↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Wiper 'park' problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Wiper 'park' problem
Recently my wipers go too far and end up over the rubber at the bottom of the window when parked or in use, they both do it together, not one more than the other, eventually it will damage the windscreen rubber and the blades. Then every now and then they will go back to the normal or correct position, sometimes correcting themselves after using the front wash facility.

I've heard of the 'park' switches going, but would that mean they both do the same thing? It just seems odd that they return to the proper position on a random basis.
Is there a relay that could have gone or something?
Post #305131 4th Feb 2014 9:39pm
Dave T

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Cairns Blue
The spindle that the wiper arms push onto are like a top hat that fits over the wiper machinism spindle and is secured with a small Allen screw if I remember rightly. On mine this had come loose, new ones are a quid or two, either from paddocks or eBay. 2015 RRS Autobiography SDV6
1994 Def 90 300tdi
Post #305136 4th Feb 2014 9:49pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
my nearside one does the opposite! it parks half way up the windscreen My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #305140 4th Feb 2014 10:05pm
Lambley

Dave T wrote:
The spindle that the wiper arms push onto are like a top hat that fits over the wiper machinism spindle and is secured with a small Allen screw if I remember rightly. On mine this had come loose, new ones are a quid or two, either from paddocks or eBay.

Thanks, I'll have a look at it when I can, but why would both wipers do the same thing if this was the case, surely one wiper would be looser than the other if you know what I mean?
Post #305146 4th Feb 2014 10:14pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Your wheel box teeth could have gone so when the coil runs past them sometimes they may skip a tooth or two. If you take the wheel boxes out you might be able to turn them 180 degrees to the good side of the gear and refit so no more jumping teeth
Post #305173 4th Feb 2014 11:13pm
Lambley

Sorry to rivive an old thread but I've only just got round to looking at this problem, so do you think it could be the wiper wheel boxes that have gone, when the wipers are used there is quite a lot of slack, so sometimes they return to the correct position, sometimes they drop down a bit too much. When they are turned off, I can still move the arms up and down a few inches as though there is not much resistance, I know these are a pain to replace because it'll mean taking the dash to bits, this is the part I suspect have worn, one complete part for each arm....

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]
Post #319024 25th Mar 2014 6:42pm
Lambley

Forget the above post, I've been down to take everything to bits and found that the cir-clip had broken inside the wiper mechanism, that made the bush loose etc on the rotating arm, so if I can find a cir-clip that fits I'm done. I thought i'd put a pic just in case somebody has the same problem.

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]
Post #319068 25th Mar 2014 9:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1