Print this entire topic · 
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Any Questions
Hi All,

Hope everyone is well???

Hope all vehicles are behaving themselves!

As always any questions/issues just let me know!

Many Thanks

Mike
Post #315455 12th Mar 2014 12:11pm
simonpuma90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Hi Mike do you know if Defender will be available with ISO Fix any time soon and also night heater

Thanks

Simon
Post #315456 12th Mar 2014 12:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi Simon,

At this stage I do not have any information about future products unfortunately.

As soon as I have any information about the next model year vehicle I will let you know.

Many Thanks

Mike
Post #315458 12th Mar 2014 12:19pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Hi Mike,
I'll try this one as it seems that it seems that there is no definitive answer on this or any other forum that I can find.

I own a Land Rover 110 USW 2.4l 2008.

I and others who visit this forum find that the engine will rev between 250 and 1000 rpm when changing up through the gears. In my case it does not matter if the engine is cold or hot.

Having visited two Land Rover dealers and one independent none of them know of a reason why it occurs or a fix for the problem but do know that the problem exists.

My questions are:-

Do Land Rover know of the problem?

If so have Land Rover made any attempt to identify why this occurs?

Have Land Rover come up with a solution?

Hope you can help as it is driving my mad. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #315464 12th Mar 2014 12:48pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi Richard,

This isn't something I have came across before.

Would you mind sending me your VIN via PM and I will see if any of the dealerships you have visited have made our technical team aware of this.

I will also ask for their opinion on the matter.

Many Thanks

Mike
Post #315468 12th Mar 2014 12:58pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I don't think they will have as none took details of the vehicle or even checked it. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #315516 12th Mar 2014 5:15pm
Limey

Italy 
I've got a question Mike if you don't mind.

I have an '04 110 CSW, which has just turned 100,000 miles, although it has been very well maintained (full up to date LR dealer service history) and looks like a younger vehicle. Now, my clutch has recently shown signs that it needs replacement, which I have no issues with at all, as after that mileage it is expected. Just to show I'm reasonable (!)

However, the frames on my rear doors are starting to hole with corrosion in the steel. This is disappointing, in all honesty, but I'm still reasonable, because I would be willing to replace them and foot the bill, but the question is, will LR replacement parts just rust through again?
Post #315615 13th Mar 2014 9:15am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi Limey,

Thank you for your post.

It is a difficult question for me to answer really. It would all depend on how/where the vehicle is being used really. We do not put a time frame on how long parts should last due to every vehicle being used differently.

I am sorry I can not really answer this question for you, I can only hope you do not suffer this same experience again.

Many Thanks

Mike
Post #315627 13th Mar 2014 10:50am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
G'Day Mike, from Downunder.
There's all sorts of posts on the Aussie Forum about "final order" dates in Aus for some Defender models, some final order dates as early as MARCH THIS YEAR for some 130 models, are being quoted.
Can you advise any "Final Order" details at all for ANY Defender models ANYWHERE?......do they exist,....in any situation/country,....or is it all, at the moment, a figment of someone's imagination?
Regards, Martin.
Post #315632 13th Mar 2014 11:25am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hello,

As already discussed Defender production will end in December 2015. So up until then customers can place orders (depending on waiting list of course).

We do not know at this stage which derivatives will be offered for 15MY Defender so the line up may/may not change.

So in short, I am unsure why certain dealerships are not taking orders past March this year.

Many Thanks

Mike
Post #315647 13th Mar 2014 12:32pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Mike,

Knowing that you enjoy a challenge I wonder if you could comment on the following?

Back in July of 2008 a TSB was issued (the text of which is at the bottom of this post) concerning a problem with the piston cooling jets (PCJs) on the early 2.4 TDCi engines. In effect, if for any reason the oil pressure became excessively high, the PCJs would lock into a zero flow condition which would continue until the oil pressure reduced. Typically on cold start-up with cold oil the jets would shut down, and not until the oil temperature rose and the viscosity of the oil (and hence the pressure) reduced would there be any flow.

The inevitable result of this is severe damage to pistons, bores, and other components, usually resulting in the destruction of the engine.

The TSB required the replacement of the complete engine assembly on affected vehicles where the customer complained.

Subsequent to VIN 9A767162 modified jets were fitted and the problem doesn't occur. Various sources (including the TSB) state that Landrover considers that "this issue is now closed".

However many questions remain concerning this particular issue:-

a) Landrover considers that this issue is now closed. Does this simply means that all engines built with the early and deficient PCJs are now over three years old, hence out of warranty, and consequently Landrover has no further liability for engines destroyed by this defect?

b) Alternatively, does Landrover believe that all engines with the early PCJs have now been modified and are no longer at risk of this happening? I cannot see how this can be the case, since within the forum we know of many pre-2008 Defenders running with the original engines in the affected range.

c) Are there any technical reasons to suppose that if any engine hasn't self-destructed by this means by now, it isn't going to? For example, was it that only some early PCJs had this problem but not all, so if the problem hasn't manifested itself by now it is not going to?

d) In the event that a pre-2008 engine (which has been properly serviced, of course) now develops the symptoms described in the TSB and this can be concluded to be due to the defective PCJs, will Landrover undertake to replace the engine (or undertake to consider replacing the engine) at no cost to the owner, since the existence of the TSB clearly acknowledges that there is an underlying problem with the early PCJs and the TSB further acknowledges that the problem is such that it can occur at any time irrespective of age and mileage?

I appreciate that for understandable reasons you may no be able to provide a definitive answer to the last point, but your comments, and any information (and more importantly reassurance to those of us who have early TDCi vehicles) you can provide would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Roger

The text of the TSB follows:-

Land Rover Service Bulletin SSM38792, 2.4 Puma Engine Knock Noise.
Title: 2.4 Puma Engine Knock Noise.
Type: LD - Defender - All Years - Special Service Messages - Engine
Name / Part No: SSM38792
Info Type: Service Bulletins
Version No: 1
Date Uploaded: 21 Jul 2008
Models: LD - Defender
Title: 2.4 Puma Engine Knock Noise.
Last Modified: 21-JUL-2008 09:44
Category: Engine
Symptom: 497000 Engine Noise

Content Issue: Heavy audible knocking heard on start up.
Cause: On start up oil pressures can cause the piston cooling jets, (PCJ), to latch into a zero flow condition. Due to hysteresis effect in design the jets do not unlatch until the engine is warm and the oil pressures lower again. During this time with no pressurized oil jet flow to the lower pistons / cylinder bores, overheat and scuff conditions / damage can occur.

Action: Replace the engine assy but ensure only engines post serial # ELD00080707063602 are used.
This condition will not occur on vehicles post assured Vin# 9A767162.
Engines post the info above are fitted with modified PCJ internal springs and this issue is now closed.
Post #315873 14th Mar 2014 11:07am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi Roger,

Thank you for your message.

TSB's are only there to assist our dealerships in diagnosing faults. They are not recalls, "known failures", common faults etc etc.

So in this situation it would be the same as any other fault. If it is something you are experiencing then I would advise to take your vehicle into any of our Land Rover Approved dealerships for it to be diagnosed. Once diagnosed Land Rover can look into the possibility of contributing towards any repair costs if applicable.

Many Thanks

Mike
Post #315918 14th Mar 2014 2:33pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Mike, thank you! Thumbs Up

Fortunately it hasn't happened to my vehicle (at least not yet) but mine is definitely in the range specified in the TSB.

Roger.
Post #315921 14th Mar 2014 2:45pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Without knocking Mike @ LR (although I probably am), reading through these questions, is there any question he can actually give a definitive answer to?

It's a bit like talking to a politician... Rolling Eyes

Sorry if it offends, but that's just the way I read it.
Post #316016 14th Mar 2014 8:13pm
martinfiattech

England 
Hello mike,
Thanks for your and your teams help with the problems I`am having with my defender and a certain dealer.
The car has since been to another dealer for inspection and they have been in touch with yourselves. Brenda did leave me a message to arrange for works to commence but I could not understand the last few numbers in the phone number she gave me, I`ve been ringing her back but keep getting cut off, if you could get her to give me a ring tomorrow I would be very grateful I promise to keep my phone in my pocket. Or if you could email it to me as well, the old tinnitus is playing up at the moment due to doing double shifts etc.
I will also ring marshalls l/r tomorrow to see what they say.
In the mean time the car has done its first trouble free 211 miles since I got it, and at last I`am beginning to enjoy owning it and not having to wait for a booking date to fix sturgess`s mistakes or finding oil under it.

Thanks martin...
Post #316488 16th Mar 2014 8:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>