↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > What spares do you carry?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
orled

What spares do you carry?
Wondering what spares people take on trips
Probably different UK, Europe and further afield?
Post #310146 21st Feb 2014 8:41am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Where are you planning to go?

Basically you need to work out how well maintained your truck is, how readily available the spare may be and how long it may take to get it if you do break down.

During a trip to the arctic I took starter motor, alternator, belts, fluids, UJs, CVs etc however driving to Switzerland, you don't need much because dealers and spares are readily available
Post #310149 21st Feb 2014 8:45am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #310151 21st Feb 2014 8:46am
Leenorthants

United Kingdom 
Hammer, wd40, duct tape, cable ties, hi lift jack.
Post #310197 21st Feb 2014 10:55am
Josh K

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Orkney Grey
Bulb kit from Halfords, a selection of fuses, basic tools (spanners, screwdrivers, hammer etc), WD40, cable ties, duct tape, spare headlight switch. 2007 (57) Defender 90 (Sold)
Looking for another to replace it.

The road less travelled.... is a muddy one!
Post #310200 21st Feb 2014 11:00am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Spares carried depends on many factors such as:

where you are planning on going

how long time/distance is anticipated on trip

which other vehicles are going

local availability of spare parts etc.

A quick trip into Europe? A good service prior to going.

A 6 month trip, 20,000 miles+, solo vehicle, shortage of local spares, then you would needs a very comprehensive spares/service kit.

Brendan
Post #310207 21st Feb 2014 11:15am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
A spare wheel and an AA card. 
Post #310232 21st Feb 2014 1:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Like all things overland it's a balancing act between weight, space and necessity. The more you carry the higher the chance of a breakdown occurring.

The high priority items have to be things that will stop the vehicle moving balanced against them being replaceable in the field. Running an auto and thus not having the ability to jump start the vehicle means the starter motor is an essential spare, less so on a manual. As we run an electronically controlled vehicle with no option of running without power then an alternator is also an essential.

The TD5 engine will run quite happily (albeit not as efficiently) with many of the sensors disconnected, the only exceptions being the crank sensor and throttle position sensor so on our vehicle those are carried together with a spare ECU (pre-configured for the engine) , spare immobiliser ECU and a Nanocom to reconfigure as required.

The gearbox, with the ECU unplugged, will run in 3rd gear so that's not in the high priority list.

Propshafts, half shafts, CVs etc... can all be repaired (we carry spare UJs for the prop) or removed - blow a CV for example and you can still get to civilisation by removing it.

I carry a number of service items - air filters, fuel filters, wheel bearings, assorted seals and so on. I carry both spare coolant hoses and also some universal hose that can be used to create temporary repairs. Spare fuses, bulbs, relays and other electrical bits and pieces are also carried.

I also carry things that come under the general heading of "emergency bodge materials" which include duct tape and tie wraps (of course), self amalgamating tape (can seal just about any pipe you have on the vehicle), steel putty, tyre repair string, insulating tape, some lengths of wire and crimps.

For tyres/wheels I carry one spare wheel and tyre and then a spare tyre without a wheel together with the kit required to safely move tyres from one rim to another. We use steel rims so they can be beaten back into shape with a hammer should more than one get bent on a rock.

Lastly I carry small quantities of the different oils and fluids, usually 1-2 litres of each oil and a small bottle of brake fluid.

I carry a comprehensive Halfords socket set supplemented by loose tools to compliment the set and fill in the missing items (hammers, hub nut spanner, tyre levers, a small grease gun and so on). http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #310257 21st Feb 2014 2:37pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
UK and Europe?
Absolutely nothing (“… say it again, good God y’all”, as The Temptations would sing). Other than bulbs - legal requirement anyway - and a few spanners and screwdrivers should a bulb need changing or anything need tightening up.

Darkest Africa?
If you need to ask you shouldn’t be going.

Peter
Post #310293 21st Feb 2014 5:07pm
Norm4n

United Kingdom 
Fuses!!
Post #310307 21st Feb 2014 6:03pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Bulbs, fuses, set of filters, prop uj's, wheel bearings, hub nuts, silicon sealer, brake fluid, and more

Andy
Post #310536 22nd Feb 2014 12:13pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
I always carry a basic set of tools, some bulbs, fuses, tie wraps and duct tape. On longer trips I add some oils, cooling fluid, and - most important - credit card and Assistance membership card. Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #310546 22nd Feb 2014 1:03pm
leealanr

2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I have been told that the battery clips as fitted to the latest Puma engines have caused problems on a couple of Defenders in Zambia recently. With Tata now owning LR, they use clips from the Tata Nano.

I live in Ethiopia where spares availability is poor and so have bought two spare sets of these.

I also had a two year service pack delivered with my new 110 CSW from LR, it was poor. Lots of bulbs, one set of filters and not a lot else! Worth ensuring you have a spares bank, if in some of the toughrt parts of Africa.

Kenya is no problem, good dealers and supplies. Ethiopia, is however a different matter.

alan l.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #320232 30th Mar 2014 1:58pm
walfy

I drove my 110 to Croatia 17 days after collection. Spares, none apart from legal requirements. The LR recovery card is sufficient. I did take lots of brew kit though.
I'm off to Croatia again in 4 weeks. I'll have the tools to repair my quad but nothing else. Still under warranty so LR can take responsibility for it 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #320242 30th Mar 2014 2:41pm
spudfan

Ireland 
No one mentioned wiperblades. You don't know it's split or worn until you turn them on in a rain shower. I buy lengths of refills then cut them to size and change them. So if a wiper blade goes I use the spare wiper and fit a new blade in the old wiper and put it in the seat box.
Other spares carried are the basics like, tools, bulb kit, fuses,, topping up oil, clutch/brake fluid, coolant, water, windscreen fluid, small funnel and jubilee clips all in the battery box. Under the middle row seats is a bag containing a towrope, yellow hi viz, torch. Also carry an old oil skin coat for kneeling on if needed. It is amazing how many people have benefitted from the above in someway or another. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #321572 4th Apr 2014 5:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>