↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 VNT Turbo conversion spy shots !!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
TD5 VNT Turbo conversion spy shots !!
There have been a few threads on Td5 turbo options in the past... and one thing that gets brought up quite often is the use of VNT (variable nozzle turbos) and the benefits they should bring.
The down side is the need for a custom exhaust manifold, modified exhaust down pipe, modified oil pipes - and which turbo to use - making sure it's matched to the requirements and characteristics of the Td5 engine.

Until now that is....
Here are a couple of pictures of the first prototype -baring in mind that from the outset, this turbo has been designed for the Td5 Smile
So it will bolt straight onto the standard exhaust manifold, it uses a standard exhaust downpipe and also the standard air intake pipe work - literally a bolt on conversion.
But more importantly... it is designed exclusively for the requirements and flow rates of the Td5 engine. It is not one off another vehicle modified to suit a Td5 - which may be far from ideal.

The initial indications are looking promising. Even on a standard map (on an otherwise standard Defender), the turbo makes quite a difference.
It makes more boost from much lower RPM, and the speed at which it makes boost when on the go is nothing but amazing!!!

[url=http:// /][/url]

[url=http:// /][/url]

However....
When remapped to make use of the increased boost pressures at lower RPM.... that's when the fun begins!
Although still early days, and we have 'A LOT' more testing to do before the turbo and its final mapping is completed.
Post #1878 13th Apr 2008 6:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Count me in!!!!!!!!!! Any idea on prices yet so I can put something on Ebay?? (Wife, dog house etc) Thumbs Up
Post #1889 15th Apr 2008 10:39pm
bell-auto-services

Not as yet , ill keep you posted with all the relevent updates in its progress

Regards Pete
Post #1913 19th Apr 2008 8:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bell-auto-services

A bit of an update on cost, we are hopeing to retail the turbo for around £650+ the dredded exchange for old td5 unit..
Post #2016 2nd May 2008 9:44pm
bell-auto-services

Just got of the dyno again after making some changes to my EU2 early defender mapping .

Results are +58.1BHP & +109.9Ft-lb at the flywheel.

Althow my car did not make no where near the LR standard because of some issues i have with the engine at the moment and this dyno does if anything reads less than actual (which is always a bonus),
it still made this super gain over its standard output.

I still have got some final tuning to do to smooth out the BHP curve which insidently you dont actualy feel on the road it just seems to shows on the graph

This was running BAD supermarket fuel just to see what difference i could make on the cheaper stuff Smile

More to follow

Regards Pete

Click image to enlarge
Post #2529 23rd Jun 2008 3:13pm
surf110

Brazil 2009 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Fuji White
Any updates on this? Is the testing phase done?
Really looking forward to this.
Post #10592 9th May 2009 8:03am
Steve B

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Hi,

This looks interesting, If these figures are good then this would completely transform the drive. I have only just got my Defender but it does feel a bit lacking in certain areas.

I was thinking of putting some better turbo pipes on(B.A.S 5 ply Wink ) as the standard ones on inspection are very poor along with an EGR removel kit. I understand this my strangle the engine a little on part throttle.
Will I notice these small changes?

Back to the VNT Turbo, would this be a DIY fitment or is there some other work needed to get it working ?

My Defender is a 2000 TD5.

I would definitely spend the kind of money suggested for these kind of improvements.

Steve

EDIT: just noticed when this was posted, a year ago. Are you still looking into doing this?
Post #11241 23rd May 2009 12:03pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Any news on this yet Pete?

Don't want one of those yucky V6 disco engines in my 110 y'see, prefer my Td5 Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post #13414 26th Jul 2009 6:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1