↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Landyglass
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Landyglass
Read the current LROI article & actually seen an example..in the glass, I felt it would be a nice thing to have done. Can they come to me, or do they have garages selling & fitting their panels?

If anyone here had had an estate re-glazed by Landyglass, replacing the traditional windows, how securely fitted, from an anti-break-in POV, is the glass used, i.e could the glass be prized away from how its fastened? Enough (as a side benefit) to reduce insurance premiums?

Can Landyglass also do security etching at the same time? Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #346186 19th Jul 2014 1:18am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Why not 'pm' Claire or Dave Wright they are both members on here and they ARE Landyglass? Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Here are some answers from my experience of having it fitted.....

They do not come to you.
They have regional fitters that the glass is delivered to and fitted at their own premises.
I had my XS done and sold the take out windows to another forum member to aid offsetting the cost.
The windows are bonded and will not come off.
It is an extra security layer taking into account how easy it is to gain access with standard windows.
It will not reduce insurance premium as it is not Thatcham approved.

Security etching....I am unsure if Landyglass do it but it is easy enough to do yourself at home.

It is an excellent product and completely changes the characteristic lines of your vehicle if you have a SW. Aids security by adding another layer, is easy to clean and prevents dirt/grit/moss collecting and cultivating in your sliding window runners. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #346206 19th Jul 2014 8:55am
ClaireWright

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Hiya...we do travel reasonable distances as time allows with bookings etc,dave is in Harrogate today fitting someone's vehicle.people can come to us at our unit as well.
Your best bet is to visit the website or ring Dave direct and discuss options and ask his advise,after all he has been in vehicle glass for 30 years and knows his trade inside and out.
Post #346251 19th Jul 2014 12:34pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I recently complimented the side and rear quarter panels with the Safari Door Landyglass with LED high brake light. (My heater element was shot anyway). I can now see using the rear view mirror again after 5 years as the glass being tinted and not a film is non reflective. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #346252 19th Jul 2014 12:38pm
Phatcat

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Claire,
It is my truck that Dave has just fitted the landyglass to.
I've wanted it in for a while, but decided now is the time as I'm doing a light ' rolling restoration ' .
Dave left his neck of the woods at 6.30 this morning. ( was going to bring Claire, but he knew she'd spend too much in Harrogate girly shopping!) Whistle I thought the torrential rain would have put him off, but he did all the work under his van awning.
It really is an excellent product, and when you see how easy it is to remove the rear quarter glass , makes the vehicle a lot more secure.
Dave makes the installation look easy, but I'm sure I would have ended up with the glue all over my paint had I done it myself!
I got the sides, rear quarters, rear glass, high level brake light, heated screen fitted, with a wiring loom to fit before the winter arrives.
Really pleased with the end product.
Post #346279 19th Jul 2014 3:53pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Thumbs up from me for LandyGlass!

However, of you'd done a search first most questions would have been answered Rolling Eyes An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #346296 19th Jul 2014 5:35pm
ClaireWright

Normally would go with dave to do the vehicles,but hard week at work and the heat is knackering...so stayed here doing housework,washing and sewing....he got home around 3pm. Very Happy
Post #346298 19th Jul 2014 5:37pm
Lorryman100

I had my SW done and I am delighted with the look and fit. I travelled down from Glasgow to Birmingham with the tin tent and got the glass fitted at his unit. The glass is bonded onto the side skin and it is a very good bond, so much so it would probably be easier to cut into the roof to gain access, JMTW.
Also the glass fitting is only half the job when you take into account the prep work Dave does before he fits his glass panels. the removal of the rear interior trim, liberating the oem sliding glass panel from the body shell, fitting a rubber trim over the bare metal cut out that the original sliding frame was mounted to cleaning the panel before applying a good thorough coat of bonding agent before offering up and fitting the landyglass panel which he ensured was inline and true to the rear body shell. After the glass was fitted he ensured a coachwork finish by filling any gaps between the rear and side glass panels with sealant to give a smooth seamless finish.
I also got the replacement rear screen with LED brake light and the two rear doors glass replaced with landyglass and again no issues with Dave's attention to detail. After seeing the the landyglass fitted in the rear I also got Dave to fit new glass into the drivers and passenger doors which he did the next day. Overall I am delighted with the look off the landyglass and the high standard of the installation. Personally I am glad I got it fitted by the designer and would recommend his work to anyone thinking of getting the landyglass fitted, so go for it you won't be disappointed. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

As to security the glass is tinted which makes looking in the rear difficult. It also takes away the ease of which it is to gain access to the rear interior door handle, Dave was in and had the back door open from the inside in 5 seconds. I was shocked at just how easy it was, btw there was no broken glass.

Some pics of my 110 with the landyglass fitted and Caterhams 110 with the OEM glass for comparison,

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

and all because the missus likes matching shoes and handbags we had to get the Puma to match the tin tent Wink

Click image to enlarge

HTH.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #346302 19th Jul 2014 5:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Riyo

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
Thumbs Up really nice that glass is, looks cool with your colour truck too. Almost looks like the direction the 'new' defender should be going rather than a cough large mini Big Cry
Post #346306 19th Jul 2014 6:05pm
Wangers

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Aintree Green
I'm looking and saving for a set too go thats all good.

Bad side though if your read [url]https://www.gov.uk/tinted-vehicle-window-rules[/url] and compare it to [url]http://www.landyglass.net/store/p7/DEFENDER_TINTED_FRONT_DOOR_GLASSES.html[/url] I think that Dave shoudl have something there that stated that it is for off road use only - ie not road legal.

Such that LG is 35% tint (65% free light) but law states that 70% and 75% free light is the legal minimum.

So rear's only it is then.
Post #346484 20th Jul 2014 1:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ClaireWright

After selling over a 100 sets we haven't had any returned or issues,as when they are in the vehicle the driver can be plainly seen at night and daytime.as opposed to tinted filmed glass which is very dark.
Also the tint on our glass is lighter than a standard ford mondeo which fails the light meter test in the uk as do many other manufacturers
Post #346512 20th Jul 2014 4:15pm
JR

Scotland 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Coniston Green
I really do like Landyglass but need to repaint the 90 first as the paint is knackered!

One question though, what do you do with the Alpine Light windows, I see from the before and after pics (Lorryman100) above that they got something done....
Post #346597 20th Jul 2014 9:25pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Dave film tinted mine for me Thumbs Up An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #346604 20th Jul 2014 9:33pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
OK, thanks Claire & everyone. Given me food for thought. I don't want the back quarterlights done, just the sides. Will call in week for prices etc. Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #346634 20th Jul 2014 11:23pm
Phatcat

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
The back quarter lights are probably the most vulnerable part of the vehicle .
Post #347040 22nd Jul 2014 8:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>