be returning to Greece by bus. If you stop at a red traffic light the locals will have the wheels off your Defender before you can say "I come in peace"! Both are very primitive places.

Can't comment on Glasgow but Liverpool isn't that bad. you will still have your wheels if you stop at the lights.
While in Liverpool you could do the Beatles tour, go up St Johns tower, go to Liverpool One if your into shopping, visit Albert Dock

Beatles tour
http://www.cavernclub.org/beatles-tours

St Johns tower
http://www.radiocity.co.uk/near-you/tower-tours/

Liverpool One (plus plenty of eating places)
http://www.liverpool-one.com/

Albert Dock
http://www.albertdock.com/ 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #321146 2nd Apr 2014 9:54pm
lrMike

Greece 
Lake district is in my plans should the time allow.

Maybe not for greenlaning as this is not the purpose of my trip, but I guess you can visit around with normal roads as well.

What do I want to see in Scotland?

I just want to be in the stunning sceneries that I have seen all these years, in movies, national geo documentaries, travel guides, etc.

One important question is if I can find hotels with parking and other parking areas with a minimum height of 2,4m generally in the UK. Because in Greece it is very rare, most parking heights are 2m.

Mike
Post #321199 3rd Apr 2014 8:09am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Hi Mike, if you keep away from city centre hotels you should not have any height worries as most have open air car parks.

Brendan
Post #321201 3rd Apr 2014 8:28am
Cuthbert

lrMike wrote:
What do I want to see in Scotland?

I just want to be in the stunning sceneries that I have seen all these years, in movies, national geo documentaries, travel guides, etc.

Mike

On a map of Scotland - unfortunately you will probably have to go a very long drive up to the top, left hand corner to experience much of the spectacular scenery that often appears in magazines, film and documentary programmes. If you can find the A82 road from Glasgow to Fort William - the most spectacular part is from Bridge of Orchy through Glencoe and down round Kinlochleven to Fort William. Fort William itself is a shanty town with little reason to pause apart from fuelling up..

Heading north take the road up the Great Glen past Spean Bridge. Hang left at Invergarry on the A87 towards Shiel Bridge, then the A890 up towards Strome Ferry. You then have some choices if you head towards Ullapool. Just to the North of Ullapool is Stac Pollaidh (a spectacular rocky mountain - google it). Achilitibuie has a lovely restaurant overlooking the Summer Isles and you will feel as though you are on the edge of the World. Lochinver also provides an opportunity for food and rest. Visit these places and you will return to Greece having seen something spectacular - waste your time in Glasgow or Edinburgh and you may return home disappointed.

If Scotch Whisky interests you - plenty of distilleries are open to the public - some are really interesting - others are just a retail experience.

Castles are to be found in huge volumes - one of my favourites is Dunnottar Castle outside Stonehaven on the East Coast of Scotland (google for an image).

Another road and scenery that will impress you - Look for Nethy Bridge (very handy for all the Speyside Whisky Distilleries) on a map and the road over to Tomintoul then Cock Bridge to see Corgarff Castle. Her Majesty the Queen and her husband 'Phil the Greek' have their summer house at Balmoral Castle if you want to see it.

Just a few suggestions for you to ponder over.
Post #321414 3rd Apr 2014 9:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>