Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Tuning/Performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Crafty1980

United Kingdom 
Tuning/Performance
Hi there!

Just signed up to this forum on recomendation of another contact!
Looks good and looking forward to reading some posts as I'm
About to finally join the world of defenders!

A car I've always wanted to own and looking forward to it! Smile However, coming from an RS4 is going to be a bit of a shock to the system! So here's a starter for 10 question.

How tuneable is the 2.2TDCi?!? Obviously I'm not expecting RS4 figures, but a big more power and acceleration would be nice. I understand that the 2.4 is generally more tuneable due to it being around for longer, but I guess the same will happen for the 2.2 in time won't it?

Any advice on good companies too would be great! I know about the big ones: Twisted, JE, TMD, etc. any others?!? Any recommendations?!

Thanks!

Ben
Post #346837 21st Jul 2014 10:12pm
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi Ben

After hours reading the various posts on here I have just had my 14MY 110 remapped by Gary Wood at Alive Tuning, I went for a more torque biased map which Gary tweaked to suit my needs.

I went to him based on a referral from Lorryman100, Brian is an amateur expert in the various diagnostic tools available for Puma engines and recommended Gary after spending numerous hours doing development work with him.

Remaps are subjective and if you're going to Billing you should have the opportunity to speak to Gary at Alive, Pete at B-A-S
(TMD are BAS agents) and hopefully provide you with the information you need. Good luck, it took me 3 months to make up my mind Rolling Eyes

Cheers
John 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #346844 21st Jul 2014 10:29pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Re: Tuning/Performance
Crafty1980 wrote:
Hi there!

Just signed up to this forum on recomendation of another contact!
Looks good and looking forward to reading some posts as I'm
About to finally join the world of defenders!

A car I've always wanted to own and looking forward to it! Smile However, coming from an RS4 is going to be a bit of a shock to the system! So here's a starter for 10 question.

How tuneable is the 2.2TDCi?!? Obviously I'm not expecting RS4 figures, but a big more power and acceleration would be nice. I understand that the 2.4 is generally more tuneable due to it being around for longer, but I guess the same will happen for the 2.2 in time won't it?

Any advice on good companies too would be great! I know about the big ones: Twisted, JE, TMD, etc. any others?!? Any recommendations?!

Thanks!

Ben

"Coming from an RS4"?...We came from a C63!!......and all is good, very good in fact.
You are going to have a lot of fun, especially with all the "resources" there are in the UK. We in Aus have very little.
Try JE Engineering, from what I've seen, they have a very special product,.....no worries at all if you've got deep pockets!
Pickles.
Post #346862 21st Jul 2014 11:13pm
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
for an avarage 2.2 tdci going with BAS figures as i am still yet to see anyone elses you can easily achieve 170hp

it is advised to fit a larger intercooler and i do belive that with fitting the uprated turbo you can be close to 200hp

Pete at BAS is the master with this ecu not many come close to the development time that he has put in also helping the main tool companys crack the solution to be able to open the ecu to read and write to it

steve 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #346872 22nd Jul 2014 12:25am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ClaireWright

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
IRB for me! About to have some more IRB treatment too Very Happy
Post #346882 22nd Jul 2014 7:00am
TooTall

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green

Greetings Ben

"Ease your worries, Clear-up your woes,
Go into your garage & put stuff into rows."
Post #346884 22nd Jul 2014 7:07am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
RS4 to a Defender, you do know what you have let yourself in for don't you? Rolling with laughter Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #346924 22nd Jul 2014 10:00am
Crafty1980

United Kingdom 
Hiya!

Hah, yeah I do know what I'm letting myself in for. The RS4 has been awesome, and there's no question I'm going to miss the "kick in the chest" like acceleration etc, but it's time to get practical again and go back to my other love for landrovers!

I've had a few landies in the past in various guises. Mostly in the guise of "sheds on wheels". I still have a series 3 which needs too much work to even comprehend right now. That's a job for the future.

Right now I'm finally in a position to not buy a shed and actually have a nice defender which I will (hopefully) keep for years and years.

But we're still back to square one here. Thanks for all the advice so far re tuning. There seems to be a lot out there to look at and research. Need to speak to a few people before making the choice of new 2.2 defender or older 2.4...

Dilemmas dilemmas!
Post #347094 22nd Jul 2014 10:01pm
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
If you're planning to keep it I'd recommend having it fully undersealed and rust proofed by one of the guys featured on the forum, I'm heading to London next week and I'm taking the opportunity to have the work carried out by Zagato the man who wrote the forum guide to rust proofing a defender!!

Enjoy your Landie when you get it Thumbs Up 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #347096 22nd Jul 2014 10:05pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
I have a my2011 2.4 with a remap, Allisport intercooler and VNT turbo all from BAS and I just added an additional air intake.
I've got an appointment for hub dyno testing next week (not easy with a Defender) so I might be able to give you some real numbers soon Thumbs Up

Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #347100 22nd Jul 2014 10:09pm
Crafty1980

United Kingdom 
Thanks for all the replies!

Just while I think of it (sorry to go slightly off topic for a moment)...

If I were to buy a base model defender (even one without a radio in it) is my hunch right that the chances are all the wiring for the radio etc is there behind the dash?!? Or do they literally not install that wiring loom in the factory?

Same goes for heated seats etc... Is the wiring all there??

Thanks
Post #347115 22nd Jul 2014 11:06pm
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
wiring is there for radio and speakers

but no wiring for heated seats though although fcx sell a kit at reasonable price 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #347130 23rd Jul 2014 2:05am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Crafty1980

United Kingdom 
I bloomin' well knew it! Salesman at local dealership was clearly talking complete bo**ocks!

So anyway, back on topic...

If the 2.2 can be tuned to getting on for 200hp, what can the older 2.4 do? Or is it about the same?
In which case, are there any other benefits from the 2.4 over the 2.2?

When was the last 2.4? 2010ish wasn't it?
Post #347157 23rd Jul 2014 8:53am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Both models are great in their own right. Some say the TD5 was the best? What a conundrum eh? If it's performance you're after don't bother. Stick with your RS4 it'll be more economical and not have the characteristics of a block of sweaty cheese. If you end up with the same leaks as a lot of other people it may smell like one too!

Cool Laughing

No DPF has got to be one of the top benefits in my book. Getting rid or modifying the strangle hold the catalytic convertor has on the 2.4 and staying the right side of MOT legislation is easy, either way if you want the very best out of your engine the catalytic convertor can go 'more or less.' Not sure about the DPF though and what, if anything can be done. Next is no 'rev hang' issues on the 2.4 either with the well documented and unpopular holding of revs on over run when changing gear. Having driven both this is just a personal view and I have no desire to get into a 2.4 - 2.2 slanging match. I have also backed my opinion up with the views of others on the following links. Only you can really decide, have a drive of both and form your own opinions as owners have a tendancy to be naturally biased towards the one they have.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic18451.html?highlight=revs

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic19325.html?highlight=revs

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic19272.html?highlight=revs

As you are well aware a Defender is not a vehicle like many others, it's a way of life....rattles, squeaks, knocks, leaks, lack of economy, rot, rust, poor performance and in summation a warts 'n' all vehicle that will consume your time, money and life. If it's a rocket you're after contact NASA and see if they've a redundant Apollo going cheap or keep the one you have, they hold their value very very well. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!

Last edited by K9F on 23rd Jul 2014 10:08am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #347159 23rd Jul 2014 9:19am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I'd echo the comments regarding rustproofing although the quality of the materials and processes used in the vehicle manufacture means there is really no sure fire away of totally rustproofing - other than keeping the thing as free of road salt as possible and regular top ups of whatever rust prevention product you choose.

I always do my own rustproofing, that way you know the job is being to your own satisfaction and not relying on an 'experts' experience initially gained by asking zillions of questions about the process on here before they even owned a Defender. Amazing how quickly people forget Rolling Eyes Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #347172 23rd Jul 2014 10:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>