↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > What's your opinion of the Special Constabulary (seriously)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
What's your opinion of the Special Constabulary (seriously)
I need some advice for my son, Joshua please Confused

He will start studying in Colchester this Autumn and, since he will have quite a lot of time (flexible) on his hands, he wants to get involved in public service. Unfortunately (unlike here) her can't train part time as a paramedic so he has the idea to join the Special Constabulary.
To be honest, when I left the UK 20+ years ago, Specials were considered a bit of a joke ("hobby bobbies") and got little or no respect. They also got attacked quite a lot in rougher parts of the country.
However, Joshua has read up on the internet and is convinced things have drastically changed since then. He insists they get similar training and have the same powers as the regular police. As Colchester is no longer the safe and sleepy little market town I left behind, I am understandably worried for his welfare.

Please can you folks give your opinions, experiences, advice etc. Everything will be very gratefully received Bow down Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #329899 10th May 2014 3:06pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
I used to work next door to a local police station and got to know the police working out of that station fairly well. It is still true that they're not taken as seriously as the full-blown police but the local stations do have a mix of full police and community officers (or what ever their actual title is) and tend to go out in mixed pairs when they're doing something more serious. Oh the whole, they were out policing the school run, local high streets and busy travel periods on the buses and not going head long into high danger situations. It looked to be a bloody good job, to be honest. One chap got to mountain bike all day, riding up to the local lake, back past the schools and had the day to himself. I think the most serious stuff they dealt with was a local family of rat-bags and the anti-social behaviour they put out to the rest of the community.

Second to what I've said, the twin of a good friend of mind became a community officers and decided after a year or two to take it further and became a full-blown police officer so it is something your son could develop further if he decided he liked it. If he decides it's not for him then it's the sort of thing that looks good on a CV. I can't see that there are many bad points to it, to he honest.
Post #329900 10th May 2014 3:16pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Our local special, a woman called Carol is great, just like one of the old type bobbies!
She is friendly always says hello and is interested in any concerns you have.
Post #329904 10th May 2014 3:26pm
a13x

United Kingdom 
^^
Are you referring to PCSO rather than specials? I have not come across an event where specials are not taken seriously. They wear the same uniform, have same powers etc and the general public would not know the difference. They do not get the same training as a regular PC but enough to carry out their role.

It is a great step into the force if that is a route he decides into, however with cut backs etc that may be difficult dependent on the force.

PCSO on the other hand...
Post #329907 10th May 2014 3:32pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Matt,

He would be expected to attend Magistrates Court on occasion to give evidence etc. would this not impinge on his studies perhaps? There are many aspects to this and due consideration would have to be given so it doesn't affect academic success. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #329909 10th May 2014 3:46pm
ZeDefender

I just checked and he says it's Special Constabulary he's after not Community. If he's properly trained and looks "official" I guess it's less worrying Confused Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #329910 10th May 2014 3:49pm
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
A PCSO can not arrest any one only citizen arrest, they don't have all the powers the regular police have, they don't carry batons spray or hand restraints.
They do however get a lot more respect than the old specials used to. 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #329917 10th May 2014 4:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TooTall

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
In a former life, I've worked alongside both C3PO's & Specials.
Frankly if a special gets into bother or has to attend Court - then something has gone seriously wrong.
I think a number of Forces are now only recruiting from within the Police "family" so PCSO & Special's can have a future within the regulars..
TT

"Ease your worries, Clear-up your woes,
Go into your garage & put stuff into rows."
Post #329919 10th May 2014 4:12pm
ZeDefender

Mal - that's my concern too, as well as whether he would have any real security if he got injured on the job.

He's studying sports science with Open University to become a PE teacher, so it does all fit together. Although the courses are full time, studying could be shifted around to make time for additional training.

What amazes me is that he could study anywhere in the world but chooses to live in Colchester. I don't think my wife and I have encouraged it Confused Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #329921 10th May 2014 4:19pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Get him to train at Sandhurst Thumbs Up
Post #329922 10th May 2014 4:22pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Now I'm not one to squash peoples dreams (unless the ask for it...)

One of my cousins studied sports science with he same view to be a PE teacher. Since leaving uni 3 years ago he has been doing voluntary work to boost his cv but still can't find work. Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #329923 10th May 2014 4:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
ken wrote:
Get him to train at Sandhurst Thumbs Up

We don't train coppers there. Very Happy
Post #329927 10th May 2014 4:48pm
ZeDefender

When he's qualified he'll probably go (back) into the International schools network - as long as you don't mind moving to another country every couple of years it's pretty okay. He's interned at Munich and Basel schools already so he probably has a good chance OR he'll stay in the UK and do a proper job. Police force is now looking more likely...

p.s. he wanted to go to Sandhurst but didn't have the grades Whistle Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #329930 10th May 2014 4:50pm
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Military Police as a soldier entrant?
Post #329932 10th May 2014 4:53pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
To be honest Colchester isnt that bad, im nearby in Mersea Island and thats my closest town. It has its troubles like all large towns do.
That said Its not something i'd want do there specially as a volunteer, whether or not he says it will impact on his studies it will (I work with the police as they now share our Fire station, only PCSO's and officers though)
I looked into it as did want to join the police before joining the fire service.
Having said that it is a good thing for future employment (doesnt seem to help that much getting into essex police) but looks good on a CV plus he'll get other training aswell.
I take it he's going to University of Essex? Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #329933 10th May 2014 4:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>