↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Masai spare wheel carrier
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
redhandluke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Fuji White
I'm saving my pennies in a large vodka bottle for a single arm Safari Equip one from Leeds, that's after the Alive re-map, Alive exhaust, Alive intercooler oh and the okay from the wife Laughing
Post #319669 28th Mar 2014 12:52am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
my mantec has been fitted for 4 years without any issues, surprisingly the paint has not even started to flake (yet) but If I were to be looking for a new carrier, masai looks to be the best bet. I don't like the amount of stress put on the rear x-member from the single mount point versions.
Post #319697 28th Mar 2014 8:34am
Egghead

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
leeds wrote:
OK biased warning, we sell the Safari Equip and Nakatanenga range of wheel carriers and have no personal experience of the Masai wheel carrier.

The Masai wheel carrier is made in Turkey and has a £10-15 price advantage over the UK made Safari Equip one.

The Masai one seems to have a smaller reinforcing bracket/fillet between the two arms.

The Masai one uses shorter fixing brackets then the Safari Equip one, and uses washers for reinforcing tub whereas the Safari one has a proper reinforcing bracket.

The Masai uses three long bolts supplied loose, presumably the space saving redesign to go into a smaller box as the means of attaching the actual wheel.

The Safari Equip uses a metal top hat with three standard welded wheel studs so that the rim is firmly bolted onto the carrier. I think this is a better and stronger design than the Masai

This raises the question what thread sizes have Masai used on their stainless bolts. Standard fine wheel studs thread or? I do know a stainless bolt manufacturer has recommended NOT to use stainless fine thread bolts for this application.

The Masai one has decent online fitting instructions whereas the Safari Equip website does not. However Land Rover Monthly does have a good online guide for fitting a Safari wheel carrier.

Hope that is useful.

Brendan
Some great info there Brendan, thanks. Bow down
Personally, I am on the hunt for the Sonic/Allisport spare wheel carrier but it is turning into a perpetual search! Sad
Post #319714 28th Mar 2014 9:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12