↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Roughly how much.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Roughly how much.....
I've just bought a Pickup, 1989, 67k miles, owned for the last 7 years by somebody that hardly used it, its' done 1000 miles in 7 yrs! Dead solid, great chassis with no welding, 12 months MOT, good interior condition, few rust spots and scratches here and there, but characterful ones.

Now that I've driven it home and had a quick scan over it, there are a few things that need doing, so roughly how much would it cost to get the following things done at a garage before I start to do then myself and get into a mess...

1. No power to the glow plugs, probably a relay or loose connection, electrics are not my strong point
2. Oil leak - looks like a split pipe coming from the top of the head to the block
3. Bleed the clutch, it's been stood for a while and the clutch is right at the bottom and makes difficult changes
4. Service - I would like it servicing before I start using it, brakes, engine, oils, filters etc etc.
5. Check the timing belt - can the belt be checked to see if it needs replacing or if it's been done?
6. A general check over to see if there are likely to be any issues.

I love working on my Defenders and have lots of time but would like a 'proper' mechanic to give it the once over as a starting point. As it's a fairly old vehicle there is no service history other than old MOT's etc to verify the mileage.

Then once I've had all the niggles sorted I can start to do a few other jobs - remove a couple of dents, or change the wing outers, new door seals, wheels and tyres, windscreen seal, new headlining, body respray...... the list goes on.
Any advice would be great. Ta
Post #304502 2nd Feb 2014 8:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1