↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > How much better/difference do better shocks etc make?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
keith

Scotland 
Lambley wrote:
bm52 wrote:
- Standard road springs
- quality damper, i use Koni, some use Bilstien etc
- standard front ARB
- upgrade rear ARB from 19mm to 25mm
- use SuperPro bushes on both ARBs
- result = smoother more compliant ride will little sway on the curves and corners and no real impact off road unless you go extreme.

Just my thoughts and set up.

That's what I've been advised to fit but with Bilsteins in place of Koni, not sure why - maybe it was cost. Paddocks do the Bilstein shocks and damper at a reasonable cost so I might go that route, probably Extreme ARB at the rear.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic12583.html?highlight=arb
Post #317475 20th Mar 2014 1:25pm
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Just about to order 4 shocks, rear ARB, steering damper, ARB ball joints and some nice spangly front turrets to fit my 90, is there any parts that I'm likely to need when fitting? I dont want to get half way through and find I've missed something!
Post #319726 28th Mar 2014 10:24am
jimbob7

You may need front turret retaining rings,as the studs are often seized an snap off,top nut on the front shock is often (rust)welded on, due to poor (ZERO) drainage on top of the turret but as yer gots new turrets it dunt really matter. Start with the penetrating fluid today on all the nuts you need to remove and repeat every few days.
Whilst yer there, clean and paint the shock mounts wi some Rustoleum (better than Hammerite) Thumbs Up . Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #319795 28th Mar 2014 3:00pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Lambley wrote:
Just about to order 4 shocks, rear ARB, steering damper, ARB ball joints and some nice spangly front turrets to fit my 90, is there any parts that I'm likely to need when fitting? I dont want to get half way through and find I've missed something!

Which shocks are you ordering, & when you refer to "rear ARB", what are you referring to?
Thanks, Pickles.
Post #319895 28th Mar 2014 10:22pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Quote:
Which shocks are you ordering, & when you refer to "rear ARB", what are you referring to?

Anti Roll Bars Thumbs Up
Post #319898 28th Mar 2014 10:29pm
Lambley

Yep, ARB - anti roll bar, sorry.
Picking up first thing - 4 koni heavy track shocks, a bilstein steering damper (as koni don't do one), a pair of h/d turrets, turret rings (cheers Jimbob7), anti roll bar ball joints and fixings and a Superpro bush kit, I managed to get a brand new Extreme 25.4mm rear anti roll bar of eBlag for £50! Hopefully I'll have things fitted over the next few days fingers crossed.
Post #319912 28th Mar 2014 10:59pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Replaced springs and shocks on my 90 when prepping it for our Australia trip. Springs needed to be right length and heavy duty for the load we are carrying and needed quality shocks with long travel, adjustable and durable on multi surfaces.

Pleased to report after about 4000 miles on Australian black top, gravel (inc heavy corrugations), 4wd tracks ( gravel, soft sand, rocks, etc) that the Koni Heavy Tracks are just brilliant!

There are a really good value price too, compared to other 'top' brands like OME and Bilstein. No need to go for the more expensive Heavy Track Raid versions. Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #319945 29th Mar 2014 4:13am
Lambley

Got all the bits I need now, sprayed nuts and started to loosen some ready for tomorrow, just one last question for anyone who's fitted Koni Heavy Track's - they are adjustable, do they come pre-set for an average Defender? Has anyone had to adjust them and if so is there an optimum or preferred setting?
The instructions are very, very vague!
Post #320079 29th Mar 2014 8:42pm
Lambley

Well, all shocks, ARB and steering damper fitted, only driven for a few miles but it certainly feels more planted, less body roll, much better road manners. I've left The shocks on the std factory settings which I'm told is 1 (softest). The old shocks seemed knackered, they didn't have much damping or spring in them, when compressed they didn't even extend. So far so good. Now for fitting the Superpro bush kit....
Not sure wether to fit it myself or leave to an expert, been quoted between £120 - £150 for fitting during a full service, anyone done one themselves?
Post #320848 1st Apr 2014 8:04pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Yes done a couple. Easier than any other poly kit, but getting the old ones out Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Takes a long time, but nice to do your self as you check many other things, but £120-150 is a good price.

Andy
Post #320854 1st Apr 2014 8:10pm
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
£120-£150 is a good price to change the bushes as stated above ref getting the old ones out, or you could go to Machine Mart and purchase a decent hydraulic press for the same money and do it yourself and still have a press to play with whenever you need one. 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #320856 1st Apr 2014 8:15pm
Lambley

Thanks for above replies.
Is that the main problem then - getting the old ones out? I don't have a press but I do have a mate with a garage across the road! I might be able to borrow one or just keep nipping across. I have all the time in the world and love doing jobs on the Defender but I've never tried bushes. If I did buy a press, what kind would I be looking at?
Post #320871 1st Apr 2014 8:30pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
If you like doing this sort of stuff, then crack on with it, as is a nice job, and you will know it's all done correct, every bolt is tight and covered with copperslip. But you will need a press, but sounds like you've got that one covered Thumbs Up

You'll also the lovely feeling that next time it's really easy Mr. Green

Andy
Post #320876 1st Apr 2014 8:33pm
Lambley

Well, it looks like I've got the use of a 30 tonne press from my mate so Ill do it myself.
Is it worth changing the nuts/bolts while doing it? Any experience? Mine's a 2006 90 so the bolts shouldn't be too bad but wondered if it's worth doing while I'm at it.
Post #321213 3rd Apr 2014 10:11am
dgardel

Italy 
Pam W wrote:
Replaced springs and shocks on my 90 when prepping it for our Australia trip......

with? Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #321251 3rd Apr 2014 1:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12