↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > For Sale & Wanted > [For Sale]Provent 200, 1 left.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
RockJaw

United States 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
K9F wrote:
Hi Rockjaw,

Just space. Was thinking of popping out the front offside headlamp and looking in there. Ideally I would like the unit accessable though. Ideal fit would of course be not extending the existing pipes much and that is what I am trying to achieve at present. Some pictures would indeed be a great help. On mine looking at the engine from the front rearwards the crankcase breather comes out on the left hand side of the engine and attaches to the airbox inlet front left hand corner. Mounting on the opposite side and extending the pipes from one side to the other of the engine compartment may not be best perhaps?

Thank you. Bow down

actually, yes, that is how we mount on the 2.2 as well. We lead the pipes back from the breather towards the firewall and behind the engine, Then the pipes feed from rear left across to the right following the cable for the windshield washer bottle.

The unit is then mounted a few inches behind the washer bottle and almost in line with the back of the fender vent. ****CENSORED****
Post #326700 28th Apr 2014 4:36pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Behind the left hand wheel strut on mine I have a dustbin of a servo unit and the abs to contend with. I can't fit a fart in there let alone a Provent. Your techies may shed a little more light perhaps?

**Edit** Just discovered my left and your left aren't the same....and I was being a biff and taking the OPs photos as being yours. I am a tw4t at times.

Rolling with laughter

Looking at your installation pictures on the truck P1 of this thread the Provent inlet pipes have more than trebled in length at least if your crankcase vent comes out at the same point on the 2.2 as the 2.4. If your crankcase exit on the 2.2 is on the opposite side to the 2.4 it'll be the Provent exit pipe that must have been extended extensively. Extending the pipes is what I am trying to avoid to maintain filter functionality. Hope that makes sense.

Thank you for your responses.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #326716 28th Apr 2014 5:15pm
RockJaw

United States 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
I was talking about army left (not air force left! Twisted Evil )

"Port side forward" "passenger side" - maybe "10 O'Clock" works? Whistle

Anyway, glad you found your army left and I can understand you being reticent about the length of tubing. We have almost 2 dozen of the 2.2 and all of them are mounted on that same side.

I would also prefer the units to have less tubing, to be mounted a little closer to the breather, but our techies assure me the fittings we have completed are quite stable and will cause absolutely no problems mounted the way they are.

If you can find a spot on starboard side, forward, I can see your logic - yes, I would also prefer to mount there too, but I would also feel comfortable with a fitting where the top of the unit is easily visible and, more importantly, very stable.

Check out page 2 of this thread and see the "before" and "after shots" - I believe the 2.4 and 2.2 have similar positions for their vents and crank port directors. Be sure to use good quality tubing and fittings. See the pic "almost done" and note the quality of the tube and compression clamps used.

Am waiting to hear back from the techies K9, sorry I have no pics for the 2.4 installs yet. ****CENSORED****
Post #326894 29th Apr 2014 2:27am
K9F

Thanks Rockjaw. Got my 150mm X 40mm 1.5mm steel plate today. In on nights tomorrow so weather dependant I may have a fettle tomorrow during the day. Have got a metre of braided 3/4" tubing on it's way from our onboard hydraulic tubing manufacturers but the elbows were too heavy duty for my purpose. May have to have a rummage at my local scrappies to see if there are any 90 degree elbows kicking about. 'Work in progress.' Thank you again for your input!

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #327047 29th Apr 2014 8:19pm
K9F

2008 2.4 XS Provent Installation.
K9F wrote:
I will make it fit! Cool

And fit it does......

After much deliberation, head scratching and trying to overcomplicate the issue I have finally got my Provent to fit.

What was needed....

Suitable 'P' clip.
Efglass or alternative heat resistant tape (about 4")
Three stainless steel M10 35mm bolts, washers and nylocks.
Piece of 1.5mm thick stainless plate 150mm X 40mm.

I wanted to fit the Provent as adjacent to the crankcase breather pipe original run as possible to prevent possible pressure losses by significantly extending the pipes.

The steel plate has three functions, to make the Provent bracket more rigid, to secure the filter within the bracket more securely and to provide an alternative mounting/securing point.

Three holes are drilled and the bracket mounted to the filter.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Dependant on size of 'P' clip (mine was a little too large.) Wrap as much heat resistant tape as is needed to secure the 'P' clip when tightened around the first bend in the air conditioning pipe. Fit the 'P' clip and the stainless steel bracket. This due to bolt head access can only be done without the Provent fitted to the bracket. Fit the Provent to the bracket and connect up. I still need three unions to achieve this final bit.

You can see from this picture that the inlet for the Provent is only a few inches away from the crankcase outlet (My OEM pipe is doubled back on itself for access in this photo). The complete install will only involve about 2-3" of extended piping over OEM and the top and internal filter are readily accessable and the unit stable thanks to the steel plate and central mounting.

Click image to enlarge

Bit of a puzzler this one but got there in the end...... Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Last edited by K9F on 19th Aug 2015 9:02am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #327217 30th Apr 2014 1:16pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
well done Mal, I considered that location but gave up too easily DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #327359 30th Apr 2014 9:07pm
K9F

Thanks Rob, was on the verge of either fitting it on the opposite side of the engine compartment, hurling it over my back fence or sticking it back on here for sale warning those with 2.4XS not to buy it. Probably the middle option seemed favourite yesterday afternoon.

Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #327437 1st May 2014 3:53am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I haven't gotten around to fitting mine yet but I am hoping that it will be easier for me, since I have neither air conditioning nor ABS. Instead I have space under the right hand side of the bonnet!

It remains to be seen if it is enough space.
Post #327476 1st May 2014 9:55am
K9F

Blackwolf you will have no issues whatsoever and it'll be a relatively smooth and easy process to fit. Obviously due to bonnet double skin and shape on the edges it will have to sit lower but on mine that was the ONLY space available unless I wanted to fit it on the opposite side of the engine compartment. Didn't get as far as pulling the offside headlamp to see how much available space was behind there. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #327515 1st May 2014 1:06pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I was wondering if I could find a way to use the wasted space under the plastic wing plate in a creative way, but I am fairly sure that the Provent is too tall. There is a useful space where I don't have an ABS modulator which is probably the best option.

When I get round to fitting it (it's in the queue behind a new clutch and transfer box at the moment) I will post some pictures.
Post #327530 1st May 2014 2:43pm
K9F

Final Install.
Done and dusted. Didn't have to use stainless jubillee clips as pressure release valve operates before pipes would become dislodged but thought it the prudent thing to do.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #327786 2nd May 2014 11:14am
Steve B

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Good job K9F, thanks for taking the time to post pictures it will hopefully help others. Certainly is tight in there.

Sometimes I am pleased mines an old TD5 Very Happy

I have one to fit onto my wife's Freelander2, not much room in there either.

Steve 
Post #327815 2nd May 2014 1:01pm
Macpaul

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Loire Blue
Steve B,

I've got a TD5 too, can you tell me where you put yours?

I'm er, jiggered if I can find a spot. Mine is non-a/c, non-abs, non most things really.

Thanks,

Simon. 2003 Td5 110 Hardtop
Now a 2013 110 USW too.
Post #327853 2nd May 2014 3:46pm
Steve B

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Hello Simon,

My pictures are still on page 1, mines a left hand drive so may be a little different.

Put some pictures up maybe we can suggest somewhere.

Steve 
Post #328093 3rd May 2014 6:44pm
Macpaul

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Loire Blue
D'oh!

Thanks Steve, a case of RTFP I'm afraid.

I see what you've done and I'll try and knock up the same thing.

Best,

Simon. 2003 Td5 110 Hardtop
Now a 2013 110 USW too.
Post #328103 3rd May 2014 7:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>