↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > High performance A/C
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
According to his profile, Sandbox has a '97 V8 rather than a Puma, so not really comparable. Having said that, the system should still blow cold air, even if the volume isn't enough to make a dent in the ambient. A leak test and re-gas would probably be a good first step before any major upgrade works.

Beyond that, the comments about insulation are definitely worth considering. Dynamat or similar around the transmission tunnel, seat box and floor will make a real difference to heat transfer from the engine, transmission and exhaust, and something in the roof will reduce the effects of solar gain. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #318917 25th Mar 2014 9:06am
landybehr

Sandbox,
is it a Puma-Defender you´re owning, or a pre-TD4 model ?

Possibly a roof rack with kind of "safari roof" just as once seen on the Series I-III can help? I mean a roof rack and then a sheet of aluminium over the whole length fixed down to it. So that the real roof of the defender is shaded. Then there are only the side panels and floor panels left. A solution here was already mentioned before by others. What do I know, but it makes sense to me that the conventional cars come with a lot more insulation to noise and also temperature, with much more plush between outer steel skin and inner trim. So the sun has to try harder to "send" heat in the car other than by radiating though the screens - tinting might help a little here. And if the insulation comes to the level of conventional cars this way then maybe it becomes obvious that the TD4 A/C is just as good as that of a sedan. (?)
Post #319133 25th Mar 2014 10:51pm
max peck

United Arab Emirates 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Sandbox,

I had the top of the top of the truck wrapped in chrome silver. This helps a lot. you cant see it from the sides just when you look down from above.

Also as mentioned by someone previously, there is minimal insulation on the truck and it turns into an oven.
I applied dynamat and dynaliner on all of the truck. Helps enormously.

Max
Post #319203 26th Mar 2014 10:10am
elyassi

United Arab Emirates 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
in mid summer i feel the heat in my Defender although its brand new Laughing

IMHO you need to check and clean your AC system and insulate you defender.

i had similar case with my (1993 Nissan Patrol SWB) in summer although AC system was all new, i found a shop in Dubai using Dynamat insulation products. they fixed 2 layers (Dynamat Xtreme & Dynamat liner) all over the inside of the car, after that i felt the difference and its worth the money actually.
Post #319701 28th Mar 2014 8:51am
eddy

Australia 
You would be better off to try one of these replacements [url]http://www.aulro.com/afvb/projects-tutorials/159715-aftermarket-c-td5-110-wagon.html a lot more info on the Good Oil section of the Aulro site.[/url]
Post #320186 30th Mar 2014 10:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12