↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > In defence of the DC100
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
In defence of the DC100
So i think its taken me 2 years to accustom to it, but i actually think i quite like it. Yes its not perfect, and its very 'prototypey' like the evoque concept we saw a few years back, but look what that spawned.

I think the DC100, whilst the wheels are horrendous, the windows and roof a little odd and a couple bits missing, has a pretty good look about it.

I mean, look at the way that the recovery points, spare wheel and back end bumper/underprotection have been pretty robustly and intelligently designed:

Click image to enlarge

I'd feel more happy taking that^ off road than my defender as it all looks much more robust and better protected. The ally panels on the current are very easy to damage.

or, for another example, look at the way that the winch is integrated so cleanly without compromising approach angles:
Even the side skirts look rounded off to keep them protected, and i like the LAND ROVER written on them..

Click image to enlarge

Yes, above the 'waist' it gets a bit sci-fi house but i think below the waist (ignoring wheels) it looks good.

I think, then, that they are actually on the right track. Yes the styling is OTT, but aren't most prototypes? I imagine that the real thing will be more toned down, and as such it will seem a lot better to us folk who've slowly being betting used to the DC100.

Here is a '110' mockup which i really like, after that an image showing that the defender wouldn't lose its customisable/accessorisable/go-anywhere nature...

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #318926 25th Mar 2014 9:48am
gprich

Wales 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Can't see a farmer wanting one though - can you? Doesn't have that utilitarian look, can't quite imagine it going into battle either Shocked
Post #318929 25th Mar 2014 10:18am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Hopefully will be tweaked quite a lot by production time, and they need to get rust issues sorted out!
Personally I'm sticking with mine but obviously it won't last forever, or will it at less than 10k miles a year. Rolling with laughter Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #318931 25th Mar 2014 10:40am
g-mack

United Kingdom 
my worry with taking it off road are things like the bumbers! how much will it cost to replace one of those! My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #318934 25th Mar 2014 10:46am
theorangebandit

As a new car I like it. Looks very beefy and suits the modern market perfectly but, it simply doesn't look like a sensible replacement for the defender
Post #318951 25th Mar 2014 12:33pm
theorangebandit

As a new car I like it. Looks very beefy and suits the modern market perfectly but, it simply doesn't look like a sensible replacement for the defender
Post #318952 25th Mar 2014 12:34pm
Sphere

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Keswick Green
I also like it and can't see why farmers wouldn't like it how many have jap double cabs? They need to think about muddy boots, good towing, and yes the cost of replacement damaged bits or mods. I would buy one if these are sorted.
Post #319099 25th Mar 2014 9:53pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
If it towed 3500kg I'd be interested. If people bothered to read the write up at the time there was some good ideas. The one I remembered were seats made from special material that was waterproof and hard to rip. I liked the fact that a winch has been designed to be intergrated into the front. Proper recovery points (there aren't any on the current defender).

iPod style dash, my defender is also my office so phone intergration is vital. I really don't think you could have 16inch wheels because of the brakes.

Looking at the pictures again I think it would be interesting.
Post #319127 25th Mar 2014 10:37pm
timbar

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
That 110 side view is the first one where I've thought I can see where they're going with it. I wonder if what'd happen if they'd turned out a min-spec concept without low profile tyres, steel wheels, single colour non-metallic bodywork ... 2009 110 XS Station Wagon
Post #319176 26th Mar 2014 1:22am
timbar

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of visibility out that back window. Hope the mirrors are as useful as the Defender's ... 2009 110 XS Station Wagon
Post #319178 26th Mar 2014 1:23am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
As I have said all along, if it comes in short wheelbase pickup and can tow 3.5t then fine. If it is as cheap or cheaper than the current one in base spec also good. If it does all that and can give 50 plus mpg solo then I would have one. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #319183 26th Mar 2014 6:20am
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
theorangebandit wrote:

Thats my opinion completely, it looks good but isn't a defender and I don't want one. Thats why I just bought another Defender to keep now, as can see I wont like the next one and would have had no intention on having another if its the DC100.
I appreciate brand loyalty which I have, having only ever owned Land Rovers But that does nothing for me over the competition (which are now capable of 3500 towing capacity aswell) Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #319191 26th Mar 2014 7:53am
Limey

Italy 
gprich wrote:
Can't see a farmer wanting one though - can you? Doesn't have that utilitarian look, can't quite imagine it going into battle either Shocked

Spot on gprich.

Maybe this division amongst Defender owners is caused by the differences in how we see and use our existing Defenders? Maybe anyone using their current Defender as an extremely capable and charismatic car, is more likely to relate to the DC100. While anybody who is using their Defender for work, or as a tool of some kind (or anybody who has done in the past) is looking for something different from the DC100.

Which in itself, would imply that it's an imperfect possible replacement, because the current Defender does both jobs and seems to appeal to both types of buyers.
Post #319212 26th Mar 2014 11:13am
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Limey,

Nail, head. JLR isnt building a vehicle for three-and-a-half tonne tugging farmers, explorers or military sales. Its building a fashionable profit maker la Evoque, with just enough Series/Defender nostalgia to appeal to the machismo and British-is-best brigade.

My favourite version is the yellow convertible that was doing the rounds in the USA, I could see myself cruising down the South of France in that. If the end-of-the line Defender is nothing more than a badge and some bits lying around on the parts shelf, the five hundred quid deposit Ive lodged with my dealer will go towards a DC100.

Peter
Post #319214 26th Mar 2014 11:31am
Setok

Finland 
I look at the DC100, and the '110' version in particular, and wonder to myself, could I forgive them? Then I look at the Jeep Brute from the other thread and think 'no'. The latter looks absolutely incredible, and would appear to have exactly the elements of a proper, working, rough and tough machine including being modular and field repairable (which the DC100 does not appear to be).
Post #319246 26th Mar 2014 3:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>